Homebrew [Release] CIAngel - download GOOD cias right on your 3ds :)

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My brother just tried CIAngel on is O3DS (luma3ds (not the newest, still called aurei) updated to 11.0) and whenever he types in a word for search and presses the check mark to commence the search CIAngel crashes him to the home menu of the 3DS system, any idea?
Probably lacks a wings.json file. Make sure you're running the latest release of CIAngel, and if there's almost zero load time, select the Download menu option in the main menu to get the latest JSON file.

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably lacks a wings.json file. Make sure you're running the latest release of CIAngel, and if there's almost zero load time, select the Download menu option in the main menu to get the latest JSON file.
Is CIAngel making the folder itself now or does it still have to be made by the user?

mumitroll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Is CIAngel making the folder itself now or does it still have to be made by the user?

Yeah it auto created the folder and downloaded the wings

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to keep up with all the different CIA tools that are floating around (clearly cearp is leading if there is a contest).

I just gave this a try to fix a few games that were giving me problems (erroring out at 99% download for an update or locking up at the 3DS screen when launching) and it did (uninstalled the games, deleted the tickets, used CIAngel to download new CIA files).

HOWEVER, I tried downloading something new that I didn't have previously installed and it just locks up at the 3DS screen.

This bring up the question, assuming whatever is wrong with the new stuff I downloaded is user error, why would anyone need or want anything else? If these CIA files are "good" (or clean) and you have no need for a computer, what else would there be? What is the downside to CIAngel? What are the pro/cons of some of the other apps like CDN-FX or 3DSeSTUFF (or anything else for that matter).

Since I have your attention, what are the pros/cons of the 3DS Title Key site?

AND :) what are these files used for:

decTitleKeys.bin
encTitleKeys.bin
seeddb.bin

(sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to understand all of this).

Last edited by gamecaptor,

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm trying to keep up with all the different CIA tools that are floating around (clearly cearp is leading if there is a contest).

I just gave this a try and it worked perfectly, so this bring up the question, why would anyone need or want anything else? If these CIA files are "good" (or clean) and you have no need for a computer, what else would there be? What is the downside to CIAngel? What are the pro/cons of some of the other apps like CDN-FX or 3DSeSTUFF (or anything else for that matter).

Since I have your attention, what are the pros/cons of the 3DS Title Key site?

AND :) what are these files used for:

decTitleKeys.bin
encTitleKeys.bin
seeddb.bin

(sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to understand all of this).
Some people for one reason or another prefer to use their PC, and use FBI to install. Or use the eShop to install after shotgun-blasting tickets at their 3DS. Some people don't like the UI, or think the search is still wonky, etc etc. People have their opinions, and they're all entitled to them :) Even if I think some of them are wrong ;)

decTitleKeys.bin is a binary file containing decoded titlekeys for a selection of titleids
encTitleKeys.bin is a binary file containing encoded titlekeys for a selection of titleids
seeddb.bin is a binary file containing the 9.x crypto keys for a selection of titleids (These are used to decrypt certain games, either at runtime (If you visit the eShop page and get the key added to your own seeddb) or manually using Decrypt9).

gamecaptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you @Drakia for your reply! That is what I needed to hear. I just went back and edit my post because I realize I didn't convey it correctly.

So with your definition of what those three .bin files are that would probably explain the issue with trying to download and install a new game?

And I agree, I really can't see a need for anything else after this.

Last edited by gamecaptor,

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you @Drakia for your reply! That is what I needed to hear. I just went back and edit my post because I realize I didn't convey it correctly.

So with your definition of what those three .bin files are that would probably explain the issue with trying to download and install a new game?
Yeah, new games require the 9.x crypto key for that game. The easiest way to get it (If the game is your own region) is just visit the eShop page for that game (Yeah, it's that simple, thanks Nintendo). If it's an out of region game, you'll need a seeddb.bin that contains the key for that game, and decrypt the CIA file before you install it using Decrypt9.

gamecaptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wwwoooowww, that's just....wwwwoooowww....(ya, that worked)

Good grief, so, let me take this a step further. For the sake of archival/collecting, let's say the eShop is gone someday and you couldn't access it any more (this will be a reality someday). What would you need to keep around in order to make these work (I'm guessing the Decrypted Title Key and Encrypted Title Key)?

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wwwoooowww, that's just....wwwwoooowww....(ya, that worked)

Good grief, so, let me take this a step further. For the sake of archival/collecting, let's say the eShop is gone someday and you couldn't access it any more (this will be a reality someday). What would you need to keep around in order to make these work (I'm guessing the Decrypted Title Key and Encrypted Title Key)?
If the eShop goes away, all you really need to keep to have a fully working game is the CIA, it contains the titlekey when it's built, and the decrypted titlekey isn't required unless you're trying to actually decrypt the game files yourself.
If you're worried about making it work on other 3DS' with no eShop, then you'd want the decrypted CIA ("Cryptofixed" is the commonly used term). Essentially get the normal CIA with CIAngel, export your seeddb (Or get your hands on one that contains this specific game), and do a deep game decryption in Decrypt9.

Reactions: gamecaptor

Double Jumper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you're worried about making it work on other 3DS' with no eShop, then you'd want the decrypted CIA ("Cryptofixed" is the commonly used term).

Waaaaaait a second... just to clear it up, when a cia is cryptofixed, does it become a "bad" cia? Or is using the terms decrypted cia and decrypted titlekey just a coincidence?

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Waaaaaait a second... just to clear it up, when a cia is cryptofixed, does it become a "bad" cia? Or is using the terms decrypted cia and decrypted titlekey just a coincidence?
Only the CIA content itself is decrypted, the ticket is left untouched (and thus the titlekey is left in its encrypted state), so when the ticket is installed, the game can still be redownloaded from the eShop and such without issue.

Reactions: Xenosaiga and cearp

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
no, the 3ds simply has the extra key needed to play the game, that key is in the seed.bin - separate to the installed game

hiten

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
If it's an out of region game, you'll need a seeddb.bin that contains the key for that game, and decrypt the CIA file before you install it using Decrypt9.

If it's an out of region game (e.g. from Japan), does that mean I have to get the seeddb.bin from Japan 3DS console?

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it's an out of region game (e.g. from Japan), does that mean I have to get the seeddb.bin from Japan 3DS console?
It means you have to obtain a seeddb.bin that contains the 9.x decryption key for the Japanese version of whatever game you're trying to cryptofix. Finding that is up to you though.

Reactions: hiten

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ugh, terminology overload! I don't suppose there is a FAQ or Wiki on all of these 3DS files (i.e. what is a seeddb.bin and what does it do. what is a ticket and what does it do. etc)?
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Main_Page is the go-to. SeedDB doesn't really have its own wiki page that I've seen, but it's mentioned a few places:
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Filesystem_services#SEEDDB
http://3dbrew.org/wiki/NCCH#Container_File_Format

encTitleKey/decTitleKey aren't really official file formats as far as I'm aware, they are just a collection of titleids/titlekeys in binary format.

Anthony D'Amico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I just downloaded this application and it is amazing!!! Never have I come across such a powerful tool for a home console / handheld.

Downloaded "Pokemon Yellow.tik" file and successfully installed it from the eshop.

For any users that may experience an error message when trying to download (Something along the lines of could not download try again later), just close the eshop and reopen, worked wonders for me!!

Running CFW sysNAND a9lh N3DS on 11.0.0.33E

Anthony

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system