Homebrew [Release] OpenSyobon3DS - Open Syobon Action (a.k.a CAT Mario) for 3DS

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think we could get a version of just the banner by itself, so it can be used in the game?
The logo? Sure.

catmario.png
Append it on the original Japanese logo if you'd like.

Last edited by CeeDee,
Reactions: CrispyYoshi

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I also want to confirm what XRaTiX said about the firebars: In level 4, the firebar in this video at 2:45...

Ok I fixed it, but the bug was in all the open source version I found online, so I had to reverse a big part of the worst code I ever seen. I hope I didn't break something important.

Now I have to check the second button to see if I have to fix the code for it too.

I'm having some problem with the Cia, it works fine but hangs the system exiting to menu. Fixed this I'll decide if release or wait to finish the changes requested by the users.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
K is G, H is B, S is Z... It's called rendaku, but then you have to add a dakuten to the character. So ほ become ぼ, however the title has no dakuten.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can't see it at all, well you right it's not a big deal, I should have said "I don't understand" which is more correct, but I'm French so my English is sometimes incorrect or sound weird.

Oh and by the way, thanks OP for the great port
yeah i guess maybe it is not there ;) i thought it was just a little merged and not separate enough, i have seen similar logos before, hard to make out the mark, pixeled etc, but now i think the top of the ほ is just a bit curved and that is why i was feeling lenient, and seeing it when it wasn't there earlier!

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm resizing some sprites to half the resolution and making them look nice... feel free to use them if needed. I'll post more soon, this is what I have done.

upload_2016-4-24_17-24-18.png

upload_2016-4-24_17-24-24.png

upload_2016-4-24_17-24-28.png

upload_2016-4-24_17-59-45.png

Also, I suggest either removing the jump sound effect when moving the cursor between levels, as it doesn't sound good there, or changing it to the effect when Mario moves on the world map in Super Mario 3.

Last edited by CeeDee,

RandomKid150

Translator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm resizing some sprites to half the resolution and making them look nice... feel free to use them if needed. I'll post more soon, this is what I have done.

View attachment 46891
View attachment 46892
View attachment 46893
View attachment 46895

Also, I suggest either removing the jump sound effect when moving the cursor between levels, as it doesn't sound good there, or changing it to the effect when Mario moves on the world map in Super Mario 3.
Cool! :)

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Also, please compile a .3ds version too for GW users :)
dON'T

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe instead of resizing these 2x, then using them, perhaps it could be rendered the game with these at 200 x 120 (half the 3DS resolution) then upscale it to 400 x 240?
That seems a lot more reasonable.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
V1.0.1 is out. Follow the link in the OP.

It has the CIA version (tested on O3DS) and the fix for level 4. Now I need some testers.

Today I'm flu, so I'll take a pause. Next Il work on gui and I would include the resources in the bin with no need to have esternal files (but the save file).

@TheCruel send me the code to use romfs; Thank you, I know how to use it but I prefer to have resources included vith bin2c because I use the HB launcher with grid layout and want my 3dsx to be fully relocable. I already have a version with all sound included in the bin, and plan to include the images to as soon as I change the code to use the scaled down version.

ImCarlosGG

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
V1.0.1 is out. Follow the link in the OP.

It has the CIA version (tested on O3DS) and the fix for level 4. Now I need some testers.

Today I'm flu, so I'll take a pause. Next Il work on gui and I would include the resources in the bin with no need to have esternal files (but the save file).

@TheCruel send me the code to use romfs; Thank you, I know how to use it but I prefer to have resources included vith bin2c because I use the HB launcher with grid layout and want my 3dsx to be fully relocable. I already have a version with all sound included in the bin, and plan to include the images to as soon as I change the code to use the scaled down version.

I tried to open it, but it gave me an error. EUR N3DSXL 10.7 EmuNAND ReiNAND. (9.2 SysNAND).

Last edited by ImCarlosGG,

TheDuckMan64

Chicken nugget.
Trophies
XP
Country
The .cia version is working perfectly for me. I can suspend and close it like any other cia.

EUR n3ds xl, a9lh, luma3ds, 10.7 sysnand

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are the changes needed: https://github.com/nop90/OpenSyobon3DS/pull/1/files

I also changed the save filename just to keep everything in /3ds/<game>/ format

Does gridlauncher not have romfs support? I'm pretty sure it does since I've never had users complain when using my romfs homebrew. Using bin2c isn't necessary really.

Last edited by TheCruel,

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh! Can you double-check that the stars spawn properly at the beginning of level 3 after grabbing the "?"? I think I just saw the stars not spawn when entering the level for the first time (I beat level 1 and 2 before that)

EDIT: Additionally, the SFX in the bonus area of stage 3 clips so much that the audio completely stops playing until it stops trying to play the SFX.

EDIT2: I'm not entirely sure, but I vaguely remember a hidden alternative ending if you let this poison mushroom trail to the right and eventually kill the guy on the bridge, so you can walk through the bridge. Can you confirm this? The port seems to spawn the bridge guy too early to test it (Skip to 3:25):

EDIT3: Is the message when touching the Bowser fire throughout level 4 supposed to say "800`ÃC!"?

EDIT4: In 2-1, I don't think the invisible block above the invisible poison shroom block is supposed to spawn if the poison shroom block is visible. In any case, I can still get around it using a clipping/jumping glitch. Nevermind, I'm supposed to jump at the 4th block from the right of the hole. However, the white pillar things on the ceiling, I think those are supposed to be spikes. Is that a graphical glitch?

In general, I'm noticing a couple of cases where, due to the screen resolution change, the enemies are spawning earlier than usual. Can you shrink the screen resolution (cover the left/right sides with black squares) and prevent early spawning? I think it's affecting how some of these levels are playing.

EDIT5: Oh, yes. That spawning issue is actually making Level 2-2 impossible to play: The player is expected to perfectly line up to hop on the enemies!

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: