Hacking [RELEASE] GATEWAY 4.0 BETA (Private Beta Program)

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm planning to do the following to my 4.1.0U o3DS (n3DS is at A9LH with 11.0.0U SysNAND and 11.0.0E RedNAND for European CIAs):

- Fix modified AGB_FIRM and TWL_FIRM
- Upgrade to 9.2.0U and create a NAND dump
- Follow Plialect's guide, except after the 2.1.0 OTP part, going back to 9.2.0U
- Install v1 of A9LH
- Install Luma3DS arm9loaderhax on my regular SDCard with 11.0.0U RedNAND
- Use GW's arm9loaderhax.bin on a separate SDCard with 11.0.0U EmuNAND (yes I already have one with Pasta, no I don't mind swapping)

That *should* give me one SD card with Luma, where GBA and DSiWare works (when installed to SysNAND) and one SD card with GW, where everything works what is working now (4.1.0U-MSET+11.0.0U EmuNAND ==> 9.2.0U-A9LH+11.0.0U EmuNAND) with the benefit being on the latest version of GW, not having to worry about the MSET or any other entrypoint anymore), and being able to update the RedNAND (to e.g. 11.1.0U) while leaving the EmuNAND on 11.0.0U, waiting for GW support.

Anything I should do differently?
I won't tell you what you should do, that's your choice ;)
But what you could do is save an SD card maybe, to avoid card swapping and transferring saves. I see two ways to do this:
  • Have Luma boot to sysNAND by default (sysNAND is updatable without losing a9lh if you use Luma) and Gateway boot on emuNAND
  • Or if you don't like doing stuff on your sysNAND, have two emuNANDs. The first one is for Gateway (since you can't configure that, GW always boots there) and the second one is for Luma (look for the "Use second EmuNAND as default" option)

GoodCookie88

rekt em skrubs
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, correct. Because I don't know if Luma3DS, arm9loaderhax, rednand and blablabla are so important. I already googled about it, but anyway... haha
Idk if gw 4 is your best choice, its actually your preference tbh, but I would opt in on a9lh.(a9lh removes the need of emunand which means more space on your sd card, faster boot speed, the ability of restoring a bricked console without hardmod and so on..)

PiXi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Is it normal that GW a9lh payload doesn't have 100% successful boot rate? I use it with BootCTR9 by default.
Luma works great though.

Last edited by PiXi,

iceaco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was trying to figure out how to slap GW on a9lh.
My new question is: Is there any reason to use GW instead of a9lh+luma+cia installer/loader now?
Can I toss aside by GW in a box somewhere now? (maybe after decrypting and transferring save files)

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was trying to figure out how to slap GW on a9lh.
My new question is: Is there any reason to use GW instead of a9lh+luma+cia installer/loader now?
Can I toss aside by GW in a box somewhere now?
Do you like the cheats? Do you feel like you would use .3ds romhacks or would like to have a drag-and-drop solution to play test .3ds files, before converting them to .cia?
If those things don't matter to you, then yeah, toss it in a box or sell it.

If you answer was yes, then you'd have to get BootCTR9, and boot GW's a9lh.bin through that. Since Plailect's Guide makes you use Aurora Wright's v2 A9LH fork, which is not compatible with GW's a9lh.bin.
That, or downgrade to a v1 A9LH fork, or use a compatible v2 A9LH fork.

PiXi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Since Plailect's Guide makes you use Aurora Wright's v2 A9LH fork, which is not compatible with GW's a9lh.bin.

Actually v2 is compatible with GW's a9lh.bin using BootCTR9, tested myself, work great and you can set up your own cool splash screens for each payload. :)
Just don't forget to use pathchanger for Luma binary if you need GBA/DSiWare support.

For those who got A9LH v2 and want to use GW on it you can follow this guide by Cosmic_Link instead of going back to A9LH v1

https://gbatemp.net/threads/downgrade-custom-firmware-is-it-possible.430576/page-2#post-6439675
https://gbatemp.net/threads/downgrade-custom-firmware-is-it-possible.430576/page-2#post-6439675

Reactions: astronautlevel

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually v2 is compatible with GW's a9lh.bin using BootCTR9, tested myself, work great and you can set up your own cool splash screens for each payload. :)
Just don't forget to use pathchanger for Luma binary if you need GBA/DSiWare support.

What? WHAT? Did you just quote me out of context to do what? I already said it works with BootCTR9.

If you answer was yes, then you'd have to get BootCTR9, and boot GW's a9lh.bin through that. Since Plailect's Guide makes you use Aurora Wright's v2 A9LH fork, which is not compatible with GW's a9lh.bin.
That, or downgrade to a v1 A9LH fork, or use a compatible v2 A9LH fork.

I'll even bold the part where I said that.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I accidentally softbricked my 3DSXL trying to update it to 10.x so I could use the Gateway Time Machine to install AL9H. So, I am trading it in today for a New3DSXL, and will try again.

Will I be able to play both GBA and SNES Virtual Console games running AL9H on N3DS?

kibin

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Idk if gw 4 is your best choice, its actually your preference tbh, but I would opt in on a9lh.(a9lh removes the need of emunand which means more space on your sd card, faster boot speed, the ability of restoring a bricked console without hardmod and so on..)
Okay. Well... Thanks, I will think about it and wait. Seems better this way.

Brian jackson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody have a video guide on this because when I boot time machine it like freezes and I also wanna be able to boot Luma and gateway thanks if anybody can help me.

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
hm so , I havent touched my 3ds in a while. I have emunand on 10.something ( it asks for an update) . According to gw tutorial I need to downgrade to 2.0 , will I lose anything ? emunand , save game compatibility , installed cias , anything ?

Also is that private beta compatible with latest emunand ?

Binebina87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hm so , I havent touched my 3ds in a while. I have emunand on 10.something ( it asks for an update) . According to gw tutorial I need to downgrade to 2.0 , will I lose anything ? emunand , save game compatibility , installed cias , anything ?

Also is that private beta compatible with latest emunand ?

You can just update your GW launcher.dat to 3.7.1 or 4.0b and update your Emunand to 11.0. It still works.

However if you want to install the GW a9lh DONT use Gateway's method. Follow Plailects Guide if you really want to set up a9lh.

Timburpton

Trophies
XP
Country
So how exactly would I use a9lh+luma with gateway? Do I need bootctr9?

Can I just use luma's built in payload chainloading?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==