[Release] Persona 2: Innocent Sin Undub Addendum

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by AlternativeZero, Jun 3, 2017.

1. AlternativeZero
    OP

AlternativeZero GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2017
    This is an updated Undub of Persona 2 Portable: Innocent Sin

It will replace all of the English voiceovers with the original Japanese ones.
    Original Undub was 99% complete, it only didn’t undub the final cutscene which this update finally does.

Credits:
    Somebody Special (Fluffy Kitty) – Original Undub
    AlternativeZero – Timing, TL and TLC
    Canzah – QC and Update Repack

Notes:

To view the cutscene with subtitles you must set the video mode to “medium” or “original” instead of “wide” in the config.

Because this release contains the actual game itself since a patch will be too big I can't post it here but you can figure out how to get it from my wordpress blog, just search alternativezerosubs on google, otherwise if you have any problems feel free to post them here.

Last edited by AlternativeZero, Jun 8, 2017
    swosho and riesyukira like this.

2. AlternativeZero
    OP

Apr 7, 2017
    I updated the OP a bit to make going to get the game easier, I also didn't directly link the game in my blog just in case the mods don't allow that.

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Undubs are cool, but I would prefer an uncut version of the game. They removed all NAZI references, but honestly the edits were just stupid
    hitlerpersona_610.jpg
    Edit: This is a weird complaint, but I am huge supporter of art integrity. Video games are a form of art and thus I don't agree with censoring them. We have a rating system for a reason.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jun 4, 2017
    chaoskagami likes this.
  4. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    nice one, now we only need to wait until someone translated eternal punishment for psp.
    then i will start playing the p2 games, as i still haven't.

and to those that played them, which do you usually play first?
    IS/EP?

5. AlternativeZero
    OP

Apr 7, 2017
    Me too but sadly the game was censored in Japan, if this was just the western release then you bet many would be more than happy to uncensor the game, myself included and I agree that censoring it was stupid.

Also I don't think it's possible to use the PS1 artwork in the PSP game and even if you can it would look out of place since the coloring is different.

I hear that EP's translation is going great and we might get it soon. Big emphasis on might.

Start with IS then play EP, IS sets the stage for the events of EP and while you don't have to know the events of IS it does fill in some details that you wouldn't get otherwise. Although prepare yourself IS is very easy, shame that Atlus reduced the difficulty but EP is a much harder game.

chaoskagami and leonmagnus99 like this.
  6. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    the left side looks better, that is the uncensored one i guess?

good to know, will do as you advised. thank you

7. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    The left is the uncensored one from original PS1 game.

8. Zander1995

Zander1995 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    If you're a big fan of art integrity, then you should know that it was the original Japanese dev team who chose to change those elements, and that it is their decision what happened to their own art.

If you don't agree with them wanting to change elements of the original game for the remake, then you're not a fan of artistic integrity, you're a fan of ignoring everything but the original even when the original creators want to change something. Not saying you can't want that, just... don't tout yourself as a fan of ~artistic integrity~ when you disagree with changes the original creators chose to make.

9. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    They had these changes not because they wanted to, but because they were forced to. They wanted the game to get out of Japan and the images they used (despite context of the story,) were holding back their release. This wasn't a willful edit, this was an "Edit, or the game stays in Japan again."

10. Zander1995

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    They weren't forced to do anything. The changes were made TO THE JAPANESE VERSION.
    Those changes could have been made solely for the western release, but they were made for the Japanese version of the game when an English release was completely unlikely.

11. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I wasn't finished.
    Quoting from the fan wiki
    Basically despite not giving an official reason behind the censorship, they were still under pressure to censor their original creation.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jun 4, 2017
  12. Kitsu-neechan

Kitsu-neechan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2015
    Finland
    both my utawarareumono psp translation (high resolution graphics imported from original pc release)
    and my zill o'll infinite plus translation (high quality graphics imported from ps2 version) disagree with your statement.

extracting images and converting them between console versions is no more big deal than just changing the graphics to begin with.
    Coloring can always be fixed, especially in this case where you have a target colors to go to. Photoshop is a cool invention :)

the graphics format on PSP IS AND EP are not particularly complicated either. So editing them is not really an obstacle.

Last edited by Kitsu-neechan, Jun 4, 2017
  13. Zander1995

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    Your source is a fan wiki.
    The actual CERO guidelines and code of ethics make no mention of depictions of real people at all. There are games with depictions of real people released in Japan all the time.

Last edited by Zander1995, Jun 4, 2017
  14. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Actually does
    http://www.cero.gr.jp/e/regulation.pdf
    It's obvious that they weren't going to win against a rating system and international release, so they had to make some edits. Which is what I don't agree with, I don't agree with forcefully censoring art for the sake of appeasing the masses.

15. Zander1995

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    Nevermind, I stand corrected. But either way there are games with real people released. And the game doesn't violate the usage of real people's likenesses at all.

And "existing individual" is the key word. It bans turning living people into enemies in order to defame them.

Hitler is dead.

Last edited by Zander1995, Jun 4, 2017
  16. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I literally just showed you
    Screenshot from 2017-06-04 18-20-33.png
    That is the screenshot from the official regulations pdf off their official website
    http://www.cero.gr.jp
    That I even sourced
    http://www.cero.gr.jp/e/regulation.pdf
    Appendix 3: "Banned Expressions"

17. Zander1995

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
  18. Kitsu-neechan

Kitsu-neechan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2015
    Finland
    just for the sake of proving a point,
    hi.png

ofcourse, this was done in 2 minutes using the godawful jpg compressed to hell and back as a source, had i the proper assets, it would look rather better :P

Boricausufire likes this.
  19. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I didn't say they had to be alive. Coupled with the fact that he is still considered a symbol to a political movement. They also censored the swastika, despite having a different meaning in Japanese culture.
    It's obvious that they didn't want to deal with both their rating system disallowing real figures and or symbols based around political movements and still being able to make an international release. So they just opted to edited the game right from the start to avoid controversy caused by the NAZI symbols.

20. Zander1995

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    Again, an international release has nothing to do with why they changed it. And they still chose to change it. It's still their vision for their art.
    And it says "existing" as in still alive. It's so people don't defame still-living people.