Hacking Real USB ISO Loader discussion

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
@computerboy: Piracy is a problem. It's a huge fucking problem. Making games is not cheap these days. The money has to be gotten back from somewhere.

The core audience for some fitness game probably can't pirate, so they buy it. The game sells well. Then comes some real game. You probably guess what happens. It's too complicated for fitness people so they don't buy it. And you pirate it. With USB loader it's going to be too easy. Even people that didn't bother with gamma etc. will now pirate games. More people pirating, less real games. I know my Wii isn't a PSP, but with PSP pirating is too easy. You see what happened to it, don't you? My DS has been collecting dust for ages. There's nothing to play on it. Piratings too easy. Wii doesn't get good games every month, but there are a lot of good games for it already, with more coming. If enough people pirate their games, it just isn't sensible making games for wii, other than carnival games mini-game megamix ultra.

@ganon: No. Read what you just linked.

@Master Mo: A lot of people are not pirating cause they rather buy their games than start meddling with +, -, r, rw, booktyping etc. I personally know few like this. And being a small studio doesn't mean they are making wiiware. BTW, the very same guys that don't bother with discs pirate their wiiware and vc. If it would be as easy pirating "full" games, they would. Make your own conclusion.

Thank you for your time.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Richy Freeway said:
A lot of the threads on here are a waste of space.

There is a difference between people asking stupid questions and people passing off nonsense as knowledge. Those you have to tell.

zapu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
roku93 said:
My DS has been collecting dust for ages. There's nothing to play on it.

*cough* gta:cw *cough*

And cut this bullshit. Everyone can pirate if they want. Just get a modchip if you are lazy and voila. BackupLauncher didn't kill wii and USB loader won't do it either.

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Master Mo said:
I don`t get why some people are thinking, that a USB-ISO-Loader would be much worse to sales than it is now. What I mean is, that you still need to download the isos... The only real benefit is, that you wouldn`t need to burn the Discs (cost for one blank DVD is really affordable and not very heavy to ones wallet) and you wouldn`t have to change the Disc, when you would like to play another game... So I really don`t see how this would ruin the sales of especially small developers, like some mentioned in this thread. The methods to play WiiWare and VC titles (wads) was all the worse to sales of those small developers...

I think you're right! Wii sells like hell as none of the other consoles do. No price drop since release - In UK they talk about weak pound and rising the price....

So where's the ISO-Loader - give it to us ;-)

GamerzInc

Trophies
XP
Country
Even with a usb loader things will be the same as they are now. People won't take the time to find torrent sites or sign up for usenet/rapidshare/whatever. That's too much work. The average joe also won't be bothered with going out to buy an hdd and setting up his way to play over it. It's just too much work. The only people that would use it are those that are pirating now and the friends of those people.

Cygoku

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Filesize limit, why not dump the data of the game to a folder and mount it as a NOD.

Please go ahead, kill me.

Cygoku

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think playing WiiWare/VC Games from USB/SD would be interesting too and should be easily doable for Waninkoko and too as they can do it in the opposite direction (playing DVD games from Channel).

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Skarface05 said:
Blue K - It may pay 2 do a little homework about what you are talking about/discussing before posting.

tongue.gif

shy.gif
...Well, this was a big failure of me, I'm realy sorry and ashamed...will be quiet now for technical details, and go away...
Knocks said:
This thread is a waste of space. If a USB loader is going to be created, it's not going to come out of a "wish list" by newbies who have no idea what they're talking about. It will be made just like all other useful Wii homebrew, i.e. someone will write the software and it will be posted when time comes.
Nobody forces you to read it..
wink2.gif
I've gave the permission to the Mods that they can delete it, if they find it useless. And like I've said, I've made it, so that the Off-Topic on other Topics goes away. If that don't work...no problem if it will be deleted...
Knocks said:
QUOTE(Richy Freeway @ Mar 17 2009, 01:16 PM)
A lot of the threads on here are a waste of space.
There is a difference between people asking stupid questions and people passing off nonsense as knowledge. Those you have to tell.
Never said I have knowledge...I've just shared my (definitely wrong) Ideas, to start a discussion...not more...

Now Back to Topic..

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
GamerzInc said:
Even with a usb loader things will be the same as they are now. People won't take the time to find torrent sites or sign up for usenet/rapidshare/whatever. That's too much work. The average joe also won't be bothered with going out to buy an hdd and setting up his way to play over it. It's just too much work. The only people that would use it are those that are pirating now and the friends of those people.
That`s exactly what I meant. Maybe I communicated it not that good
tongue.gif
But a USB-ISO-Loader would be really great. Even for people who own the "real" game but don`t want to change discs. But who knows, if something like that is possible. For now it`s, as far as I know, just speculation....

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
Master Mo said:
Even for people who own the "real" game but don`t want to change discs. But who knows, if something like that is possible. For now it`s, as far as I know, just speculation....
I'd just use it for games I bought. I paid a lot of them, and certainly don't want to see them scratched. And my Wii drive is louder than my mate's Xbox 360 ...
wacko.gif

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zapu said:
Can we use standard fopen/fseek/fread functions within dip module and can they use USB2.0 driver? If so, creating a iso loader should be easy.

And it's definately possible, marcan himself stated that he is capable of creating sd loader.

Marcan says he could do everything, I'm not saying he's not very good, but very up himself.

QUOTE(Knocks @ Mar 17 2009, 05:08 PM) This thread is a waste of space. If a USB loader is going to be created, it's not going to come out of a "wish list" by newbies who have no idea what they're talking about. It will be made just like all other useful Wii homebrew, i.e. someone will write the software and it will be posted when time comes.

Well, most foss development happens on mailing lists with noobs involved. And cioscorp came about from a "what if"/"wish list" style post. Sometimes the person with the idea to get things working doesn't have the knowledge to get it working.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm sick and tired of people saying how piracy will kill [console name].

NO console has ever been killed by homebrew. Except Dreamcast. But they were asking for it.

I still see PSP game commercials. And I have a PSP. But I barely play it anymore because it's boring. If I could get any game I wanted, there's no games to get. It's not piracy, it's a bad console.

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm not saying piracy kills the wii. I'm saying it probably will affect negatively to the number of good games. Casuals will buy crap and that'll keep the console alive. But it seems to me that people here are *this* near cutting my head off, so I'll shut up for now. Do what you will.

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Arm the Homeless said:

NO console has ever been killed by homebrew. Except Dreamcast. But they were asking for it.

I still see PSP game commercials. And I have a PSP. But I barely play it anymore because it's boring. If I could get any game I wanted, there's no games to get. It's not piracy, it's a bad console.
I totally agree. And I don't see the difference, in terms of sales loss, between an USB iso loader and a DVD iso loader.
And actually 90% of wii games are so bad that they're not even worth a free download... seriously.

forbore

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
computerboy said:
running a Wii game on linux is not possible. Extracting the game partition from a Wii game is possible but would cause problems with the 4 gb file limit size. The best solution is to create an NTFS driver for Wii so it can read more than 4 gb but of course would take some time to develop. About the piracy: only a few thousand people pirate Wii games but that's nothin compared to the millions of Wiis sold all over the world

EDIT: the NTFS driver would only be necessary for very little games cause if you look on: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/Wii...tion_Sizes_List only a few games are bigger than 4 gb
What do you mean a 4GB limit??? Only FAT has that! I use linux everyday and I transfer many 5GB files everyday from NTFS to EXT3 and vice-versa. Also, EXT4 just came out so thats another possibility.

forbore

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tetsuo Shima said:
Arm the Homeless said:

I totally agree. And I don't see the difference, in terms of sales loss, between an USB iso loader and a DVD iso loader.
And actually 90% of wii games are so bad that they're not even worth a free download... seriously.
So true! I DL'd ~30 games but the only games I actually play are SSBB(I bought it on release day), SMG(bought it too), and SuperSonic Wii which is probably the best Homebrew game so far. The other games are just sitting on my table picking up dust...
biggrin.gif

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
forbore said:
computerboy said:
running a Wii game on linux is not possible. Extracting the game partition from a Wii game is possible but would cause problems with the 4 gb file limit size. The best solution is to create an NTFS driver for Wii so it can read more than 4 gb but of course would take some time to develop. About the piracy: only a few thousand people pirate Wii games but that's nothin compared to the millions of Wiis sold all over the world

EDIT: the NTFS driver would only be necessary for very little games cause if you look on: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/Wii...tion_Sizes_List only a few games are bigger than 4 gb
What do you mean a 4GB limit??? Only FAT has that! I use linux everyday and I transfer many 5GB files everyday from NTFS to EXT3 and vice-versa. Also, EXT4 just came out so thats another possibility.
EXT4 hasn't just came out. The code was stable in 2.6.28 which was released on December 28, 2008.
But it's still a good filesystem. (I use it. Arch GNU/Linux here)

Also, EXT3 is just EXT2 with journaling.

jobobalo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wanin has found a way to boot disk-based games via .wad.
It seems to me like the most logical progression would be to support .wad loading via USB2 (no easy feat, I know).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou