Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hello,

I am slightly less scared right now.

In this thread I am kindly asking you to rate and review the gaming decades. Follow my example if you like.

Tiers:
#1 90s
#2 80s
#3 00s
#4 10s
#5 70s
#6 20s(so far)
#7 30s

#1 90s
They were the best. Gaming was innovative/experminental and less nasty and frightening

#2 80s
Same but less advanced but maybe more experimentalnism and less scary and nasty.

#3 00s
Japanese 3D gaming was in many was the peak.

#4 10s
Last time of recognizable innovation, pretty nasty and frightening but pretty advanced games.

#5 70s
Theyve tried

#6 20s (so far)
Hideous

#7 30s
Gaming has crashed. End of gaming

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say the 90's and 00's are probably tied. While the 90's had the more iconic and wonderful games the 00's introduced some awesome new IP's and the expanse of multiplayer games to the console and PC markets.

70's were the start and quick boom of Video games, they had very little to make possible with games but got very far with imagination and coding techniques. It was a time for pioneers. To discount this era would be discounting on the very rise and popularity of video games itself.

80's were similar to the 70's but when it became acknowledged that quality control was optional in making video games and there was no proper way to tell if the game you were buying was absolute shit or not which caused the great crash of '83 and it would be some time before the concept of gaming would get pulled out of the ashes since it was considered investment poison here in the states. The help of computer games and a Japanese company by the name of Nintendo rebranding their console as an "entertainment system" helped rehabilitate the video game industry.

10's have been a decline as quality started to dip in favor of trying to sell more things to expand gameplay or customization in the form of microtransactions. This became the case so much that games would often now exist behind paywalls or would ship not completely finished selling pieces of the game that should have been in there in the first place. This started in the late 00's but became the normal and begrudgingly accepted in the 10's.

20's are too early to tell but it seems to be a continued downward trend of quality from the 10's. At least most people are fed up over microtransactions and game companies are starting to acknowledge how shit they are for pulling some of this shit, that said we have only seen less than a handful of promising games actually live up to the promising hype as most have ended up being unfinished garbage pushed out to meet deadlines rather than wait until its actually done. Again something that was being made apparent in the late 10's but carried over into the 20's. Also while the hatred of microtransactions are now generally accepted gaming companies are trying to push live services to better milk their gaming communities on, because hell if GTA5O and Fortnite were successful at this why not try making one yourself? Or maybe 5, or 10? Only for most of them to fail because they miss the entire concept that a live service needs to be fun and engaging first and not just a platform to milk perspective fans, that's why shit like Avengers is bound to die.

I am not touching 30's. We are barely in 20's right now.

Reactions: Creamu

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I would say the 90's and 00's are probably tied. While the 90's had the more iconic and wonderful games the 00's introduced some awesome new IP's and the expanse of multiplayer games to the console and PC markets.

70's were the start and quick boom of Video games, they had very little to make possible with games but got very far with imagination and coding techniques. It was a time for pioneers. To discount this era would be discounting on the very rise and popularity of video games itself.

80's were similar to the 70's but when it became acknowledged that quality control was optional in making video games and there was no proper way to tell if the game you were buying was absolute shit or not which caused the great crash of '83 and it would be some time before the concept of gaming would get pulled out of the ashes since it was considered investment poison here in the states. The help of computer games and a Japanese company by the name of Nintendo rebranding their console as an "entertainment system" helped rehabilitate the video game industry.

10's have been a decline as quality started to dip in favor of trying to sell more things to expand gameplay or customization in the form of microtransactions. This became the case so much that games would often now exist behind paywalls or would ship not completely finished selling pieces of the game that should have been in there in the first place. This started in the late 00's but became the normal and begrudgingly accepted in the 10's.

20's are too early to tell but it seems to be a continued downward trend of quality from the 10's. At least most people are fed up over microtransactions and game companies are starting to acknowledge how shit they are for pulling some of this shit, that said we have only seen less than a handful of promising games actually live up to the promising hype as most have ended up being unfinished garbage pushed out to meet deadlines rather than wait until its actually done. Again something that was being made apparent in the late 10's but carried over into the 20's. Also while the hatred of microtransactions are now generally accepted gaming companies are trying to push live services to better milk their gaming communities on, because hell if GTA5O and Fortnite were successful at this why not try making one yourself? Or maybe 5, or 10? Only for most of them to fail because they miss the entire concept that a live service needs to be fun and engaging first and not just a platform to milk perspective fans, that's why shit like Avengers is bound to die.

I am not touching 30's. We are barely in 20's right now.
Interesting. I think the 70s acconplished alot, but I wouldnt want to go back to that. It really took of mid 80s. Ghouls and ghosts arcade, outrun arcade, famicom, still enjoyable.

My prediction is that GTA6 is going to be the largest production ever, will fail miserably creating a black hole that will suck up everything you described from the 10s and 20s, gaming as we know it will be over.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Very broad strokes here...

1) 10's. This had the rise of indie video games. And in board game form it makes the start with 7 wonders and built upon that.

2) 90's. The game it, but also the quick acceleration in pc games (voodoo2! Doom! C&C! Unreal/half life. And so on). On board game fronts, el grande and Catan laid a solid foundation... And i guess magic: the gathering doesn't need introduction either

3/4 tie) 00's. This was mostly a lull, strangely enough. Sure, it had ut2004 (which i literally played for years) and the start of steam(terrible upon launch), but pc gaming had lost some charm otherwise. Consoles just seemed content with better graphics for the same games and the dabble in 3d (ey early 00) didn't do it for me.
The reason it's tied is because board games. I started in'15, but the groundwork mentioned earlier really produced some powerhouses (Carcassonne, pandemic, dominion, race for the galaxy, le havre), even though i discovered most of the really good stuff many years later

3/4 tied ) 80's. While i had my first encounters in gaming here, i'm not much a sucker for nostalgia. It's more that I'm glad Nintendo succeeded with the nes and Bill Gates sort of unified the pc mess under dos, because things would've looked much different otherwise.

Unrated: 20's. Fatherhood and a pandemic really crippled the start, but there's potential. Mobile games were getting good late 00's (I'm not counting freemium garbage), the steam deck might show a major impact(here's to hoping) and in about four-five years i hope to be board gaming and couch co-oping video games with my(now 2 year old) daughter. So I'll get back to this ten years from now. :P

Reactions: Creamu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1