Homebrew [Release] Homebr3w - Simple Homebrew browser and installer

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
Trophies
XP
Country
Well for apps like the ctrHexenII your opinion wouldn't work as the app developer would have to include code that doesn't belong to him/her such as the file needed to play the full game

Wolvan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well for apps like the ctrHexenII your opinion wouldn't work as the app developer would have to include code that doesn't belong to him/her such as the file needed to play the full game
You don't have to pack into RomFS, downloading at runtime is also an option... not sure how legal that is.
Anyways I do see your point, but the files are nowhere linked with ctrHexen2 either so you'd have to search for them anyways

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
Trophies
XP
Country
You don't have to pack into RomFS, downloading at runtime is also an option... not sure how legal that is.
Anyways I do see your point, but the files are nowhere linked with ctrHexen2 either so you'd have to search for them anyways

It's just I can see a lot of new people (Not a fan of the word noob) moaning that certain apps don't work and kick a stink up about it (like they do) and for no good reason. Maybe not include apps that need extra data to run so it saves the moaning?

I love the app by the way, handy to have to keep homebrew apps up to date and know when they are updated, it's something the scene was missing

Wolvan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's just I can see a lot of new people (Not a fan of the word noob) moaning that certain apps don't work and kick a stink up about it (like they do) and for no good reason. Maybe not include apps that need extra data to run so it saves the moaning?

I love the app by the way, handy to have to keep homebrew apps up to date and know when they are updated, it's something the scene was missing
That's an idea. Although it would still rely on TitleDB.com being able to know if an App needs extra data, so not really sure if that is really going to work out that easily

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's an idea. Although it would still rely on TitleDB.com being able to know if an App needs extra data, so not really sure if that is really going to work out that easily

I say just let them all install and let the app developers figure out how to support things... The correct response in an app like Hexen or an emulator is to have the app detect that the files are missing, and to prompt the user to let them know they need to provide these things. How they get them onto the 3DS without pulling an SD card is going to be a different issue all together, but its up to the app developer to resolve, or to be installed via a normal file transfer utility or downloader.

Reactions: MartinDocNewland

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
Trophies
XP
Country

Good point, I'll shut up now lol I don't think it would be easy to add a blacklist to the app itself either.

Thanks again tho

Wolvan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Good point, I'll shut up now lol I don't think it would be easy to add a blacklist to the app itself either.

Thanks again tho
Actually.... a blacklist is already implemented. I just need to set the title ids which I want to blacklist serverside and an app update isn't even required here. Still though, I'd need to manually sort out which apps need extradata which is against the philosophy of just having app devs add their app to TitleDB.com and have it available in the App list.

I think what ksanislo said is without a doubt the best route to go

Reactions: MartinDocNewland

william341

Last remaining VinsClone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The QR code isnt working for me.
Am I missing something? I'm just using the regular camera app.
EDIT: I have to upgrade FBI, ok.

Last edited by william341,

Wolvan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The App has been updated to version 1.1.0, which I definitely recommend updating to since the way the API is being used has been updated. Also, sorting features.
You can just use Homebr3w to download the new version from the title list or scan this QR
SAxqIzL.png

Full changelog in the OP or on Github, for those that care btw.

Reactions: Deleted User

djalmafreestyler

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you for the awesome app.

I have some requests/suggestion:

- make an update option to update the homebr3ew itself.
- make categories, for example: games/app/others etc...to don't have all homebrews in one list

(note: I didn't test 1.1 ver. yet)

Wolvan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you for the awesome app.

I have some requests/suggestion:

- make an update option to update the homebr3ew itself.
- make categories, for example: games/app/others etc...to don't have all homebrews in one list

(note: I didn't test 1.1 ver. yet)
As I said, you can just update Homebr3w by redownloading it from the list, easy as that
About the categories, if ksanislo is ever going to be able to add that, I can put that in as well.

Is there some kind of way to sort CIA apps from 3dsx?
No, I had to drop .3dsx support for now due to some problems with lpp. I'll try to get it running as soon as possible but until then you either have to install 1.1.0 .cia or use 1.0.0 .3dsx

Reactions: djalmafreestyler

Barawer

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I saw at github that you said about 3dsx, thought it was just for app itself.
I wanted to ask as well, is there some kind of way to compare the version i have to the one the app downloads, so ill know if i'm updating or not doing anything?
Thanks! will follow :)

Wolvan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I saw at github that you said about 3dsx, thought it was just for app itself.
I wanted to ask as well, is there some kind of way to compare the version i have to the one the app downloads, so ill know if i'm updating or not doing anything?
Thanks! will follow :)
There is not yet any obvious way. Although you could check the last updated date and see if a new version has come out since you last installed

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is not yet any obvious way. Although you could check the last updated date and see if a new version has come out since you last installed
Might be able to make Homebr3w note the mtime for each thing it installs, and highlight things that have changed. It would still think apps are old if it didn't do the upgrade, but it's a partial solution.

Wolvan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Version 1.2.0 has released which brings generating QR Codes for other 3ds to scan and checking if updates for apps are available!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.