Did this work for you?

• Total voters

Yudowat

That one guy that shows up occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wouldn't just yet. Where did you get your code.bin?
Yes, it does. Here's my original post where I detailed some other information.

So far what I've tried:
  • Reinstalling 1.1.6 Update
    • I deleted my update data and downloaded a fresh update upon launching the title. Still crashes when trying to get into the Main Menu.
  • Reinstalling SaltySD
    • I deleted \luma\code_sections\ and reinstalled a fresh copy of SaltySD (via Smash-Selector, of course). Still crashes
  • Launch default Smash 3DS
    • I've tried via deleting \luma\code_sections\ as well as simply choosing "Press X to select trash 4". Both load correctly and allow me to play.
  • Load an empty \saltysd\smash\ folder
    • Basically a mod with no mods. Still crashes
  • Load a \saltysd\smash\ folder that contains only default files
    • I put a sound subfolder with all of the default BGM. Still crashes
  • Load actual mods
    • I loaded Smash TURBO'D, and the mods DO WORK if I leave my game idle until it shows the sample match among the CPU. Still crashes on Main Menu, but it will also freeze when the sample gameplay tries to load back to the title screen (white screen fade leaves system unresponsive). However, this freeze doesn't happen with minor mods (BGM replacements), so I doubt it's relevant.
  • Disable my Bootmanager
    • I use BootAnim9 to chainload into Luma3DS, but I've properly path changed Luma's arm9loaderhax.bin. Since @shinyquagsire23 mentioned it could be a RAM issue, I tried installing a fresh Luma3DS v5.5 and updating to -61684ecb via StarUpdater (ensuring it updates arm9loaderhax.bin on the root of my SD Card like a normal A9LH payload). Still crashes.
  • Disable L2+Clock in Luma3DS settings
    • Curious if this could have been causing problems, so I tried disabling it. Still crashes.
The only thing I haven't tried yet is reinstalling the entire game. I'm running a CIA version I ripped off and converted from my USA Cartridge (which I bought near launch). I have since lost it, so I can't test if a CARTRIDGE version of Smash will work. I could try reinstalling the game, but I honestly don't think it will solve my issue. Should I try anyways?

knavesmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't just yet. Where did you get your code.bin?
Downloaded via Smash-Selector (which is the thread we're speaking on right now). I also tried using a precomplied code.bin for USA v1.1.6 someone made, but that still crashed on Main Menu. (I should edit that to the list).

Yudowat

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

knavesmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try my one, I really doubt it will change at all but it's worth a shot. https://mega.nz/#!E5xHTIQQ!62d08Kd3RO75hApXlWNDJBRnR6YtpBBD2VJaJLK0N2Y And are all your things one region? (3DS is USA, Update is USA, game is USA, code.bin is USA)
Your code.bin didn't even load the Title Screen. Game crashed after a few seconds of black screen loading. I tried loading via Smash-Selector and from my CIA. Both crashed on load. (Yes, I used the USA one otherwise I wouldn't have been prompted to overwrite an already existing file in \luma\code_sections\).

Yes, my 3DS and my game CIA are both USA. I have not tried any form of region-swapping. Update was downloaded via the prompt on booting an outdated software (Smash 3DS v1.0 in my case), so I am 100% sure it is a USA update.
This does mean no more Salty update CIAs. As for if this will work for every version your system thats going to be a no. This determines the region to download and region to launch the game based on what Region your 3ds is from. So it will work with what ever version your 3ds is.
EDIT: I might make an update that allows to select version, but that might take a bit of time I'll send @Yodowat the source since he wants to take a stab at it. This is not really high on my priority list, so I might just not do it.
For me, Smash-Selector creates 00040000000EDF00.bin in \luma\code_sections, which is the TitleID for the USA version of Smash 3DS. I am 110% sure everything is USA.

Last edited by knavesmith,

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your code.bin didn't even load the Title Screen. Game crashed after a few seconds of black screen loading. I tried loading via Smash-Selector and from my CIA. Both crashed on load. (Yes, I used the USA one otherwise I wouldn't have been prompted to overwrite an already existing file in \luma\code_sections\).

Yes, my 3DS and my game CIA are both USA. I have not tried any form of region-swapping. Update was downloaded via the prompt on booting an outdated software (Smash 3DS v1.0 in my case), so I am 100% sure it is a USA update.

For me, Smash-Selector creates 00040000000EDF00.bin in \luma\code_sections, which is the TitleID for the USA version of Smash 3DS. I am 110% sure everything is USA.
I almost wonder if it's an issue with the music override? It's the only other thing besides actual resources which loads post title screen, but I'm really not sure what else it could be. I've only been testing against the Sm4sh downloaded off eShop since that's where I opted to buy it from at launch, but I'm really not sure what it could be.

knavesmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I almost wonder if it's an issue with the music override? It's the only other thing besides actual resources which loads post title screen, but I'm really not sure what else it could be. I've only been testing against the Sm4sh downloaded off eShop since that's where I opted to buy it from at launch, but I'm really not sure what it could be.
In that case, I'll try downloading Smash 3DS from the eShop and see if that fixes it.
It's not piracy if I already bought a catridge version, right? :c

Before I get off for the night, I want to share the code.bin that Smash-Selector creates for me. Y'know, in case it boots for you guys or something.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1okjvuwad4jr3j/knavesmith_codebin.zip?dl=0

Yudowat

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
In that case, I'll try downloading Smash 3DS from the eShop and see if that fixes it.

Before I get off for the night, I want to share the code.bin that Smash-Selector creates for me. Y'know, in case it boots for you guys or something.
I'd try this out now then and get back to you, but im in australia. This is really confusing...

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had any issues with using my cart other than the menus being a bit laggy, and css having a severe drop in framerate when everything is sliding in. :/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Try redownloading luma, idk if it will work, but might as well try
edit: I can't read

Last edited by ih8ih8sn0w,

Cydget

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did you rip smash off of your cartridge by using braindump? If so, I would defiantly try either downloading it from the eshop or getting it from that iso site. If I remember correctly braindump doesnt make a perfect 100% copy of the game each time, but its normally good enough for rom hacking.
EDIT: just compared your version of saltysd to mine, and they both have the same md5 checksum, so they are the same exact file.

Last edited by Cydget,

Yudowat

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Did you rip smash off of your cartridge by using braindump? If so, I would defiantly try either downloading it from the eshop or getting it from that iso site. If I remember correctly braindump doesnt make a perfect 100% copy of the game each time, but its normally good enough for rom hacking.
EDIT: just compared your version of saltysd to mine, and they both have the same md5 checksum, so they are the same exact file.
Well in that case, @knavesmith 's issue is either his console, or his installed copy of smash. It's really REALLY unlikely, but if you have 2 3ds's try installing the CIA (if you still have it) on the other DS and try loading mods from that one.

knavesmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GUYS! I FIXED IT!

After reinstalling Smash, my system restored my save backup I made when I deleted Smash for reinstalling. That's when it hit me!

What if my save data was corrupted?

It didn't make sense to me since I could load Smash just fine w/o SaltySD, but I gave it a try anyways. A+B+X+Y on boot is the magic combination of destruction.
c5YF7Fh.jpg

Oh yes it does! I have JKSM right here with a fresh copy of my Save Data and ExtData, so I don't mind if I delete my data now.
I proceeded to delete my data, and IT BOOTED PAST THE TITLE SCREEN! :D
I tried my personal compilation as well as Smash TURBO'D. THEY BOTH WORKED!
Since I didn't want to lose my save data, I reinjected both my save and my ext expecting for my game to start crashing again.
IT DIDN'T CRASH! :toot:
So, moral of the story is: Delete your save data and reinject via JKSM.

If you could somehow add this to the OP so that no one else has to suffer through what I did, that would be awesome!

Yudowat

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
GUYS! I FIXED IT!

After reinstalling Smash, my system restored my save backup I made when I deleted Smash for reinstalling. That's when it hit me!

What if my save data was corrupted?

It didn't make sense to me since I could load Smash just fine w/o SaltySD, but I gave it a try anyways. A+B+X+Y on boot is the magic combination of destruction.
c5YF7Fh.jpg

Oh yes it does! I have JKSM right here with a fresh copy of my Save Data and ExtData, so I don't mind if I delete my data now.
I proceeded to delete my data, and IT BOOTED PAST THE TITLE SCREEN! :D
I tried my personal compilation as well as Smash TURBO'D. THEY BOTH WORKED!
Since I didn't want to lose my save data, I reinjected both my save and my ext expecting for my game to start crashing again.
IT DIDN'T CRASH! :toot:
So, moral of the story is: Delete your save data and reinject via JKSM.

If you could somehow add this to the OP so that no one else has to suffer through what I did, that would be awesome!
Congratulations! I didnt even think it would be the save data! Hurry over to reddit and tell that guy with the same issue!

Reactions: knavesmith

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to include a downloader feature to download files to the system additionally to being able to select which ones you want? Kinda like riifs on wii revolution homebrew?

MsMidnight

part time fe modder
Trophies
Website
camilla.hostfree.pw
XP
Country
The code.bin doesnt have any effect for me, but I just did the solution the user did and im trying it right now

Some model hacks work but some dont. Should i delete cache.bin ?

Cydget

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The code.bin doesnt have any effect for me, but I just did the solution the user did and im trying it right now

Some model hacks work but some dont. Should i delete cache.bin ?
I would delete it as it holds no use anymore. For the model hacks, did they work before on older versions of saltysd? Also, do you have any audio hacks; I heard that someone was having others mods become unstable after a audio file played a certain amount of time.

MsMidnight

part time fe modder
Trophies
Website
camilla.hostfree.pw
XP
Country
I would delete it as it holds no use anymore. For the model hacks, did they work before on older versions of saltysd? Also, do you have any audio hacks; I heard that someone was having others mods become unstable after a audio file played a certain amount of time.
Im using super smash music from the iso site so idk. Also i do not like the fact that i need to delete and re inject save file everytime i get a new texture hack. Will this be improved ?

Cydget

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im using super smash music from the iso site so idk. Also i do not like the fact that i need to delete and re inject save file everytime i get a new texture hack. Will this be improved ?
Personally I have never had to delete and re inject save data in order to get mods to work. Smash Selector doesn't really do much with actual patching, its basically entirely saltysd and luma3ds's code injection at play. If it was a problem with Smash Selector, it would be a pretty white or black problem where it either loads or it doesn't. There is one problem that it might have, and that is the fact that the download of the saltysd might be corrupt. So, i'm working on a slightly new version that generates the sha-1 hash, so it can be compared to a non corrupt version without having to upload it and compare files manually. Im almost done with that new feature, but im still debating on whether I have it download the correct hash to the 3ds to display or just post it on the main page of this thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1