[Release] Homebr3w - Simple Homebrew browser and installer

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Wolvan, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Wolvan
    OP

Wolvan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2015
    Australia
    News: And another reason has finally been released! v1.4.0 is up to download for everyone!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

What is this?
    Does looking up and scanning QR codes annoy you? Wouldn't it be much nicer to just browse through all the existing homebrew apps on your 3ds, installing them with a simple click? Then this app is for you!

Presenting: Homebr3w, install or update Homebr3w easily from your 3ds. Now also with QR Code drawing and automatic update check for apps!

Where can I get this? (DOWNLOAD)
    Best place to look is always my Github
    https://github.com/Wolvan/Homebr3w/releases
    It's always going to have the latest release of my App
    You can also use the following QR Code, although that may from time to time be outdated, the App will notify if there is a new Update though
    [​IMG]

The app is also available through the Applist, so you can always reinstall through it if there is a new Version out.

Screenshots
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Changelog

FAQ and Troubleshooting

Credits
    Rinnegatamante - for making lpp-3ds
    ksanislo - for making TitleDB.com and fixing up lpp
    yellows8 - for the base of the Icon and Banner
    3DSGuy - for converting the Wii HBLauncher's theme to CWAV
    TitleDB.com - as Database to pull the apps from
    The people from the /hbg/ Discord, specifically Nai and AFgt - Beta testing

Last edited by Wolvan, Aug 3, 2016
  2. Wolvan
    OP

Wolvan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2015
    Australia
    [reserved]

3. Arck

Arck GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 13, 2016
    Awesome, really useful.
    Now I don't need to download again and again when he have an update.

Can you also add A9LH .bin payload ? (like godmod9, decrypt9 ect...)
    With a .cfg file who say the path to these file :)
    (it's just a suggestion)

Last edited by Arck, Jul 12, 2016
    Koko-Kun and klear like this.
  4. Barawer

Barawer GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    Iceland
    I've been wondering if there's anything like this, had something like it on my wii and it was great. When i saw this post it took exactly 2 minutes until i had it in my device.
    Thank you!! really really great stuff.

5. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    I'm curious why you're proxying requests through your own PHP scripts as opposed to just accessing the titledb site directly?

Koko-Kun, Brawl345, ksanislo and 2 others like this.
  6. Reaga

Reaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    New to the 3DS homebrew. So after I have homebrew on (through ninjhax for example), I can add this to the list of apps and use it to add apps through the 3DS internet connection?

Additionally, can I assume I will still have to load Cubic Ninja and get to the Homebrew Launcher to access this?

7. MiePx3

MiePx3 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Is it possible to replace the homebrew launcher with this? For .3dsx homebrew?
    If so, please add an option to filter things, like unwanted or already installed homebrews. I would absolutely love it!

8. Wolvan
    OP

Wolvan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2015
    Australia
    lpp (at least the build I am using) doesn't really do well with HTTPS and I can't really do POST requests either. The PHP scripts expose a fully GET-based HTTP only API instead.

Unfortunately, Ninjhax2 can not install .cia files. You can download them but you'd need the .3dsx version of FBI to install them. Which also means you need to be on CFW.

9. Reaga

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    I see. So FBI only works on CFW. Is it possible on 11.0 to achieve CFW without a hardmod? If so, might I request a link to such a guide?

I'm trying to get started in homebrew. Haven't even put on Ninjhax yet, just have the game sitting there.

10. Wolvan
    OP

Wolvan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2015
    Australia
    Unfortunately, the answer of CFW on 11.0 right now is either Hardmod or nothing

11. Reaga

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    Oh well. I'll stick to softmods for now. Good-looking app though. Wish I could have tried it. But I don't have the tools nor skills for hard-mods.

12. m2pt5

m2pt5 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2005
    United States
    GMT-5
    Seems good, but most of the apps have no descriptions, just their name again, and no indication of what they do.

Edit: That's more a problem with TitleDB, but it's still an issue.

Last edited by m2pt5, Jul 12, 2016
  13. Wolvan
    OP

Wolvan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2015
    Australia
    As I said, that's a problem with the Apps themselves. TitleDB.com fetches the descriptions directly from the .cia files so the devs should add a description when they make their banner files

14. ksanislo

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    The networking code in lpp-3ds looks like its based off old broken ctrulib examples, and it makes some bad assumptions about having certain HTTP headers available that won't always be there, so there's at least a few things in the TitleDB that will probably glitch it. I'll see if I can get things patched upstream to get better support in here.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Really, it's more of an issue with the apps than TitleDB, but Steveice10 has updated his buildtools package to fill in the proper description in the long name field now, so this will improve as people rebuild new versions of their apps.

15. epicmartin7

epicmartin7 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2015
    United States
    Huh. That's weird. Everything's working fine with the app expect that when I exited out of it, it cut the framerate of my Home Menu in half. Now its just kinda choppy now. Kinda' eerie actually lol. Funny part is I'm running this on a NN3DS XL lol.

16. Wolvan
    OP

Wolvan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2015
    Australia
    Might be lpp's fault. Unfortunately I only have an O3DS so I can't really test on N3DS.

17. epicmartin7

epicmartin7 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2015
    United States
    I honestly think it only happens after it downloads all the title images. I'll do a little bit more testing and see what happens...

EDIT: Seems like it was only a one time thing. So its all fine lol.

Last edited by epicmartin7, Jul 12, 2016
  18. MartinDocNewland

MartinDocNewland Searching for the truth

Jul 7, 2012
    Nice idea but some apps like Sunshell need extra files that you don't provide so they won't work.

19. ksanislo

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    This isn't my app, so I can't speak for if Wolvan wants to try to work around this or not, but there's plenty of cases where it will be an issue. In my opinion, it's up to the app developers to built their software in a manner that can work with it. The ability to include all required files in romfs and embed it inside the archive just like retail games is available for home-brew devs as well, so why not let them support it correctly instead of making a hacky solution to work around design flaws?

20. Wolvan
    OP

Wolvan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2015
    Australia
    As of right now, I have absolutely no idea how I'd provide extra data so I doubt that's going to be something I can implement without ksanislo's backend retrieving or at least telling my app that there is more information to download. I also agree with ksanislo that extra data should be prepacked into romfs or created at runtime by the app when it's dynamic files. Maybe having their apps work on the homebrew browser is gonna give them a push in the right direction, I can only hope at least.