• Views 7,238,141
  • Replies 21,664
  • Likes 284

Justin20020

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It wasn't there but I found it. If I select the *.rpl file now, it is still loading.. but nothing changes. with the *.rpx file the emulator will force crash. Did I something wrong here?

sonic1000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Exzap You did something about AMD issues, didn't you? 'Cuz Super Mario 3D World is showing controller screen on my AMD HD 7750. After that, emulator crashes, but it never reached this far before, on previous versions.

Fvy0eAx.png
Does anybody with an AMD gpu see something other than a black screen.

jamieyello

Professional Dumbass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-snip-

Well people shouldn't go out and replace their $300 graphics cards when a couple accommodations would make it work on both.

Even if the only thing AMD is good for is keeping Nvidia/Intel from being a GPU/CPU monopoly, us other users appreciate your sacrifices. Intel/Nvidia pc master race, just when you thought people couldn't get any snobbier.

Kristiqn5

Trophies
XP
Country
I got a question for @Exzap . so Vulkan will increase performance and will make less bugs for the emulator or what?
I saw that it's expected to come out at the end of this year so I'm expecting somewhere in January for it to come out

Growlith1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a question for @Exzap . so Vulkan will increase performance and will make less bugs for the emulator or what?
I saw that it's expected to come out at the end of this year so I'm expecting somewhere in January for it to come out
Using a different graphics library doesn't automatically make the bugs go away, there's a reason DirectX and OpenGL take a while to use directly. Vulkan would improve performance, for actual pc games, but this is an emulator we're talking about, most of the usage will be on the cpu if anything. Vulkan would more or less just be useful for custom enhancements really(IR, AA, AF, etc.)

Last edited by Growlith1223,

Kristiqn5

Trophies
XP
Country
Using a different graphics library doesn't automatically make the bugs go away, there's a reason DirectX and OpenGL take a while to use directly. Vulkan would improve performance, for actual pc games, but this is an emulator we're talking about, most of the usage will be on the cpu if anything. Vulkan would more or less just be useful for custom enhancements really(IR, AA, AF, etc.)
Just asking because I see that all emulator team are talking about Vulkan that they will instantly make it their Main Backend when it comes out

Growlith1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just asking because I see that all emulator team are talking about Vulkan that they will instantly make it their Main Backend when it comes out
I understand lol, im not trying to come off rude, it's just as a programmer, these types of things come up very often with new libraries that come out and promise better performance, the performance of the newer libraries won't change the fps very much without knowing how to actually use one in the first place, This is why Dolphin uses DirectX AND OpenGL, different systems use either better. With vulkan, it won't change very much other than just have the developer learn how to use it, this is an Emulator, not an actual pc game lol, if it were a pc game, then yea, there'd be a fairly large performance increase, but here, you'd see about an estimated 1-2% increase lol. again not trying to come off rude, just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in

Wardoctors

Gamedev1909
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I understand lol, im not trying to come off rude, it's just as a programmer, these types of things come up very often with new libraries that come out and promise better performance, the performance of the newer libraries won't change the fps very much without knowing how to actually use one in the first place, This is why Dolphin uses DirectX AND OpenGL, different systems use either better. With vulkan, it won't change very much other than just have the developer learn how to use it, this is an Emulator, not an actual pc game lol, if it were a pc game, then yea, there'd be a fairly large performance increase, but here, you'd see about an estimated 1-2% increase lol. again not trying to come off rude, just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in
not true at all dx12 and vulkan can give a huge boost to this project as it has for rpcs3 so far and it wasnt some 1-2% it was a huge jump from broken 2d to fully working 3d almost playable so adding low level api's to cemu will do wonders and i hope he adds dx12 and vulkan because both will bring it's own users and own performance boosts one doesnt have

Growlith1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not true at all dx12 and vulkan can give a huge boost to this project as it has for rpcs3 so far and it wasnt some 1-2% it was a huge jump from broken 2d to fully working 3d almost playable so adding low level api's to cemu will do wonders and i hope he adds dx12 and vulkan because both will bring it's own users and own performance boosts one doesnt have
As i said before, a library change isn't going to do good if the application doesn't take use of the key features, but if you want to throw every graphics library into it then by all means, go for it, but this is an emulator, emulators are nearly 70% CPU focused.

EDIT: im sorry but it seems people are misinformed, NOT EVERY GPU ACTS THE SAME WAY EITHER. just because it works perfectly on one system, DOES NOT mean it will work on another system!

Wardoctors

Gamedev1909
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As i said before, a library change isn't going to do good if the application doesn't take use of the key features, but if you want to throw every graphics library into it then by all means, go for it, but this is an emulator, emulators are nearly 70% CPU focused.
and the good news vulkan aka mantle reborn and dx12 will lower the cpu usage another boost to using them both trust me programmers have custom versions of dolphin built that use dx12 and async shaders and up to 8k internal res and the games run great but if tried on dx11 it's slow as can be my work with direct x 12 in my RPG have been amazing huge boosts the more i dive into it

Growlith1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and the good news vulkan aka mantle reborn and dx12 will lower the cpu usage another boost to using them both trust me programmers have custom versions of dolphin built that use dx12 and async shaders and up to 8k internal res and the games run great but if tried on dx11 it's slow as can be my work with direct x 12 in my RPG have been amazing huge boosts the more i dive into it
Processor instructions are not the same as an emulator's instructions, you don't seem to realize this, im not talking about cpu usage as in graphical, im talking actual logic, ARM Conversion, etc. etc., and we come back to my edit, just because it works for you does not mean it works for everyone else. go ahead and look through Dolphin's source, you'll see an enormous Switch/Case that's nothing but ARM codes, this is where most of that usage comes in, do you REALLY think a graphics library is going to take that usage out? lol

Wardoctors

Gamedev1909
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Processor instructions are not the same as an emulator's instructions, you don't seem to realize this, im not talking about cpu usage as in graphical, im talking actual logic, ARM Conversion, etc. etc., and we come back to my edit, just because it works for you does not mean it works for everyone else. go ahead and look through Dolphin's source, you'll see an enormous Switch/Case that's nothing but ARM codes, this is where most of that usage comes in, do you REALLY think a graphics library is going to take that usage out? lol
it has in the past and this will be the same did you ever compare dx11 with dolphin to dx12 cpu usage goes from 100% to 70% and with metal vs opengl cpu usage also drops about 20-30% in os x and if he codes with both api's well enough it will do the same and as for arm cpu's dx12 also helped with the 3d emulator custom builds bringing a huge boost so maybe you are not understanding how direct x 12 works just yet and thats fine at this point leave it at wait and see

Growlith1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it has in the past and this will be the same did you ever compare dx11 with dolphin to dx12 cpu usage goes from 100% to 70% and with metal vs opengl cpu usage also drops about 20-30% in os x and if he codes with both api's well enough it will do the same and as for arm cpu's dx12 also helped with the 3d emulator custom builds bringing a huge boost so maybe you are not understanding how direct x 12 works just yet and thats fine at this point leave it at wait and see
DirectX12 and (i assume) Vulkan take RENDERING calculations and transfers them to the gpu, if you were to put the ARM instruction set onto the GPU's usage, 1 that would be a huge waste of performance, 2, This wouldn't necessarily change very much, yes, you can do multithreaded rendering, but with an emulator, if done wrong, it can cause quite a large desync in sound, Input, etc.

do you realize that DX12/Vulkan isn't the end all save all type of deal? yes, it improves usage a bit, however if a call is not finished in the code, then that performance increase is not even being used. there's a reason Dolphin devs decided not to use DX12 or even Vulkan, it changes very little and if you already have a system that's working perfectly, there's no reason to switch.

Code doesn't run like how you think it does, if there's a call in a method, the entire method that was currently being called, stops until the new method is finished, THIS is why ARM to PC is a pain to optimize...

EDIT: regarding your RPG game, a game that is BUILT off of normal instructions sets does not work the same way as what an Emulator that is BUILT off of ARM sets converted to normal instruction sets

Wardoctors

Gamedev1909
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DirectX12 and (i assume) Vulkan take RENDERING calculations and transfers them to the gpu, if you were to put the ARM instruction set onto the GPU's usage, 1 that would be a huge waste of performance, 2, This wouldn't necessarily change very much, yes, you can do multithreaded rendering, but with an emulator, if done wrong, it can cause quite a large desync in sound, Input, etc.

do you realize that DX12/Vulkan isn't the end all save all type of deal? yes, it improves usage a bit, however if a call is not finished in the code, then that performance increase is not even being used. there's a reason Dolphin devs decided not to use DX12 or even Vulkan, it changes very little and if you already have a system that's working perfectly, there's no reason to switch.

Code doesn't run like how you think it does, if there's a call in a method, the entire method that was currently being called, stops until the new method is finished, THIS is why ARM to PC is a pain to optimize...
the wii u doesnt run a arm cpu sorry so why bring it up only the 3ds does and it runs great you seem very lost in whaterver you trying to talk about and it seems to not be related to the thread in anyway

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso_(microprocessor) this is the wii u's processor in case you don't know

Growlith1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wii u doesnt run a arm cpu sorry so why bring it up only the 3ds does and it runs great you seem very lost in whaterver you trying to talk about and it seems to not be related to the thread in anyway
The wii u uses 2 processors, a separate ARM based processor for the OS and such, the second is a PowerPC processor for the game, my point still stands, an emulator's usage is mostly the CPU based on the entirety of the logic behind a console. my point flew right over your head like it was nothing i see, so really no use in arguing to you that a graphics library change is not going to impact very much. VERY MUCH is the keywords here.

Wardoctors

Gamedev1909
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The wii u uses 2 processors, a separate ARM based processor for the OS and such, the second is a PowerPC processor for the game, my point still stands, an emulator's usage is mostly the CPU based on the entirety of the logic behind a console. my point flew right over your head like it was nothing i see, so really no use in arguing to you that a graphics library change is not going to impact very much. VERY MUCH is the keywords here.
it only handles some of the operations and can be bypassed since we are not using the os just the core functions to play the games so no need to bring it up at all

Growlith1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it only handles some of the operations and can be bypassed since we are not using the os just the core functions to play the games so no need to bring it up at all
my god lol, my point is, the Wiiu's instruction sets are entirely different from that of a, idk, a pc's instruction set, they are very limited and because of this, developers must convert these code sets to that of a, idk, a pc's set and that moving over to Vulkan or DX12 is not going to change very much if at all.

Reactions: samiam144

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...