Homebrew [Realease]Card1 <-> Card2 Converter

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Saves are not stored on the console SD card afaik, but the internal 3DS NAND.
The only save data that is stored in the 3DS NAND is save data for built-in games that are installed to the NAND. Games installed to the SD card store their save data on the SD card. Cartridge save data, regardless of whether it's card1 or card2, is stored on the cartridge (or on the SD card for games that use extdata).

That's how it normally works, anyway. I can't say I know how a card like the Gateway or Sky3DS might use the NAND.

Anyways, what I am trying to do is my son 8 autistic thought it would be a good idea to take out the consoles sd card and force it back into the console sd slot backwards and inside out.
You realize you already said this in your first post, right..?

so now when you turn the console on it will say the sd card is locked and data cant be accessed, so he has pretty much fecked up the sd slot.
I'll admit it's quite possible the pins in the slot might be bent out of shape, but have you tried using a new card in the slot yet? SD cards sometimes become read-only when they start to fail and if you haven't tried another SD card yet it does not seem reasonable to say that the slot is faulty.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only save data that is stored in the 3DS NAND is save data for built-in games that are installed to the NAND. Games installed to the SD card store their save data on the SD card. Cartridge save data, regardless of whether it's card1 or card2, is stored on the cartridge (or on the SD card for games that use extdata).

That's how it normally works, anyway. I can't say I know how a card like the Gateway or Sky3DS might use the NAND.

You realize you already said this in your first post, right..?

I'll admit it's quite possible the pins in the slot might be bent out of shape, but have you tried using a new card in the slot yet? SD cards sometimes become read-only when they start to fail and if you haven't tried another SD card yet it does not seem reasonable to say that the slot is faulty.
yea ive tried other sd cards, he has knackered the port up, he really managed to force the sd card into the port and then tried being a hamster to bite the sd card out.

it took me ages to get the sd card back out.

i think probably will have to sit and download them all and hope some will work and wont need the console sd card to store/save data.

i think thats the problem, not its save method as i noticed his mario maker doesnt work either and thats an original cart, it says it cant access the sd card to save the required system files for the game to run.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i noticed his mario maker doesnt work either and thats an original cart, it says it cant access the sd card to save the required system files for the game to run.
As I said in my post, some cartridge games use the SD card for "extdata"; Mario Maker is definitely one of them. https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata provides an incomplete list. Some games only use extdata for certain features and might still work even if they can't create extdata. To be quite clear, this has nothing to do with "card1" vs "card2" and I very much doubt it is possible to somehow patch a game that needs extdata to somehow not use extdata.

I'm really not familiar with whatever requirements the Gateway or Sky3DS might have for the internal SD card.

Anyway, you wouldn't be the first person with a busted SD card slot. Apparently it is possible to order a new replacement slot, but I've never done anything like that personally.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said in my post, some cartridge games use the SD card for "extdata"; Mario Maker is definitely one of them. https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata provides an incomplete list. Some games only use extdata for certain features and might still work even if they can't create extdata. To be quite clear, this has nothing to do with "card1" vs "card2" and I very much doubt it is possible to somehow patch a game that needs extdata to somehow not use extdata.

I'm really not familiar with whatever requirements the Gateway or Sky3DS might have for the internal SD card.

Anyway, you wouldn't be the first person with a busted SD card slot. Apparently it is possible to order a new replacement slot, but I've never done anything like that personally.
Yea, after testing multiple pokemon roms, it seems they all want to read/write to the console sd slot.

I might as well buy another 3ds, preferably already fully modded with games installed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ