Hacking [Release] CPU Clock Configure Plugin for NTR CFW (New3DS Only)

cell9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
It was recently found that New3DS's CPU clock runs at 804MHz when running system menu or playing New3DS-only titles (i.e. Xenoblade), which is about 3x faster then Old3DS.
However, when running games for old3ds, New3DS will set its clock-rate to 268MHz and disable the additional 2MB L2 cache to simulate the Old3DS's behaviors.

This plugin allows you configure the cpu clock rate and enable the additional L2 cache, which could improve the performance of Old3DS titles running on New3DS hardware. From a simple test, the MGS3 game was more than 2x faster on loading scenes.
I haven't test this plugin on other games, please tell me if you have tried it.

Usage:
Copy cpuclock.plg to /plugin/home in the sdcard.
Boot NTR and start the game, after the Nintendo 3DS logo disappeared and game screen was displayed, choose the 'CPU Clock' item in NTR Menu.
Select the last configure for the best performance, the first one is the default configure for running Old3DS titles.

See Also:
http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware

Attachments

• cpuclock.zip
    5.3 KB · Views: 5,537

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Will test this as soon as I am able. But quick wuestion, wouldn't this obviously drain the battery faster? What about long term effects. Wouldn't it destroy the cpu faster too?

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Will test this as soon as I am able. But quick wuestion, wouldn't this obviously drain the battery faster? What about long term effects. Wouldn't it destroy the cpu faster too?
Well I never heard any battery complaint from N3DS users.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it was designed to be run at that speed so it's not like it's over clocking.

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a side by side on o3DS and n3DS on MGS and Pokemon Y/Omega Ruby. All 3 definitely run much perfectly smooth whereas they had framerate issues before that made them unenjoyable at times. 3D is also substantially improved because of the framerate.

EDIT: is a CIA release possible of this? or is there something prohibiting a CIA from being compiled?

Last edited by Rj.MoG,
Reactions: webtoast

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I did a side by side on o3DS and n3DS on MGS and Pokemon Y/Omega Ruby. All 3 definitely run much perfectly smooth whereas they had framerate issues before that made them unenjoyable at times. 3D is also substantially improved because of the framerate.

EDIT: is a CIA release possible of this? or is there something prohibiting a CIA from being compiled?
They work differently.

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
Might be a really stupid question Does ntr boot cia's. I've never had the need for ntr so don't no. If yes could the retroarch ps1 emulator benefit from this?

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol