Redbox Begins Game Rentals

RE4zombie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
American DVD rental kiosk service Redbox will now expand its video game offerings nationwide this week as additional markets in the West, Midwest, and Atlantic coast have been added.
Source

$2 a day seems a little steep, but I would probably just rip and return it.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends, If you can beat a game less than 10 days, you are saving money on even the cheapest games available. Considering Redbox is usually updated with the latest releases, you are saving money on virtually almost game you rent vs. buying. That is unless your someone who is my cousin and is OCD about having the actual game sitting on his shelf for the rest of his life.

Otherwise, at a game rental store, it costs about $6-$7 to rent for 5 days. I don't know about you guys, but many games don't take the full 5 days.

I do think that $2 is expensive, it should be about $1.50 a day. But on Summer vacation, I'd probably beat games faster than 3 days if it isn't anything stupidly long and I don't really go for trophies with PS3 games.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
Depends, If you can beat a game less than 10 days, you are saving money on even the cheapest games available. Considering Redbox is usually updated with the latest releases, you are saving money on virtually almost game you rent vs. buying. That is unless your someone who is my cousin and is OCD about having the actual game sitting on his shelf for the rest of his life.

Otherwise, at a game rental store, it costs about $6-$7 to rent for 5 days. I don't know about you guys, but many games don't take the full 5 days.

I do think that $2 is expensive, it should be about $1.50 a day. But on Summer vacation, I'd probably beat games faster than 3 days if it isn't anything stupidly long and I don't really go for trophies with PS3 games.
That's not how RedBox works though. You only pay for a 1-day rental, and if you keep it longer, you get hit with much higher late fees.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
Zetta_x said:

That's not how RedBox works though. You only pay for a 1-day rental, and if you keep it longer, you get hit with much higher late fees.

What the F! So you mean I have to return the game and re-rent it if I want to continue playing?

This sucks, this means I would have to buy abundance amounts of alcohol and energy drinks if I want to beat a game within a day.

Edit:
A movie is understandable. I can finish a movie in the duration time even in my sleep. Maybe they changed how it charges people with games?

steveo581

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should still be a dollar a day even for games. It takes more time to beat a game than watch a movie yet they charge twice as much. Probably will cost more or equal to a bloackbuster game rental to beat an average game.

Zaertix

One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually injected you are wrong.

At least movie wise, it's 1 dollar a DAY, no matter how long you keep it, to a max of 25 days, then you own it. So if you keep it for 2 days, it's 2 dollars.

There are no late fees on Redbox.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zaertix said:

At least movie wise, it's 1 dollar a DAY, no matter how long you keep it, to a max of 25 days, then you own it. So if you keep it for 2 days, it's 2 dollars.

I just stopped by a red box, the late fee is just an additional day + tax (which is no extra in cost for a day)

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
injected11 said:
Zetta_x said:

Maybe in Soviet Russia.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forsee a lot of parents getting surprise bills on their credit cards.
"Yeah mom, I dropped that game off on my way to school! Promise!"

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
Zaertix said:

I just stopped by a red box, the late fee is just an additional day + tax (which is no extra in cost for a day)
They must have recently changed policies or I was fed a bunch of bullshit. My friend has worked for RedBox for 2 months and explained how they hit people with late fees whenever the opportunity arises, and they make the majority of their profit from late fees.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
Zetta_x said:
Zaertix said:

They must have recently changed policies or I was fed a bunch of bullshit. My friend has worked for RedBox for 2 months and explained how they hit people with late fees whenever the opportunity arises, and they make the majority of their profit from late fees.
umm... maybe they used to be, but every day for a movie is $1... I should know, I've done it

Edit: forgot the main reason I was gonna post
dry.gif

I've seen this advertised on Red Boxes themselves back in August... so i guess I win?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended