Hacking Recommended GAMEBOY flashcard for LSDJ?

Pokepicker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi

I'm sorry for posting this in the GBA forums, but at first glance I couldn't find a forum for the older GB devices.
I'm just curious as to what flashcards exist, and what might be recommended for the Gameboy, to use with LSDJ.

Recently I found this flaschard on eBay (GB USB Smart Card 64M) while searching for "LSDJ". It seemed a bit pricy to me. But I suppose the price might be correct seeing that the Gameboy is a pretty dead plattform. I understand some cards need special equipment to flash ROMS to them. This one supposedly is easier to use as it only requires a USB cable connected to it.

Was hoping someone might have some thoughts and experiences to share.

Last edited by Pokepicker,

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah it has a few bucks tacked on what you can get from a regular vendor. If you want to buy from a local vendor, then the ebay link will likely be your better option there.
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card

You can put 2 games on the thing but your save for one game will be wiped out if you load the second game. It is best to put a game that doesn't use a save for the second game.
LSDJ uses the save to store any programmed chip-tunes tracks.

For maintainence wise, replacing the battery will require soldering skills. You can think about the battery within 5 years or so.

The app uses 32bit drivers, that means your going to need XP or lower to use.
https://filetrip.net/oldies-downloads/gb-gbc/download-ems-gb-smart-card-client-1-03-f26477.html

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,

Pokepicker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Interesting. I will have to look into this.
I would only use this for LSDJ, so the multiple save issue won't be a problem.

5 years for the battery? That's not great compared to the nearly 20 I got out of the original games :D Do you happen to know if its the same procedure as with normal carts?
I have no musical inclination, but I find stuff like this is interesting.
Edit: Don't expect a shout-out from the DJ-booth anytime soon.

Edit2: I see the shop you linked to, seemingly have links up for 64bit software. But if I really need 32bit, you are sure "compatibility mode" is not enough?
Would it be sufficient to run XP in a VM? I don't have access to old hardware like that.

Last edited by Pokepicker,

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Your under a misconception about compatibility mode. Compatibility mode is for APPs only, not drivers. Drivers ARE NOT apps. The 64bit link is for unsigned 64bit drivers not a 64bit app. This requires being in "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" mode when booting up windows 7 or higher.
disable-driver-signature-enforcement.png

XP in a VM is fine.

gb_usb_vm.png

Flashcarts tend to run through the battery faster than a retail released game. If you don't know how to solder within 5 years, just get somebody you know that can do it for you. Your only other problem is to find a battery with tabs of the same type for the flashcart.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,
Reactions: Pokepicker

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...