Region locking & free

dlf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the Wii is region locked, and the PS3 is region-free with PS3 games, but could a complete list (separated by system and what that system does) be posted that's is region (free|locked)?
DS|Wii|PSP|PS3|XBOX 360

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DS- no region locking aside from some roms having languages in the code/rom and having to have them hacked to work. European versions of games have been known to be the superior version especially if English is not the language you will be playing in.
You might also be troubled by iQueDS games and I am told (not that it matters at this point in time) but the stores are region locked.

Wii region locked unless you hack it.

PS3- region free for games, videos less so.

PSP- unsure. Most people hack them anyhow.

X360- varies by game (it is somewhat unpredictable- certain publishers and game franchises are noted for being locked but surprises are . http://www.abgx.net/filename/?ch=6 has something of a list (although incomplete in places). You can always tell from an ISO though. DVDs region locked.

If you have a JTAG machine it is region free if you want it to be. If you have the CPU key (few people do/can get it from/for an updated machine) you can change region (couple this with a dual nand setup and it can be multiple regions and effectively region free).
Those with hacked DVD drives or stock 360s are bound by region- interestingly the US is not necessarily the superior region for once in life. Quite a few European developed games are region locked and this includes some nice RPGs and sports games (or the superior versions thereof). Japan also has a few region locked shmups and other niche games (the 360 is not that big in Japan so it is not the same as the say the DS or ps3 if that was region locked). Where US stuff is region locked it rarely takes more than a week for it to appear for European (and Australian) consoles- those weeks can encompass some big games though so .

Long story short it is good to have hacked consoles.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
FAST6191 said:
DS- no region locking aside from some roms having languages in the code/rom and having to have them hacked to work. European versions of games have been known to be the superior version especially if English is not the language you will be playing in.
You might also be troubled by iQueDS games and I am told (not that it matters at this point in time) but the stores are region locked.

Wii region locked unless you hack it.

PS3- region free for games, videos less so.

PSP- unsure. Most people hack them anyhow.

X360- varies by game (it is somewhat unpredictable- certain publishers and game franchises are noted for being locked but surprises are . http://www.abgx.net/filename/?ch=6 has something of a list (although incomplete in places). You can always tell from an ISO though. DVDs region locked.

If you have a JTAG machine it is region free if you want it to be. If you have the CPU key (few people do/can get it from/for an updated machine) you can change region (couple this with a dual nand setup and it can be multiple regions and effectively region free).
Those with hacked DVD drives or stock 360s are bound by region- interestingly the US is not necessarily the superior region for once in life. Quite a few European developed games are region locked and this includes some nice RPGs and sports games (or the superior versions thereof). Japan also has a few region locked shmups and other niche games (the 360 is not that big in Japan so it is not the same as the say the DS or ps3 if that was region locked). Where US stuff is region locked it rarely takes more than a week for it to appear for European (and Australian) consoles- those weeks can encompass some big games though so .

Long story short it is good to have hacked consoles.
Retail DSi enhanced/exclusive games are region locked.
And PSP games are not region locked.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dlf said:
So the blu-ray & DVD are or not locked (I think they are)?

Blu-Ray is region locked (depends on movies and such, most movies are region encoded save for a lot of stuff from Pixar and Disney which isn't), it's just some NA folks say region free because they can play Japanese Blu-Rays on their American players and PS3s, DVDs have always been region locked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, thx in advance
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, thx in advance +1