ROM Hack [Release] Fire Editor - Fire Emblem: Awakening's save editor

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Olmectron I actually got Grima as a unit to work with Romhacking, on any map, without crashing, however, it seems the save editor isn't picking him up in my unit list.

What I did was, There's a character ID for "Dummy", I simply made it so that this character ID reads Grima's information, so basically, the character ID is Dummy, but the Unit is now Grima.

Edit, here are some screenshots;

Here is my normals Male MU
thzjuBA.png

Here's Grima;
jw2BVDn.png

Here's Grima's character profile;
7km5Dh2.png

Here's Grima paired up with my MU, having a staredown with the Assassin Risen because the attack animation for Expiration never happened;
C0Z0XQ4.png
Nice! Oh, it's okay if the editor didn't read it, because I only allowed characters with id from 0x00 until 0x34, which is Marth units' id, so I let out Dummy, Merchant and Risens' ids. I was going to fix that, but in the end I left it for the update that'll come SOON(TM). Beware, meanwhile, if you save a file with a unread unit, the unit will be deleted.

I just wanted your save file for seeing how the game saved with your ROM editing, even if it would be different for an unmodified game, it could prove good for a little bit of more insight on how the Grima unit is supposed to be stored in a save file. Or it may only do things more confusing, who knows.

However, if you only changed the ID for loading Grima, I think that means Grima is loaded upon the ID the game says, and that would mean it's not treated as a MU in a unmodified game, after all.

Thanks for all the info and the screenshots! Just one more question. Is the Expiration attack still not working at all? Or does it work but it's a hit or miss situation?

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Nice! Oh, it's okay if the editor didn't read it, because I only allowed characters with id from 0x00 until 0x34, which is Marth units' id, so I let out Dummy, Merchant and Risens' ids. I was going to fix that, but in the end I left it for the update that'll come SOON(TM). Beware, meanwhile, if you save a file with a unread unit, the unit will be deleted.

I just wanted your save file for seeing how the game saved with your ROM editing, even if it would be different for an unmodified game, it could prove good for a little bit of more insight on how the Grima unit is supposed to be stored in a save file. Or it may only do things more confusing, who knows.

However, if you only changed the ID for loading Grima, I think that means Grima is loaded upon the ID the game says, and that would mean it's not treated as a MU in a unmodified game, after all.

Thanks for all the info and the screenshots! Just one more question. Is the Expiration attack still not working at all? Or does it work but it's a hit or miss situation?

It's outright not working at ALL, although I think it's because Vengeance keeps activating, but the animation literally never happens, so you have to press Start to skip the battle, otherwise Grima just infinitely stares at his opponent.

Edit: Removing all activation skills has made the attack work, but it still works buggy, no animation and the damage applies after a huge delay.

I don't know Grima's actual Character ID, but even so, Grima would only work on Chapter 26 and would otherwise crash the game every time the menu is brought up outside of this chapter, the same can be said for other unique units such as Phila, Raimi, Mustafa, etc.

Edit 2: So, not even in Chapter 26 does Expiration actually work, it seems to be specifically hardcoded to Grima's actual character ID, that or to the enemy Unit Grima.

Last edited by DeathChaos,
Reactions: Olmectron

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for your answers, @DeathChaos25. It would seem the only way to make Grima playable as should be, will be ROM editing. You've done a lot of reasearch so far! And it looks like you're nearly there.

I still consider myself as someone who just wrote a byte array parser in Java; I've not even been able to understand ROM editing at all, so far. I think it will be even greater whenever a simple ROM editor for everything is released. Just look at the GBA Fire Emblem ROM hacking scene! It's amazing. You and @UnassumingVenusaur have been putting a lot work on ROM hacking Awakening. I thank you both, and thanks to all of the people in SerenesForest who have done so much too since only 4.5 was able to homebrew!

I don't know why I started saying those things. Maybe it's just that seeing the ROM hacking scene for Awakening start to grow (thanks to recent exploits for homebrew, I would say) is something really exciting for me! I can't wait to see how that scene will be in a year.

--

@SomeGamer I want to do that! However, I'm afraid of having some copyright infrigement issues if I host it myself, because of using original art from Nintendo (the portraits of the units). I would gladly post a "beta" with most of Awakening's features I want, done, and with growing progress in Fates'.

Last edited by Olmectron,

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
@Olmectron

After that sloppy label change, because literally all I did was slap the Grima label unto Dummy, I went and actually got Grima's character, took me a bit more effort though.

shyW3q4.png
cMx3nbv.png

THIS is actual Grima, not a sloppy label change, you can tell because the previous one's name was "Unknown" and so where the labels, these are his actual stat caps (Outrealm Skill is limit breaker), but his base skills where oddly enough only Vantage+ and Anathema.

Expiration is still a no go sadly, so this can only mean it is 100% last map only, and possibly enemy only, will test shortly.

Edit: So, Expiration is 100% Absolutely hardcoded to only specifically work with Final Boss Grima.

jVmc4IJ.png

Last edited by DeathChaos,

Arikaido

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I noticed that modifying the level of a character doesn't up their stats like it would in-game. Is there any way to fix this?
I'm gonna take a stab at this and say that, in just about all FE games, level is independent of stats. It's no different here. If anything, you'll want to drop the level of your character to give yourself more opportunities to gain levels.

While I'm mentioning it, is there any chance you're adding a way to reset the hidden exp for characters? That'd make leveling units you've reclassed multiple times much easier.

PedroKeitawa

Trophies
Website
natsunokaze.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy
This question is very OT but i have to ask: somebody know if is already possibile to edit the save from Fate/If? I see on Fort42 the have codes for the game but my J3DS is on last FW, legit copy of the game, and i have no way to downgrade for turn too use the old browser version.

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
This question is very OT but i have to ask: somebody know if is already possibile to edit the save from Fate/If? I see on Fort42 the have codes for the game but my J3DS is on last FW, legit copy of the game, and i have no way to downgrade for turn too use the old browser version.
Yes, you can. Decompress the save, then hex edit the values!

UnassumingVenusaur

In All Her Gay Glory
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, thanks to help from @RainThunder as well as the earlier help from @TildeHat I did manage to get Severa and Cynthia to be recognized as siblings, by designating Sumia as Cynthia's "father" and Cordelia as her "mother." Now I just need to figure out how to fix the marriages screwed up by editing static.bin.lz....
scr_1_TOP_LEFT.png
scr_2_TOP_RIGHT.png
scr_1_BOTTOM.png
scr_2_BOTTOM.png

Juelz Proasheck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has there been a workaround for the convoy being wiped out and the bonus box resetting when cloning/deleting units? I still have this but it looks like some people haven't had the same problem.

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Actually, that is not true. I got it to work with just save editing. It doesn't show an animation, but after about 30-45 seconds, the enemy will randomly take damage.
I think he meant the Expiration animation. Not sure, though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm sure Olmectron will address this issue in his latest editor soon™!
Yes. soon™

However, as of now, I haven't been able to fix that, yet. It isn't because of the checksum, cause it gets fixed (or the game wouldn't load at all with the edited save).

Strangely, if I replace a character with another character having the hex block the same size, the game doesn't wipe out anything.

Well, thanks to help from @RainThunder as well as the earlier help from @TildeHat I did manage to get Severa and Cynthia to be recognized as siblings, by designating Sumia as Cynthia's "father" and Cordelia as her "mother." Now I just need to figure out how to fix the marriages screwed up by editing static.bin.lz....
Great!

By the way, does anyone know what Dummy's character ID would be within the save?

Edit: Nevermind, I totally forgot I had this.
Or this.

UnassumingVenusaur

In All Her Gay Glory
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aaand now I finally fixed the marriage problem! I just had to find where their support levels with each of the characters were stored and change that. Tharja and Olivia are back together again. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: That 50 gallon drum of lube you ordered arrived, which dungeon did you want it in?