Reasons why RPGs frustrate you

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Sora de Eclaune, Oct 3, 2011.

Oct 3, 2011
  1. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Thread title.

Here are my reasons (None are related unless specified):
    1) You forget to save for a few hours and end up dying, which takes you backwards nearly a whole three dungeons.
    2) Second playthroughs are too easy because of the bonuses you get with New Game + and because you know the whole game at that point.
    3) Random battles often become tedious and boring.
    4) If it's voiced, it probably has bad English voice actors.
    5) Often times, the story is very stereotypical and not compelling enough to make you want to finish the game.
    6) Number 1 happens and all of the cutscenes you've already seen aren't able to be skipped.
    7) All the RPGs you want to play are Japan-only.
    8) Number 7 happens and the RPG is for a region-locked console.
    9) The game is a sequel to a Japan-only game nobody in the US has heard of, and incorporates things from the previous game that aren't explained for the US audience.
    10) The game is a remake of another game, and changes the game from an RPG to an Action-RPG.

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    >Reasons why RPGs frustrate you
    >Lists reasons for only JRPGs.

Anyway, when there is too much content in the game at the start and you're completely lost. I'm looking at you, Dragon Age Origins.

3. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia

4. UnoAphex

Member UnoAphex Advanced Member

Canada
    10) The game is a remake of another game, and changes the game from an RPG to an Action-RPG. what's so wrong about action-RPGs?

Are you referring to how they changed fable 3 from an action rpg to a strictly action game with a story element. if so i agree. Fable should never had gone the direction they went with. turned a playable game into a mind numbing piece of shit.

Also

5) Often times, the story is very stereotypical and not compelling enough to make you want to finish the game. never seen this

Seen this in games like final fantasy 13

5. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Somehow when I read the title that's what I was expecting.

6. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Well you would cus you're a weeaboo.

7. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    When time-consuming grinding is needed. Fuck that, I much rather spend that time having fun and playing a good shooter.

8. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    1) Happened one too many times. I save like death looms around every damn corner now.
    2) Tales games and Devil Survivor are the only RPGs i've really replayed a lot. Tales games have so much content you wont see it all in one playthrough without a walkthrough. Even then, the grade shop is fun to play with.
    3)Random battles are so 2000.
    4)Same as 3. Voice acting has improved, a lot. Some sneak by...*stares at ARF* but, most games aren't bad.
    5) Bad jRPGs maybe, lots exist. Which is why I stick to...y'know...good jRPGs. The only constant is the whole "save the world thing." Which, frankly, makes sense. If you weren't saving the world, you'd be playing Animal Crossing and shit.
    6) Yeah that sucks, a lot.
    7) Pretty much
    8) Never had that problem
    9) I hate the opposite. Valkyria Chronicles 3 has a very slim chance of getting localized...and yet we got the first 2 friggin' games. Assholes. I've never played a game with a japn only prequel.
    10) That sounds awesome. Action RPGs = win. Never seen that happen though.

Can't think of my own points.

9. machomuu

United States

So can you please stop calling me that? Normally I wouldn't mind, but that's pretty much all you say so it's more annoying than anything else.

10. Sylar1

Member Sylar1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    11. If the game is Enchanted Arms, ***** that game and it's way too hard for me final boss.

Literally every boss before that was a pushover. It would be easier if all the items weren't "use on yourself only" besides the revive items.

11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I never found it that much of a learning curve. Maybe it's because I played DA2 first and I'm a bit more used to these WRPGs but it was pretty easy to get a grasp of.

On the topic of Dragon Age and other WRPGs, I do agree with saving. DA2 was terrible with it too. You'd enter a location and it'd autosave when you entered it. But they blocked the entrance so you can't get back out if the mission is too hard. So you're forced to either keep trying the mission and hope you get lucky or reload an old save and redo a bunch of shit. Although I feel like this issue is just with DA2 being shitty.

But I do have that issue at times in Fallout 3/New Vegas and stuff. I forget to save in a while and I do and lose a bunch of progress. Really annoying.

I think the most frustrating thing about RPGs is how some things are completely useless. Like say for example you want to invest in, I don't know, an archery stat. Little do you know that archery is terrible and your same character can use a better weapon anyway. So you're stuck with a mediocre specialty for the rest of the game. Happens a lot in RPGs it seems.

12. machomuu

United States
    Games seem to slowly be getting better with that lately (well, the good ones at least), but I agree. There are some games where I want to be a rogue, little do I know that despite being quick, Rogues suck. Many times despite giving them good light armor they still end up dying quickly, and this is a problem in some games I play. I mean, it makes sense, Rogues are meant to be quick and dodge attacks. But it sucks when the game has crap stat point allocation, and basically makes the class useless.

13. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    12. You skip out on those tedious random battles, and you find out you're under leveled, now you have to grind 6 hours to be adequate for the next boss.

That's you Pokemon.

14. 1234turtles

Member 1234turtles GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    bosses that cant be affected by sleep, parylaze, poison status affects and takes out party members in two attacks

15. DarkShinigami

Member DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States
    13. you have to grind like a mo-fo for post game bosses. (ff13 technically the marks are pseudo bosses but some of em were harder than final boss and required max stats)

16. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    The Adamantoise?

17. DarkShinigami

Member DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States
    yup plus some of the marks in the game made the final boss look like a joke(but max stats do the same thing)

oh and before i forget WA1 had a post game boss that required max level or max scape goat (accessory that sacrifices itself to revive said character)

18. kupo3000

Member kupo3000 GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    14) Some RPGs have a crap load of monsters that vary in rewards, yet no bestiary. I'm looking at you Xenoblade...

19. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I am often bugged by how long some RPGs can be.

Now, it's not that I have anything against long games; only ones that feel stretched out. In quite a few RPGs, it seems that they are padded with a lot of unnecessary filler (or require loads of grinding) in order to simply waste hours of the player's time.

I know some people prefer all their games to be long affairs, but this strategy just bugs me. I would prefer a short, but well paced game over a bloated long one that wears out its welcome.

20. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    What frustrates me in RPGs, for example, MegaTen, if the MC where to get killed off, but no one else, game over. Pisses me off when I'm the only one who dies and yet everyone else lives.