RCM Loader Updater

johndoegba

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah that's exactly what it looks like.

FWIW, when I run the RCMLoader it Connects (green), downloads the file (green PASS message), and then restarts the device but when it comes back up Windows doesn't recognize the device. It's probably because it tried to write a 2M image to a 700K partition and threw up.

View attachment 351235

See pics above...I have the entire thing open and full access to everything. I can certainly unsolder the + wire.
Post automatically merged:

Removed the + line for 30 seconds. Soldered it back. It seemed to do nothing when I plugged it into the PC. No signs of life at all. No USB recognition on the PC side either. Was able to get back to what I assume we both believe is DFU mode by holding the + button and plugging it back in. I'm back to square one. I'm going to read up on DFU...aside from resetting Apple devices, I've not messed with it much.

So I know more about DFU than I did 20 minutes ago.

This article was very helpful:
https://web.archive.org/web/2022122...10/emulating-usb-dfu-to-capture-firmware.html

Instead of dragging others into trying to dump firmware in DFU mode, I think I’m going to wait and risk my own when it comes in the mail.

Fortunately my logs show the VID/PID and expected folder location so maybe I can emulate a device and dump the firmware.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200618043250/http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net/

Last update for the night…was able to pull the software and build it on my rPi. It looks like I have a legit way to up/down load firmware via DFU when my device arrives. Will update when I know more.

View attachment 351240

Did you manage to unbrick any RCM Loader's that had been wiped of their volume/partition?

johsam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is a clone. about 700KB drive size.

I have plenty, usually works ok if only 1 payload in the Atmosphere/Hekate folder.

It will starts broke down when 2 or more payload in other folders. (2 sometimes work)

1 tell-tell sign is when you put more payload, trying to select payload doesn't change the blinking LED light.

Normal/Original RCM Loader should have approx 2MB drive size.
Thank you for this information!

I had no idea I had bought a clone and couldn't figure out why it wasn´t working.

I removed all the payloads from all the folders and copied over just the fusee.bin to the ATMOSPHERE_HEKATE-folder and renamed it to payload.bin and now it's working again.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for this information!

I had no idea I had bought a clone and couldn't figure out why it wasn´t working.

I removed all the payloads from all the folders and copied over just the fusee.bin to the ATMOSPHERE_HEKATE-folder and renamed it to payload.bin and now it's working again.
Yes. Clones for the RCM Loader have already been out since April of 2022 just after they stopped selling them. I still have mine before they were removed off AliExpress, however, they do not work with the latest hekake payload. So you need to flash a custom firmware onto the microcontroller with an Arduino and such.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes. Clones for the RCM Loader have already been out since April of 2022 just after they stopped selling them. I still have mine before they were removed off AliExpress, however, they do not work with the latest hekake payload. So you need to flash a custom firmware onto the microcontroller with an Arduino and such.
Hum, I have two OG RCM loader, and they work fine with latest Hekate payload, and all the 7 entries work for different payloads 🤔

you could also use the argon-nx payload. its similar to hekate but never requires updating since it just chainloads payloads
https://github.com/Storm21CH/ArgonNX-SE
I have a shrinked hidden Sxos partition along with full hidden partition with atmosphere, but since the latest release of Hekate can’t boot from launch , neither with Argon-NX (when it worked before).
Only RCM loader or FastCFW allow me to correctly boot Sxos.

Last edited by Maupiti,
Reactions: SylverReZ

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hum, I have two OG RCM loader, and they work fine with latest Hekate payload, and all the 7 entries work for different payloads 🤔

I have a shrinked hidden Sxos partition along with full hidden partition with atmosphere, but since the latest release of Hekate can’t boot from launch , neither with Argon-NX (when it worked before).
Only RCM loader or FastCFW allow me to correctly boot Sxos.
i believe they referring to the clones. from numerus reports on gbatemp. ive heard, around hekate 5.8 i think it was, the clones wouldnt load the later versions of the payload for some reason.

i dont know much bout the "loss of sxos support", but if thats the case that sucks. i was recently thinking of setting up my sx os again. might not now, unless i can find my old sx os dongle

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i believe they referring to the clones. from numerus reports on gbatemp. ive heard, around hekate 5.8 i think it was, the clones wouldnt load the later versions of the payload for some reason.

i dont know much bout the "loss of sxos support", but if thats the case that sucks. i was recently thinking of setting up my sx os again. might not now, unless i can find my old sx os dongle
Sxos is dead, and can be run only up to 11.00. But I wanted to keep it for playing my old games compatible with 11.00 on external hdd docked, or ssd 3.00 handled when travelling. You don’t need a ax dongle, whatever dongle can do the job, even Tegra RCM if you use a pc.
Have a 👀 here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...en-partitions-on-the-same-sd-tutorial.601607/

Last edited by Maupiti,

BasharTeg

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, if I buy one of these clone rcmloader dongles, and...
- put the Dragonboot ...
- or, put a hekate (currently 6.0.7)...

...as payload.bin in the Atmosphere folder, will it actually work?

Background:
I have an original xkit RCMLoader one dongle (the one with the small plastic case) from a few years ago, and it works perfectly. Wanted to buy a Switch for my nephew for XMas, but just have found out that N has apparently nuked the xkit site at some point, and getting an original xkit RCM loader now appears to be next to impossible (?)
Right now, the only option seem to be to use a rcmloader clone. Hence the question above, will any of these clones actually work with hekate 6.0.7 (and beyond), or with that Dragonboot payload, out of the box?

If not, what are the remaining options,. if any?

Thanks in advance!

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should work. Hekate added a feature that even if you boot up with an old payload, it'll check the bootloader folder for a newer hekate payload and then chainload that, finally booting up the latest hekate. For some reason or another, the clones don't like the newer payload after a certain firmware. Can't remember how old it's gotta be. The dragon payload will just chainload whatever payload you point to.

There is also the option of using the payload argonnx-se. It's a payload that can chainload a few other kinds of payloads.
https://github.com/Storm21CH/ArgonNX-SE

The only other options besides that dongle, is either use a pc/phone to push the payload or install a "modchip" (its essentially a dongle that's internally installed

Last edited by kidkat210,

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
If not, what are the remaining options,. if any?
Your pc is an option. Your smartphone is an option. Although...it depends which os you use. Is it android, then you're lucky. Android has rekado for example (which gets frequent updates) which doesn't need root. iOS has nxboot. But this requires a jailbreak. And your last option is a bit overkill...but still. Solder in a trinket m0 chip. It is (as i stated already) overkill. But it's so covenient. Installed it in my two switches and i'm happy with it.

Youser

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When you say, it does not work with the latest, do you mean the console won’t even boot? I just updated my switch to 17.0.0 and used the new payload that was in the update pack that I downloaded, put it in my RCM loader and it’s working fine. I believe I have a clone.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
When you say, it does not work with the latest, do you mean the console won’t even boot? I just updated my switch to 17.0.0 and used the new payload that was in the update pack that I downloaded, put it in my RCM loader and it’s working fine. I believe I have a clone.
i have a clone i guess or just the newest shittest version :D that can update firmware but it has some problems with loding more than 2/3 payloads other than that it is booting hekate i belive on 6 smething version i dont even bother to update it more than once becouse it is working still

Last edited by Lamcza,

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The console will still boot, but the latest hekake will not boot properly through RCM. I have tried that in the past, but with no luck. The new clones that are out there on AliExpress can use updated payloads if you have a white box variant or some other revision.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The console will still boot, but the latest hekake will not boot properly through RCM. I have tried that in the past, but with no luck. The new clones that are out there on AliExpress can use updated payloads if you have a white box variant or some other revision.
Just use an older version of hekate that works/fits on the rcm loader, and have the latest version of hekate as update.bin in SD:/bootloader/.

swspjcd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am 99% sure that I have a clone which I am ok with. The issue I am having is when I plug it into a Windows 10 computer, it appears to be recognized as a device but I can't actually access it at all. I have tried on Android and it also recognizes it but the filesystem is never accessible, or sometimes I can see the directory structure, but only for a few seconds before the device becomes completely inaccessible again. I bought 2 of the same device and they both do this same behavior. Any ideas how I can get the OS to see it so I can update the payload.bin on it? Once it locks up, the white light stays on even if it isn't plugged into anything. I have to wait until the battery drains completely before I can even try again to access it.
Ideas?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am 99% sure that I have a clone which I am ok with. The issue I am having is when I plug it into a Windows 10 computer, it appears to be recognized as a device but I can't actually access it at all. I have tried on Android and it also recognizes it but the filesystem is never accessible, or sometimes I can see the directory structure, but only for a few seconds before the device becomes completely inaccessible again. I bought 2 of the same device and they both do this same behavior. Any ideas how I can get the OS to see it so I can update the payload.bin on it? Once it locks up, the white light stays on even if it isn't plugged into anything. I have to wait until the battery drains completely before I can even try again to access it.
Ideas?
Have you tried holding down the button on the RCMLoader, then plug into PC USB while button pressed down?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Ideas?
This is a know problem of the clones, if you format the UMS disk the device becomes bricked and can not be recovered using the restore firmware method because the firmware is completely different of the official one.

Reactions: BigOnYa

swspjcd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a know problem of the clones, if you format the UMS disk the device becomes bricked and can not be recovered using the restore firmware method because the firmware is completely different of the official one.
I didn't try to flash or do anything to either of my devices except look at the file system which doesn't even work. I can't even get any OS to see the filesystem structure for more than a few seconds if I can get that st all.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I didn't try to flash or do anything to either of my devices except look at the file system which doesn't even work. I can't even get any OS to see the filesystem structure for more than a few seconds if I can get that st all.
Try pressing the reset button of the rcm loader and try again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol