[Release] Super Haxagon

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by RedHat, Jan 4, 2017.

1. RedHat
    OP

RedHat GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    United States
    Mii Plaza
    [​IMG]
    [Release] Super Haxagon
    A Super Hexagon clone for the 3DS

FAQ

Super Haxagon is a Super Hexagon clone for the 3DS. It runs full speed on the old 3DS, new 3DS, and in citra-emu/citra. Rewritten with plenty of new features, Super Haxagon will provide you with hours of entertainment on your homebrewed or cfw'd 3DS.

Here are some of the NEW features to be excited about!
    • Awesome 3D banner for CIA installs
    • Custom level loading from the SD card
    • Brand new level editor (documentation soon!)
    • Music loaded from SD card
    • Shareable forwards and backwards compatible levels
    • Shadows
    • Less spaghetti code
    • 8 redesigned levels
    • 43 unique patterns to master
    • High Scores saved to db file
    • Multi shape levels
    • Level upping
    • And, of course, further improvements to overall game stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
    [​IMG]
    [Super Haxagon but on Citra with upscaled resolution]

But wait! There's more!

Dump your DSP firmware for CIA builds with this tool to use audio and sound effects. Without it you'll hear nothing!
    ... and if you have any questions about the code or the banner, I'll answer them for you!

[​IMG]
    [One of the more difficult levels]

View More Screenshots

Credits
    Have fun!

(PS: The person who moderates TitleDB can remove my "soundless" version, I will no longer update that!)

utingme, SLiV3R, SMVB64 and 21 others like this.

2. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    I have found that If you want to use the audio from the PC game, It is in a .dat format, so you would have to convert it (I used audacity)
    But from what I have seen so far, it looks great!

Just wondering: which default stages use which songs?

Last edited by TimX24968B, Jan 4, 2017
  3. RedHat
    OP

RedHat GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    United States
    Mii Plaza
    @TimX24968B Gotcha covered. Just check the XML files and you should be able to figure it out. You might need to have the same song on the SD card twice because each level loads it's own music file.

4. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    thanks. Also, game just crashed while hitting "b" a few times going back through menus. "no external file to load! source/main.c main"
    EDIT: nevermind. accidentally tried to load stuff from the SDMC without anything on it.

Also, nice 3D logo, man! not alot of homebrews have those.

Last edited by TimX24968B, Jan 4, 2017
  5. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    might want to mention somewhere that using stereo audio does not work. I had to convert everything to mono for it to work.

6. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    I remember seeing this on homebr3w for a while now. Glad to see it finally got a release!

7. RedHat
    OP

RedHat GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    United States
    Mii Plaza
    You see... It should work. It seemed like it was working fine a while ago then it just... broke. Maybe somebody will figure it out! The primary reason the soundtracks are in mono is to save space on the SD card, but I guess if stereo doesn't work anymore that's no good!

(I think stereo sound makes a bleeping noise, correct? Or did you get something else?)

8. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    got it. I didn't hear anything with stereo.

9. RedHat
    OP

RedHat GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    United States
    Mii Plaza
    How big was the file when it was in stereo? The file is completely loaded into ram -- you might have allocated more memory than the 3DS has.

10. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    it looked pretty similar in size to some of the other ones, but not entirely sure. However, converting it to mono is very easy and has solved the issue for me.

11. RedHat
    OP

RedHat GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    United States
    Mii Plaza
    I released an executable of the level editor, HaxaEditor for you guys to tinker with. I'm trying, with the best of my ability, to update the wiki so everyone can use it!

Haxa Editor Wiki

12. Zabhahs

Zabhahs Goron

Sep 20, 2015
    United States
    Seattle area
    Thanks dude! ill try making some levels, I loved this game on my ipod! (And now my 3ds of course)

RedHat likes this.
  13. Jubash

Jubash GBAtemp Regular

Dec 24, 2014
    Brazil
    I said this on the other topic but need to say again: I LOVE THIS HOMEBREW THANK YOU SO MUCH

14. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    -snip-

15. RedHat
    OP

RedHat GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    United States
    Mii Plaza
    Yess! I'm so glad you like it! Thanks for playing!

16. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    You might want to not put audio files (especially uncompressed ones) in your git repository... because:
    Code:
    Receiving objects: 100% (1324/1324), 113.40 MiB | 547.00 KiB/s, done.

There's a possibility that Github might shut your repository down because of overuse of resources.

Also, you might want to use compressed audio files, like Ogg Opus or another format.

Last edited by julialy, Jan 5, 2017
  17. RedHat
    OP

RedHat GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    United States
    Mii Plaza
    Hmmm, I don't think I've heard of that. GitHub uses a mechanic called "Large File Storage", so if GitHub needs to it'll host the audio binaries over there. For now it should be fine.

18. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    You have to track large files manually using git-lfs: https://git-lfs.github.com/
    The audio files are in the main tree, not in Git LFS. That means everytime somebody wants to clone your repository... the audio files are in the tree.
    You might want to rebase, removing the commit with the audio files, then readd the audio files with git lfs, then force push.

Quantumcat likes this.
  19. RedHat
    OP

RedHat GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    United States
    Mii Plaza
    :wacko:
    Well I guess I learned something about github today, thought it was automatic haha. Are you really certain this matters though? GitHub hasn't contacted me for the entire 7mo the repository has been live.

20. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    I'm not sure if Github cares, but there is a daily 1GB limit for LFS (not sure for repositories, however): https://help.github.com/articles/about-storage-and-bandwidth-usage/

However, if other people want to clone your repo, it will take quite a bit more time to clone your repo then other repositories.