ROM Hack Rebuilding a USUM ROM I hacked

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
This used to go more or less smoothly back when I did it with older games, but I'm getting absolutely nowhere right now.

I've downloaded the newest tools, done the editing, got the files all ready for rebuilding.

Apparently, the newer Hacking Toolkits should be able to build ROMs without any outside help, supposedly including into .cias? Couldn't do that before. I tried building the edited files into .3ds and .cia both; most of the time with different methods, I got nothing. Once, I got a .3ds file with _edited in its title that was 0 B in size.

I tried to do it the old way with a 3DSBuilder and finally got myself a .3ds file that I quickly converted to .cia with an old version of Simple CIA Converter that I downloaded a while ago (I don't think this program needs updating for newer ROMs?).

Now here's the next thing that happened - when I put the cia file on my emunand ready to be installed, I need way more (like double the size) of the .cia I've got. i.e. I need 6.5 GB of free space to install the game on top of the 3.7 GB of the .cia file being on the card. Even deleting all the games doesn't give me that free space (aye, I was stingy when I bought the card but it hadn't been a problem until this point), but the point is, should I really be needing so much free space to install my hack?

I am currently wondering if this can be fixed somehow or, perhaps, there's an alternative method of applying the edits I've made to an unmodified .cia of the game - something I heard of but never tried in practice. I'm on Luma btw, but haven't kept up with the latest updates so I'm not sure what can be used and if my CFW 3DS can handle it.

Would really appreciate any help especially specific directions!

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, well you don't necessarily need to rebuild it as a .CIA unless you want to install it as a completely different title (it will overwrite any vanilla game of the same name; can't change the TitleID of a 3DS Pokemon game on a console for whatever reason). You can simply use layeredFS patches with Luma to use your rom edits, which I'm more than sure you've been told before.

Anyway, the 3DS builder in HackingToolKit (depending on your version) uses the outdated application. As such, You need a good exeFS.bin (or extracted folder) romfs.bin (or extracted) and a good header, the program will detect the game on it's own if everything is correct, if not you need to fill in the product code, etc of the actual game.

As for rebuilding to a .CIA you can use 3DS simple .CIA converter, IMO it's one of the easiest methods outside of CMD tools to rebuild your game on a PC and the GUI is self explanatory. Otherwise you can simply put the .3DS file on your SD card and use a Godmode9 script to convert it to a .CIA on the console itself. Again this isn't really necessary considering layeredfs. You need to make sure you're using the correct version of HackingToolkit to extract your game, as you're not going to be able to "build" a working game with encrypted base files....

Reactions: ThoD and Francesca

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
I'm okay with not installing it as .cia at all, but this is the only way I'm familiar with and have done multiple times before. Will definitely look into layeredFS if nothing works out.

As such, You need a good exeFS.bin (or extracted folder) romfs.bin (or extracted) and a good header, the program will detect the game on it's own if everything is correct, if not you need to fill in the product code, etc of the actual game.

What do you mean by GOOD exefs and romfs? I did provide the folders where I did all the editing as well as a decrypted ExHeader, but left the product code as the default XXXX, which is something I've done before. Not sure if that's my problem; if it is, maybe that one iso site has the product codes? Should be way faster than re-installing the vanilla game and checking what the code is inn one of the installation programs.

jpmasterflex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This used to go more or less smoothly back when I did it with older games, but I'm getting absolutely nowhere right now.

I've downloaded the newest tools, done the editing, got the files all ready for rebuilding.

Apparently, the newer Hacking Toolkits should be able to build ROMs without any outside help, supposedly including into .cias? Couldn't do that before. I tried building the edited files into .3ds and .cia both; most of the time with different methods, I got nothing. Once, I got a .3ds file with _edited in its title that was 0 B in size.

I tried to do it the old way with a 3DSBuilder and finally got myself a .3ds file that I quickly converted to .cia with an old version of Simple CIA Converter that I downloaded a while ago (I don't think this program needs updating for newer ROMs?).

Now here's the next thing that happened - when I put the cia file on my emunand ready to be installed, I need way more (like double the size) of the .cia I've got. i.e. I need 6.5 GB of free space to install the game on top of the 3.7 GB of the .cia file being on the card. Even deleting all the games doesn't give me that free space (aye, I was stingy when I bought the card but it hadn't been a problem until this point), but the point is, should I really be needing so much free space to install my hack?

I am currently wondering if this can be fixed somehow or, perhaps, there's an alternative method of applying the edits I've made to an unmodified .cia of the game - something I heard of but never tried in practice. I'm on Luma btw, but haven't kept up with the latest updates so I'm not sure what can be used and if my CFW 3DS can handle it.

Would really appreciate any help especially specific directions!

I had the exact same problem...but only with Ultra Sun...I did it for Mario and Luigi: Super star saga Bowser's Minions and had no issues...i even tried rebuilding it back before i edited anything just to see if it worked for Ultra Sun...but it seems it can only extract..not rebuild ..Something about label syntax or volume label being incorrect...

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be the .CIA/.3DS you're using to extract as well, make sure it's downloaded from a good source. I've never had an issue using these programs to rebuild any game as a .CIA.

jpmasterflex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be the .CIA/.3DS you're using to extract as well, make sure it's downloaded from a good source. I've never had an issue using these programs to rebuild any game as a .CIA.

I used Godmode9 to create a cia from version i downloaded from the freeshop...if thats not a good source..then what is?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used Godmode9 to create a cia from version i downloaded from the freeshop...if thats not a good source..then what is?
That's an excellent source my friend. If you dump the .CIA then you hackingtoolkit3DS (Not 9DS) extract the game, and then try to rebuild it as a .3DS without making any edits it should work just fine. If it does, try your edits again and make sure to keep the file structure as clean as possible. Delete any extra files you created inside the contents before rebuilding.

That's really all the advice I can offer.

Reactions: ThoD

jpmasterflex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's an excellent source my friend. If you dump the .CIA then you hackingtoolkit3DS (Not 9DS) extract the game, and then try to rebuild it as a .3DS without making any edits it should work just fine. If it does, try your edits again and make sure to keep the file structure as clean as possible. Delete any extra files you created inside the contents before rebuilding.

That's really all the advice I can offer.

Tried that but i just re-read the extraction thread and it seems i needed to re encrypt my cia file if i wanted to use it withe the latest version...that's the only thing i didnt try..i figured it was either or..i didnt think encryption was flatout required

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried that but i just re-read the extraction thread and it seems i needed to re encrypt my cia file if i wanted to use it withe the latest version...that's the only thing i didnt try..i figured it was either or..i didnt think encryption was flatout required
No you don't there are many versions of HackingToolkit..... pay attention to the NAME. HackingToolkit3DS only works with decrypted files...... HackingToolKit9DS only works with encrypted files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    aroma
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    in that case, there is no such thing as homebrew launcher for aroma
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    you have to launch your homebrews directly from the wii u menu
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!