KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Hmm... I've wanted to try Linux for quite some time but I can't decide which one to choose. I'll post the specs of my slightly old computer.

Intel Pentium IV
1.80/1.79 GHz Processor
512 MB RAM
Video Card: GeForce2 MX/MX 400, 64 MB Video RAM
Windows XP SP2 Currently Installed

So, what can you recommend for this computer? I guess Linux will probably breathe some life into this kinda old computer.

AoiAoiAoi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
Well, your a bit lacking in memory so.... for best speed use any LXDE or XFCE based distro. I would recommend Lubuntu or Xubuntu, derivates of Ubuntu.
If you want to sacrifice, go the full mile and just get Ubuntu. If your a true minimalist, use openbox-based distro (perhaps crunchbang!)

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Puppy Linux is a good choice. Its designed for low-end PCs and has a 126MB only liveCD. It runs completely in RAM, so it's pretty fast and you can bring it everywhere, since you can install it to a pendrive, or burn the .iso to a DVD (multisession) and it will save your session like tracks when you power off your PC.

It's not so user friendly like Ubuntu, but you can try. It's also a lot customizable, and you can find many puplets (Puppy derivatives) with more or specific functions.

Puppy Linux Official page
Puppy Community page
Puppy Forum

The last releases (5.X.X) were built based off Ubuntu binary, so you can use .deb packages, or even Ubuntu repositories (there are tutorials at the forum).

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Scorpei said:
http://pupweb.org/wikka/TeenPup
Never ran it myself but it seems like a great choice for older hardware.
TEENpup is also a puplet. It seems to be a good one but I'll stick to the original
wub.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-