[Random Idea] Any way to Upgrade the Wii U's HDD?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Pecrow, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Pecrow
    OP

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    Does anyone know if its possible to upgrade the Wii U's internal HDD?
    Could IOSUHAX Help on this in any way?

2. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Don't quote me on this but I believe that is the nand size. I am not really sure if there is an HDD.

3. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    There is no HDD inside a Wii U, much like a Wii. Just a NAND chip

TheVinAnator likes this.
  4. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Ahh alright thought so!

5. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    1tb externals are really cheap get them for black Friday for like $50 depending on brand

6. Pecrow
    OP

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    Oh ok, i thought it was an internal hdd. I have had performance problems with games lagging and video cutseens skipping like crazy. Ive bought multiple hdd enclosures and still have the same issue. I hate Nintendo's external HDD crap :-(

7. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Dude.. if it's enclosures and your still having the same issue, it's your drive. It's not nintendo's fault. Their games work perfectly fine from external HDDs.

TerryG, Marko76 and VinLark like this.
  8. Marko76
    This message by Marko76 has been removed from public view by raulpica, Nov 25, 2016, Reason: Let's be a bit nicer, shall we -rp.
    Nov 25, 2016
  9. Pecrow
    OP

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    Lol, Im not blaming nintendo for my personal drive, Im complaning of the stupidity of having to use external drives, instead of simply allowing internal hdds that could later be switched out.

10. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Yes.. Cause opening your system is so much easier than plugging in a USB port.

OriginalHamster and yahoo like this.
  11. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    External drives work just as well as an internal especially in this generation of tech, if you are using slow/old/ outdated external drive then thats the blame, ingame lagging in different games is a tell tale sign of it dying you need to upgrade the external drive, same applies to SD cards especially if they keep telling you to reformat it everytime you insert it into a PC[I had this issue when using loadline]

12. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    So Nintendo should be blamed for keeping the cost of their hardware down due to no hdd and that also leads to the console being smaller instead of being the size of a small car like the ps4/x bone plus if a ps4/xbone hdd breaks you can't play anything until you replace the hdd so another good reason why Nintendo did not include a built in hdd and lets not forget not everyone needs the storage space anyway.

Last edited by Marko76, Nov 25, 2016
  13. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Maybe the sleep setting on your HDD is activated, try this:
    1. Go to Settings
    2. Go to Data Management
    3. Hold the D-Pad Down For a Sec
    4. Hold + and - (I did it while holding D-Pad Down)
    5. Change Setting.

[​IMG]

Pecrow likes this.
  14. Pecrow
    OP

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    Im using my PS4's 500gb HHD that I had upgraded, i do not expect sony's hdd to be that crappy. Anyways, I'm glad to finay see someone (@OriginalHamster) trying to be a reasonable person rather then the others that are just bitching because someone said something negative about nintendo. Chill guys, wow.

15. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    I'm not judging you but using externals is nowhere near stupid than using internals for backups. You have a smaller chance of retrieving data on internal if something bad happens
    to the system if not prepared for power outages while playing it can wipe your HDD clean then you are really screwed had this happen to me playing on my jailbroken ps3.

16. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    dude i dont belive sony makes hdds or even ssds for that matter so you need to research then come blow up on the temp