Reasons why RPGs frustrate you

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
So is the point of this thread? Is so people who hate RPGs can bitch about how they hate RPGs? Most people can realize that a lot of RPGs are broken without having to make a thread about it.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's a discussion forum, we do this here, for fun.

You could also turn your argument around and say most people realize there's no point without anyone having to make a post about that.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Strider said:
It's a discussion forum, we do this here, for fun.

You could also turn your argument around and say most people realize there's no point without anyone having to make a post about that.

*commits Seppuku*

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate not finishing my RPGs. Example, I've bought Star Ocean Last Hope for the 360 about 3 or 4 times. Never finished it. Furthest I ever get is the Purgatorium. I lose interest around that point, give up, trade it in, move on to something else, realise I really should finish it about a year later but I have to restart because I can never remember the plot up to that point.

I also never technically finished FF13. I got to the final chapter, was a corridor away from the final boss, and couldn't be arsed with it any more. I was bored.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Frequent difficulty spikes and dips, difficulty should be done in increments, no huge spikes and no dips at the end either.

Class of Heroes has a big problem with this, Tales of series gets this a lot.

The middle two Marl Kingdom games have it the worst, having serious difficulty dips at the end.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Grinding.

The pointless grinding that doesn't serve to teach you, the player, any skills or tactics or strategies (because the game doesn't actually require any skill or tactic or strategy, all you do is "use [attack] on [foe]"), but the useless empty repetitive automatic grinding whose only purpose is to amass enough money to buy the item required to proceed, or the points to buy the skills/attacks/whatever required to proceed.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Nujui said:
What frustrates me in RPGs, for example, MegaTen, if the MC where to get killed off, but no one else, game over. Pisses me off when I'm the only one who dies and yet everyone else lives.
Well he is the main character and you are playing as him, you die it's game over.
It adds some suspense to the game, not just "lol it k i can heal him tnx". Dunno about other games because I've forgot but Persona 3 Portable gives you an option to retry on easy mode or something.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I could start a furious rant about my stance on RPG's, but I can suffice with "I agree with ZeroPunctuation all the way".

Main gripes:
-TURN BASED COMBAT!!!
-items/clothes/weapons that have way more stats than they should
-slow scrolling, unskippable dialogue
-characters are usually waaaaay to cliché (am I the only one who thinks he's wandering around in a place where dressup isn't just for kids?).
-for someone who's busy saving the town/country/royal heirs/world/universe, the local people sure got f*cked up priorities ("ooh, so you're trying to rescue our queen, put an end to the incoming army and save the galaxy in the process? That's nice, but if you could spare the time, would you please mow my lawn first?").
-why does nearly every friggin' RPG looks like they're copying each other's theme?

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
Nujui said:
What frustrates me in RPGs, for example, MegaTen, if the MC where to get killed off, but no one else, game over. Pisses me off when I'm the only one who dies and yet everyone else lives.
Well he is the main character and you are playing as him, you die it's game over.
It adds some suspense to the game, not just "lol it k i can heal him tnx". Dunno about other games because I've forgot but Persona 3 Portable gives you an option to retry on easy mode or something.
Still, I think if the others were smart enough they could revive me. Especially if every one of them survives, and yet I get killed.

They seriously couldn't either revive me or defeat the thing themselves and then revive me?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sora de Eclaune said:
Thread title.

Here are my reasons (None are related unless specified):
1) You forget to save for a few hours and end up dying, which takes you backwards nearly a whole three dungeons.
That's your fault, not the games.
2) Second playthroughs are too easy because of the bonuses you get with New Game + and because you know the whole game at that point.
Then don't play a New Game+, jesus.
4) If it's voiced, it probably has bad English voice actors.
Tales of Vesperia had a cast of voice actors who did an awesome job
5) Often times, the story is very stereotypical and not compelling enough to make you want to finish the game.
What RPG's are you playing?
6) Number 1 happens and all of the cutscenes you've already seen aren't able to be skipped.
Again, your fault, not the game's.
7) All the RPGs you want to play are Japan-only.
So that's why the Genre frustrates you? Wow.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
When you think you've completed the story and you're ready for the post-story quests/final cut scene and suddenly your friend betrays you. This makes me
mad.gif

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Just remembered one that causes un-fucking-necessary grinding.

When a member in your party leaves for some odd reason and you have to use someone else that you've hardly ever used and s/he is a low level.

Games that level up the characters not in the party are the best games.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:

When a member in your party leaves for some odd reason and you have to use someone else that you've hardly ever used and s/he is a low level.

A friend of mine had the same problem in reverse. They gained a party member at level 41 but the party members they had before were level 30 something. Then they came to me and had a rant about how they shouldn't have to grind just because they're 10+ levels too low.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:

Agreed, I hate it when I stop using a character for a while/someone leaves/I use a character for most of the game and then they die as a part of the story and I'm forced to use some weak character I never use.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I found another gripe!

There's almost always ONE character in your party that, even when overleveled compared to the other characters, is still the weakest in regards to stats. Half the time, it's not even the mage/healer that has this problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    GUYS YOU CAN LAUNCH HEALTH AND SAFETY INFO IN AROMA NOW
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan,i only watched anime
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for anyone wondering what that is, basically, it's about the one person in the world without magic, instead he's just dummy strong
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr. What and Dr. Where got lost together somewhere in time, Dr. When is looking for them
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What about Dr. How?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    OR DR. WHY?
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    @Xdqwerty sorry i get excited when i get to see what type of laser the wii u uses
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    They ALL went to Nurse Why's house
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: SCPs started from some Dr. Who fanfic or smth on 4chan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr How and Why, will be in the prequel
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, or dr when
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    dr what
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooohhh the steamy scene with Nurse Why. omg :blush:
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty is Dr. Wut
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey gets mad and tells me its a bad habit to bite your nails, even though I told her I washed my feet first.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Dr Strange is a gynecologist for prostitutes.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Going where lots of men have gone before
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i tear off my nails
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it was a joke, but I used to bite my nails when I was young, but when I started doing construction work and seen what crap was under my nails, I stopped.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    What i said isnt a joke
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sometimes yea when they get real long, you want to, but I always end up with a bloody finger or hangnails.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well that's 30 minutes worth of complaining
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They send you the wrong STD medicine again?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only person I've been with was your wife so
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Only person I've been with was your wife so