Regedit

_ORiON_

OP
Trophies
Website
loerion.googlepages.com
XP
Country
I installed Macromedia Flash 8 on a flash drive as I need to transfer from one PC to another (i dont have a permanent PC, as of now :'( ). I then tried it to run on another PC but it says it encountered a problem and needs to be reinstalled. But I am guessing it's got something to do only with the windows registry. Am I right?

If so, can someone teach me how to export only the specific registry files that I need for the program? Please..........

Thanks guys!
biggrin.gif

Squiffy

GBATemp's Little Embarrassment
Trophies
Website
pyon.co.uk
XP
Country
You mean you just copied over the files that are installed in, e.g. "C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash"?
I would think there's a lot more than just reg files that need copied over. Best to just put the installation file onto the flash drive and reinstall it.

Also, are you talking about the flash player or the flash editor?

_ORiON_

OP
Trophies
Website
loerion.googlepages.com
XP
Country
You mean you just copied over the files that are installed in, e.g. "C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash"?
I would think there's a lot more than just reg files that need copied over. Best to just put the installation file onto the flash drive and reinstall it.

Also, are you talking about the flash player or the flash editor?

i said i installed from the cd, not just moving a pre-installed copy to the flash drive. the flash editor, that's what.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First up I assume you are at least able to use a registry editor (it is a glorified version of a contnents page and notepad really), while we are on the subject much like most other windows built in stuff regedit is a slow convoluted piece of junk (try searching for something if you need a demo). I suggest another editor, my prefered one is RegAlyzer (made by the same people as Spybot Search and Destroy and is freeware):
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

While I agree it is most likely a registry issue it may also be a license one (programs like this generally come with some nice protection).
If you are lucky though do a search for macromedia or one of the companies responsible, export your results (it is just a simple menu/right click option if I recall), you will end up with a .reg file, transfer to your current machine double cick this file and it will be imported to the registry.

This is also a nice way for malware to screw your machine (MS in their infinite wisdom decided to store vital system stuff as well as the last score on spider in there) up so when doing this make sure you do not just use anyones .reg files.

Oh and under XP you will likely need admin rights (there are also other options you can tweak to diable editors so make sure none have been activated).

theorgan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im a little confused as to what you are doing. but if you installed it on a flash drive and move that drive to another computer it will never have files that are needed when you first install it on a computer. not only reg files will be missing but .dlls will be missing also. check the installation log to see what goes where and maybe you will be able to find what is missing. my suggestion is to put the install files on the drive and install it on the computer you go to.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The short answer is that you cannot do what you're trying to do. When you installed Flash to your USB drive, it installed all sorts of OTHER system files all over your hard drive, in addition to settings in the registry. You would need to install Flash on every computer you're planning on using the USB drive on - that way, the main program files are on your USB drive, and each computer would have the other files necessary to run the program.

Flash was not designed to be run from a USB drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably alot better than a 660ti