Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Thread title.

Here are my reasons (None are related unless specified):
1) You forget to save for a few hours and end up dying, which takes you backwards nearly a whole three dungeons.
2) Second playthroughs are too easy because of the bonuses you get with New Game + and because you know the whole game at that point.
3) Random battles often become tedious and boring.
4) If it's voiced, it probably has bad English voice actors.
5) Often times, the story is very stereotypical and not compelling enough to make you want to finish the game.
6) Number 1 happens and all of the cutscenes you've already seen aren't able to be skipped.
7) All the RPGs you want to play are Japan-only.
8) Number 7 happens and the RPG is for a region-locked console.
9) The game is a sequel to a Japan-only game nobody in the US has heard of, and incorporates things from the previous game that aren't explained for the US audience.
10) The game is a remake of another game, and changes the game from an RPG to an Action-RPG.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
>Reasons why RPGs frustrate you
>Lists reasons for only JRPGs.

Anyway, when there is too much content in the game at the start and you're completely lost. I'm looking at you, Dragon Age Origins.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sora de Eclaune said:
Thread title.

1) You forget to save for a few hours and end up dying, which takes you backwards nearly a whole three dungeons. you really should be saving every chance you get though, so this is really a non-issue
2) Second playthroughs are too easy because of the bonuses you get with New Game + and because you know the whole game at that point. mmm, true enough
3) Random battles often become tedious and boring. depends on the game
4) If it's voiced, it probably has bad English voice actors. sound off when voice over is occuring = problem solved. I do agree with you though.
5) Often times, the story is very stereotypical and not compelling enough to make you want to finish the game. never seen this
6) Number 1 happens and all of the cutscenes you've already seen aren't able to be skipped. definitely
7) All the RPGs you want to play are Japan-only. definitely
8) Number 7 happens and the RPG is for a region-locked console. only a problem on unhacked consoles
9) The game is a sequel to a Japan-only game nobody in the US has heard of, and incorporates things from the previous game that aren't explained for the US audience. never had this problem
10) The game is a remake of another game, and changes the game from an RPG to an Action-RPG. what's so wrong about action-RPGs?

UnoAphex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
10) The game is a remake of another game, and changes the game from an RPG to an Action-RPG. what's so wrong about action-RPGs?

Are you referring to how they changed fable 3 from an action rpg to a strictly action game with a story element. if so i agree. Fable should never had gone the direction they went with. turned a playable game into a mind numbing piece of shit.

Also

5) Often times, the story is very stereotypical and not compelling enough to make you want to finish the game. never seen this

Seen this in games like final fantasy 13

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sora de Eclaune said:
Thread title.

1) You forget to save for a few hours and end up dying, which takes you backwards nearly a whole three dungeons.
2) Second playthroughs are too easy because of the bonuses you get with New Game + and because you know the whole game at that point.
3) Random battles often become tedious and boring.
4) If it's voiced, it probably has bad English voice actors.
5) Often times, the story is very stereotypical and not compelling enough to make you want to finish the game.
6) Number 1 happens and all of the cutscenes you've already seen aren't able to be skipped.
7) All the RPGs you want to play are Japan-only.
8) Number 7 happens and the RPG is for a region-locked console.
9) The game is a sequel to a Japan-only game nobody in the US has heard of, and incorporates things from the previous game that aren't explained for the US audience.
10) The game is a remake of another game, and changes the game from an RPG to an Action-RPG.

1) Happened one too many times. I save like death looms around every damn corner now.
2) Tales games and Devil Survivor are the only RPGs i've really replayed a lot. Tales games have so much content you wont see it all in one playthrough without a walkthrough. Even then, the grade shop is fun to play with.
3)Random battles are so 2000.
4)Same as 3. Voice acting has improved, a lot. Some sneak by...*stares at ARF* but, most games aren't bad.
5) Bad jRPGs maybe, lots exist. Which is why I stick to...y'know...good jRPGs. The only constant is the whole "save the world thing." Which, frankly, makes sense. If you weren't saving the world, you'd be playing Animal Crossing and shit.
6) Yeah that sucks, a lot.
7) Pretty much
8) Never had that problem
9) I hate the opposite. Valkyria Chronicles 3 has a very slim chance of getting localized...and yet we got the first 2 friggin' games. Assholes. I've never played a game with a japn only prequel.
10) That sounds awesome. Action RPGs = win. Never seen that happen though.

Can't think of my own points.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
machomuu said:
prowler_ said:
>Reasons why RPGs frustrate you
>Lists reasons for only JRPGs.
Somehow when I read the title that's what I was expecting.
Well you would cus you're a weeaboo.
How does that make me a weeaboo? I knew that when someone were to refer to it they would be talking about JRPGs and I would have to say something to the effect of "JRPGs aren't the only kind of RPG". But you beat me to the punch.

Also:
As to the first thing...so? What does that have to do with being a Wannabe Japanese person? I didn't DL the undub (of P4), I don't want to live in Japan, I don't use honorifics, I don't eat very much Japanese food, I liked anime when I had no idea they were even Japanese, and I only have one Japanese friend (and he's been my friend since I was an infant, far before I even cared about Japan. Heck, I even admitted that manga are comic books, calling manga "manga" instead of "comics" is simply form of differentiation for Japanese and Western comic books.

So can you please stop calling me that? Normally I wouldn't mind, but that's pretty much all you say so it's more annoying than anything else.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
11. If the game is Enchanted Arms, ***** that game and it's way too hard for me final boss.

Literally every boss before that was a pushover. It would be easier if all the items weren't "use on yourself only" besides the revive items.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
I'm looking at you, Dragon Age Origins.

I never found it that much of a learning curve. Maybe it's because I played DA2 first and I'm a bit more used to these WRPGs but it was pretty easy to get a grasp of.

On the topic of Dragon Age and other WRPGs, I do agree with saving. DA2 was terrible with it too. You'd enter a location and it'd autosave when you entered it. But they blocked the entrance so you can't get back out if the mission is too hard. So you're forced to either keep trying the mission and hope you get lucky or reload an old save and redo a bunch of shit. Although I feel like this issue is just with DA2 being shitty.

But I do have that issue at times in Fallout 3/New Vegas and stuff. I forget to save in a while and I do and lose a bunch of progress. Really annoying.

I think the most frustrating thing about RPGs is how some things are completely useless. Like say for example you want to invest in, I don't know, an archery stat. Little do you know that archery is terrible and your same character can use a better weapon anyway. So you're stuck with a mediocre specialty for the rest of the game. Happens a lot in RPGs it seems.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I think the most frustrating thing about RPGs is how some things are completely useless. Like say for example you want to invest in, I don't know, an archery stat. Little do you know that archery is terrible and your same character can use a better weapon anyway. So you're stuck with a mediocre specialty for the rest of the game. Happens a lot in RPGs it seems.
Games seem to slowly be getting better with that lately (well, the good ones at least), but I agree. There are some games where I want to be a rogue, little do I know that despite being quick, Rogues suck. Many times despite giving them good light armor they still end up dying quickly, and this is a problem in some games I play. I mean, it makes sense, Rogues are meant to be quick and dodge attacks. But it sucks when the game has crap stat point allocation, and basically makes the class useless.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
12. You skip out on those tedious random battles, and you find out you're under leveled, now you have to grind 6 hours to be adequate for the next boss.

That's you Pokemon.

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
13. you have to grind like a mo-fo for post game bosses. (ff13 technically the marks are pseudo bosses but some of em were harder than final boss and required max stats)

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Evo.lve said:
Sora de Eclaune said:
Thread title.

1) You forget to save for a few hours and end up dying, which takes you backwards nearly a whole three dungeons. you really should be saving every chance you get though, so this is really a non-issue
2) Second playthroughs are too easy because of the bonuses you get with New Game + and because you know the whole game at that point. mmm, true enough
4) If it's voiced, it probably has bad English voice actors. sound off when voice over is occuring = problem solved. I do agree with you though.
6) Number 1 happens and all of the cutscenes you've already seen aren't able to be skipped. definitely
8) Number 7 happens and the RPG is for a region-locked console. only a problem on unhacked consoles
9) The game is a sequel to a Japan-only game nobody in the US has heard of, and incorporates things from the previous game that aren't explained for the US audience. never had this problem

1) I should, but I get so immersed in the game that I tend to forget for long periods of time.
4) The music is usually way too good for the sound to go off.
5) Oh, there are many a few.
9) If I remember correctly, there are a few like that for the DS and PS2.
10) Nothing, but it still ticks me off that Lufia 2 was changed like it was. I liked Lufia 2 when it was a good old RPG.

Hells Malice said:
1) Happened one too many times. I save like death looms around every damn corner now.
2) Tales games and Devil Survivor are the only RPGs i've really replayed a lot. Tales games have so much content you wont see it all in one playthrough without a walkthrough. Even then, the grade shop is fun to play with.
4)Same as 3. Voice acting has improved, a lot. Some sneak by...*stares at ARF* but, most games aren't bad.
5) Bad jRPGs maybe, lots exist. Which is why I stick to...y'know...good jRPGs. The only constant is the whole "save the world thing." Which, frankly, makes sense. If you weren't saving the world, you'd be playing Animal Crossing and shit.
7) Pretty much
9) I hate the opposite. Valkyria Chronicles 3 has a very slim chance of getting localized...and yet we got the first 2 friggin' games. Assholes. I've never played a game with a japn only prequel.
5) Well, even good jRPGs occasionally get bad dubs.
9) Actually, the original release of the first two Star Ocean games was like that. Star Ocean for the SNES was never localized, but Star Ocean: The Second Story, which took place only 20 years after Star Ocean and even involved some of the characters from the first game, was.
10) Lufia 2's remake on the DS. Nothing more needs to be said.

QUOTE(DarkShinigami @ Oct 3 2011, 02:13 PM)
13. you have to grind like a mo-fo for post game bosses. (ff13 technically the marks are pseudo bosses but some of em were harder than final boss and required max stats)
The Adamantoise?

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
Evo.lve said:
Sora de Eclaune said:
Thread title.

1) I should, but I get so immersed in the game that I tend to forget for long periods of time.
4) The music is usually way too good for the sound to go off.
5) Oh, there are many a few.
9) If I remember correctly, there are a few like that for the DS and PS2.
10) Nothing, but it still ticks me off that Lufia 2 was changed like it was. I liked Lufia 2 when it was a good old RPG.

Hells Malice said:
7) Pretty much
5) Well, even good jRPGs occasionally get bad dubs.
9) Actually, the original release of the first two Star Ocean games was like that. Star Ocean for the SNES was never localized, but Star Ocean: The Second Story, which took place only 20 years after Star Ocean and even involved some of the characters from the first game, was.
10) Lufia 2's remake on the DS. Nothing more needs to be said.

QUOTE(DarkShinigami @ Oct 3 2011, 02:13 PM)
The Adamantoise?
yup plus some of the marks in the game made the final boss look like a joke(but max stats do the same thing)

oh and before i forget WA1 had a post game boss that required max level or max scape goat (accessory that sacrifices itself to revive said character)

kupo3000

Trophies
XP
Country
14) Some RPGs have a crap load of monsters that vary in rewards, yet no bestiary. I'm looking at you Xenoblade...

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am often bugged by how long some RPGs can be.

Now, it's not that I have anything against long games; only ones that feel stretched out. In quite a few RPGs, it seems that they are padded with a lot of unnecessary filler (or require loads of grinding) in order to simply waste hours of the player's time.

I know some people prefer all their games to be long affairs, but this strategy just bugs me. I would prefer a short, but well paced game over a bloated long one that wears out its welcome.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What frustrates me in RPGs, for example, MegaTen, if the MC where to get killed off, but no one else, game over. Pisses me off when I'm the only one who dies and yet everyone else lives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Pretty cool actually