Re: Urgent Message to Canadians

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
Is there really something we can do about this? not really if they want to pass this law they will anyway... you would just have to know this government.

Is there really something the can do about piracy? not really its so easy now in 2009 its not even funny... The offer of material becomes unlimited from now.

Is there really something we can do about copyright? Its still the best way to make money; as long as people want your product just don't make shitty stuff and you will still sell a lot.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The whole debacle over copyright is a bit silly because there are plenty of ways to go about providing anything from movies to music and games in alternative methods that would be cheaper for some gamers. I have no issues with paying for good games, however the prices are becoming damn near extortion for console titles and companies can damn well blow me if they expect me to pay 70 dollars for a fricking 360 or PS3 game. One advantage the PC has is that games always remain around the same prices, rarely do you see games selling for over 50 bucks. DS games are generally pretty cheap but the downside is there are so many great games that it is hard to afford them all, plus carrying around a bundle of cartridges can be annoying. Digital content distribution would be successful on the DSi since games are not that big in size and you cut out the middle man called taxes and all the other extra costs that come with buying a game from a store so a 35 dollar game might only cost you 20 or whatever. Like with iTunes, CD's that I want are sometimes expensive, I wanted to get one yesterday but it was 33.99 plus tax, yet it's 9.99 on iTunes and I don't usually care about the cases anyway.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
DSGamer64 said:
The whole debacle over copyright is a bit silly because there are plenty of ways to go about providing anything from movies to music and games in alternative methods that would be cheaper for some gamers. I have no issues with paying for good games, however the prices are becoming damn near extortion for console titles and companies can damn well blow me if they expect me to pay 70 dollars for a fricking 360 or PS3 game. One advantage the PC has is that games always remain around the same prices, rarely do you see games selling for over 50 bucks. DS games are generally pretty cheap but the downside is there are so many great games that it is hard to afford them all, plus carrying around a bundle of cartridges can be annoying. Digital content distribution would be successful on the DSi since games are not that big in size and you cut out the middle man called taxes and all the other extra costs that come with buying a game from a store so a 35 dollar game might only cost you 20 or whatever. Like with iTunes, CD's that I want are sometimes expensive, I wanted to get one yesterday but it was 33.99 plus tax, yet it's 9.99 on iTunes and I don't usually care about the cases anyway.
Don't scoff at this. This isn't silly. this is a REALLY big deal. You likely never be able to download any sort of copyrighted material, no matter what it is, again. This is going to hit us in ways quite apart from just downloading as well. This is one bill we DON'T want passed.

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
What bill are you talking about?
I have not seen anything yet I should be affraid of. Please show me cos i am a dumb canadian.

AND I AM GONNA VOTE FOR STEPHEN HARPER AGAIN
gbasp.gif

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Folks, this isn't an inevitability. I've brought this to your attention so that you can help stop this legislation in its tracks. It hasn't happened yet, and it doesn't need to. All you need to do is make your voices as Canadians heard by following some or all of the instructions in the first post of this very topic. It's not difficult, and it will make a difference. We've already made a huge difference by getting them to open this up to the public in the first place. We can do it again!

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ace Gunman said:
Folks, this isn't an inevitability. I've brought this to your attention so that you can help stop this legislation in its tracks. It hasn't happened yet, and it doesn't need to. All you need to do is make your voices as Canadians heard by following some or all of the instructions in the first post of this very topic. It's not difficult, and it will make a difference. We've already made a huge difference by getting them to open this up to the public in the first place. We can do it again!
Just to add on to Ace's words, if all of you who post here actually do write a letter or anything else, we can make a difference. If you start complaining and you take no action, you might as well consider that bill passed. But if you go to the first post and follow some of the directions, like Ace said, we can make a difference. There's strength in numbers, and together we can shoot this bill down! I've already done my part by writing a letter to the Prime Minister, what have you done?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have written emails for so many causes, including this one. Seems the government is keeping it under pretty tight wrap too and the media hasn't given this whole issue a lot of coverage.

emupaul

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heads up, day three concluded on a very high profile copyright case yesterday evening... can't wait to find out what happens tomorrow, I have been following this case and others, i don't think things will go well for the defended and may cause / already caused an upsetting precedent. Shitty.

http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot....-tenenbaum.html

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Those are all US court issues, not Canadian ones. Record companies have very little authority in this country and our current copyright laws give us some extra protection from those bastards. Now our government wants to take away some of our rights and protection from them and give them full control over, however I like this quote because it's true:

"The concern of this Court is that in these lawsuits, potentially meritorious legal and factual defenses are not being litigated, and instead, the federal judiciary is being used as a hammer by a small group of plaintiffs to pound settlements out of unrepresented defendants."

There is no merit in taking random people to court over some music piracy, people will still continue to download music illegally out of spite for record companies, might as well give those companies SS badges and let them wear swastikas because they are basically going Nazi on random people just to make money off those who don't even have it.

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah about me sending an e-mail...would it do anything after all I'm AMERICAN...If there's anyway I can help (including sending an e-mail) I'll do it. FOR CANADA!!!

mastertop101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
this stuff is absurd... im canadian and i believe there's no legit or ethical excuse to pirate (STEAL) stuff
people just want to steal media thats the only reason they are afraid of copyright laws... they try to convince themselves and others that they do this for freedom and other bullshit but deeply inside they know the true reason

Don't quite know what's the point of this public speakout... it should be expected that canadians want to steal media stuff, anyhow they say it...

it's like going at the grocery store and steal 25% of what you buy there, just so that the grocery store makes 0$ in profit... would that be okay?

the good thing that shall be done is enforcing those laws... but obviously what we want is the opposite

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
mastertop101 said:
this stuff is absurd... im canadian and i believe there's no legit or ethical excuse to pirate (STEAL) stuff
people just want to steal media thats the only reason they are afraid of copyright laws... they try to convince themselves and others that they do this for freedom and other bullshit but deeply inside they know the true reason

Don't quite know what's the point of this public speakout... it should be expected that canadians want to steal media stuff, anyhow they say it...

it's like going at the grocery store and steal 25% of what you buy there, just so that the grocery store makes 0$ in profit... would that be okay?

the good thing that shall be done is enforcing those laws... but obviously what we want is the opposite
There are far more reasons than "the love of stealing stuff". I'm sure that's true for some, but not all. Perfectly legitimate business would be crippled or ended, various products that permeate the market place would be made illegal, want to back up a song from your mp3 player? That'd be a crime. The list goes on and on.

And I have a question for you. I'm not going to take the low road and ask how someone who frequents GBAtemp, a site that details recently pirated material can be as high and mighty as you seem to be. No, I wish to ask you... why are you here? And I don't mean that rhetorically. Why are you here? There are only two reasons for someone to join GBAtemp:

1) They're a pirate, in which case everything you've pirated will be made illegal, and you can look forward to being fined thousands upon thousands of dollars for future instances. One little DS game, retail price? $39.99. Download cost?... $500+ fine.

2) They're a fan of homebrew, and enjoy all the wonderful homebrew applications the scene creates for flashcarts and whatnot. In that case, you can look forward to the fact that flash carts will be made illegal. It will be illegal to sell, use, and buy flash carts of any kind in Canada. Including importing.

Whichever one of those you are, you will be profoundly affected by this. And if you claim to be neither, well, then you're simply lying to me or yourself, because no one comes to GBAtemp except one of those two types.

On another level, everyone pirates. Everyone. And I don't mean that everyone is a compulsive downloader who wishes to undermine the foundation of copyright law. No, I mean that everyone from your elderly grandmother to your 6 year old daughter have pirated something at one time or another. Maybe they saw their favorite song online, an episode of SpongeBob, who knows. They probably didn't even stop to consider what they're doing, not knowing that it was illegal.

Should they be fined hundreds to thousands of dollars, possibly facing jail time... for a mistake? Because that's the sort of reality we're looking at here. Accidentally download an mp3? Say hello to a criminal record and goodbye to a huge chunk of change out of your pocket. So no, it's not as black and white as you would believe.

On an semi-related note, it's a flawed perspective to think every time someone downloads a file a company loses money. There are many things that I would download that I would never consider buying. In that scenario the company/product isn't losing a customer, because they never had one to begin with. I wasn't ever going to buy that mp3, so it's not a financial hit to them if I download it. Alternatively there are many people who download things in order to test them before purchasing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNH5pnioQk