Recommended GAMEBOY flashcard for LSDJ?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Pokepicker, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Pokepicker
    OP

Pokepicker GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2015
    Norway
    Hi

I'm sorry for posting this in the GBA forums, but at first glance I couldn't find a forum for the older GB devices.
    I'm just curious as to what flashcards exist, and what might be recommended for the Gameboy, to use with LSDJ.

Recently I found this flaschard on eBay (GB USB Smart Card 64M) while searching for "LSDJ". It seemed a bit pricy to me. But I suppose the price might be correct seeing that the Gameboy is a pretty dead plattform. I understand some cards need special equipment to flash ROMS to them. This one supposedly is easier to use as it only requires a USB cable connected to it.

Was hoping someone might have some thoughts and experiences to share.

Last edited by Pokepicker, Apr 18, 2017
  2. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
    Yeah it has a few bucks tacked on what you can get from a regular vendor. If you want to buy from a local vendor, then the ebay link will likely be your better option there.
    http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card

You can put 2 games on the thing but your save for one game will be wiped out if you load the second game. It is best to put a game that doesn't use a save for the second game.
    LSDJ uses the save to store any programmed chip-tunes tracks.

For maintainence wise, replacing the battery will require soldering skills. You can think about the battery within 5 years or so.

The app uses 32bit drivers, that means your going to need XP or lower to use.
    https://filetrip.net/oldies-downloads/gb-gbc/download-ems-gb-smart-card-client-1-03-f26477.html

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that, Apr 18, 2017
  3. Pokepicker
    OP

Pokepicker GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2015
    Norway
    Interesting. I will have to look into this.
    I would only use this for LSDJ, so the multiple save issue won't be a problem.

5 years for the battery? That's not great compared to the nearly 20 I got out of the original games :D Do you happen to know if its the same procedure as with normal carts?
    I have no musical inclination, but I find stuff like this is interesting.
    Edit: Don't expect a shout-out from the DJ-booth anytime soon.

Edit2: I see the shop you linked to, seemingly have links up for 64bit software. But if I really need 32bit, you are sure "compatibility mode" is not enough?
    Would it be sufficient to run XP in a VM? I don't have access to old hardware like that.

Last edited by Pokepicker, Apr 18, 2017
  4. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
    Your under a misconception about compatibility mode. Compatibility mode is for APPs only, not drivers. Drivers ARE NOT apps. The 64bit link is for unsigned 64bit drivers not a 64bit app. This requires being in "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" mode when booting up windows 7 or higher.
    [​IMG]

XP in a VM is fine.

[​IMG]

Flashcarts tend to run through the battery faster than a retail released game. If you don't know how to solder within 5 years, just get somebody you know that can do it for you. Your only other problem is to find a battery with tabs of the same type for the flashcart.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that, Apr 18, 2017
    Pokepicker likes this.