Hacking R5SDHC Run 18 Roms Video updated here!

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ten games is actually fairly generous. A lot of older chips required the user to manually have to flash a new game each time. In this case, the price point may be high, but overall you're actually saving money. Assuming USD gaming prices, at $39.99 a pop, and multiplied by ten, you're paying near $400 USD. This chip costs around $90, so you're technically only paying about $9 per game. This chip breaks new ground because it gives people who updated their console an opportunity to explore the 3DS and what it has to offer - I know plenty of people who would love this, and the fact that its extremely easy to use makes for a decent competition if you're not able to use Gateway.

The honest truth is that a LOT of people are spoiled from the R4 era of flash chips - chips that held hundreds of games for a couple of bucks. The first generations of DS chips cost well within three figures and couldn't do half of what the chips today are capable of.
Wait, wait... you are talking apples and pineapples here. Those carts had a very real limitation, which was that memory was very expensive and a portable 32MB solution was something to be awed about. You can't compare that to paying a few dollars for a 16GB microSD.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The price is high because the retailers set it at that point. I heard those cards go for $50 wholesale and it's up to the retailer to set the price point from there, that's why we're seeing price ranges between $89 and $100+.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait, wait... you are talking apples and pineapples here. Those carts had a very real limitation, which was that memory was very expensive and a portable 32MB solution was something to be awed about. You can't compare that to paying a few dollars for a 16GB microSD.
He's saying that you should be happy for the value. He's not trying to justify the game limit.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The price is high because the retailers set it at that point. I heard those cards go for $50 wholesale and it's up to the retailer to set the price point from there, that's why we're seeing price ranges between $89 and $100+.

It's like Beats by Dre headphones! Those things are made for like twenty bucks, yet they sell for $300 a pop. ._.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I wonder how much it costs to manufacture these carts?
Not a whole lot - $20-$25 at most. Whoever manufactures them sells them wholesale for around $50 to make a profit, then resellers sell them for $89-$100 or so to make a profit as well. The more hands the carts go through the more the End User pays, this applies to all industries.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ten games is actually fairly generous. A lot of older chips required the user to manually have to flash a new game each time. In this case, the price point may be high, but overall you're actually saving money. Assuming USD gaming prices, at $39.99 a pop, and multiplied by ten, you're paying near $400 USD. This chip costs around $90, so you're technically only paying about $9 per game. This chip breaks new ground because it gives people who updated their console an opportunity to explore the 3DS and what it has to offer - I know plenty of people who would love this, and the fact that its extremely easy to use makes for a decent competition if you're not able to use Gateway.

The honest truth is that a LOT of people are spoiled from the R4 era of flash chips - chips that held hundreds of games for a couple of bucks. The first generations of DS chips cost well within three figures and couldn't do half of what the chips today are capable of.

Every flash cart I've used had a way to erase one game and put another on. I have one of those Game Boy flash carts that holds only one ROM at a time... but you can just plug it in the reader and overwrite what's on it. Same for the N64 and whatnot era cards too, so I thought.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Every flash cart I've used had a way to erase one game and put another on. I have one of those Game Boy flash carts that holds only one ROM at a time... but you can just plug it in the reader and overwrite what's on it. Same for the N64 and whatnot era cards too, so I thought.
Just as a point of interest, even flashcarts that are rewritable have a limited number of rewrites. Of course it's not "10", it's counted in thousands (exact number depends on the age of hardware we're talking about), but it's limited as well - they won't "live" forever. ;)

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as a point of interest, even flashcarts that are rewritable have a limited number of rewrites. Of course it's not "10", it's counted in thousands (depending on the age of hardware we're talking about), but it's limited as well - they won't "live" forever. ;)

Well yeah, but that goes without saying.

That's like saying your computer's hard drive, or even a microSD card in general, has an arbitrary limit of uses.
Hardware dying naturally is not the same as putting a limit in place just to force people to buy more of your stuff.

Really, what I was getting at is that I'd never heard of a flash cartridge that literally could only be written to once. At that rate it mayaswell just be a lower-cost ROM board and not a flash cart at all.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well yeah, but that goes without saying.

That's like saying your computer's hard drive, or even a microSD card in general, has an arbitrary limit of uses.
Hardware dying naturally is not the same as putting a limit in place just to force people to buy more of your stuff.

Really, what I was getting at is that I'd never heard of a flash cartridge that literally could only be written to once. At that rate it mayaswell just be a lower-cost ROM board and not a flash cart at all.
I suppose such a thing could've existed if it was based on EPROM's - those are only erasable by strong UV light. As far as I know, those were much cheaper and more accessible than EEPROM's, so perhaps someone "homebrewed" a kit like that ages ago. It's... technically feasible. :P

Meteo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

thats what people were speculating at first, but putting that on a cart like this made little sense.

Judas18

Queen Kunty
Trophies
XP
Country
OK so do we have to put all 10 games on it the first time then? Or can games be added later as long as 10 haven't been put on yet?
I probably should not be reading all of this while mostly unconscious.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country

You could say that also about Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft there games are next to nothing to make but they sell at nearly £50.00 a pop here in the UK so the big boys themselves are as bad at ripping us all off as the flashcard makers themselves but personally I think Gateway card gives me a better product for my money than just buying 1 game!

Meteo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could say that also about Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft there games are next to nothing to make but they sell at nearly £50.00 a pop here in the UK so the big boys themselves are as bad at ripping us all off as the flashcard makers themselves but personally I think Gateway card gives me a better product for my money than just buying 1 game!

huh? unless you are talking about indie games, AAA titles cost 10s of millions of dollars to make. Destiny had a $500 million budget. If anything, they EARNED their pay through sweat and hard work.

Reactions: blazeout123

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, let's forgive the shortcomings of a modern flashcart and compare it with flashcarts that came out over a decade ago.

Next time I see someone criticizing a game's gameplay, graphics, audio or presentation, I'll counter "It's still better than what we got in the Atari 2600 days, so stop complaining and be happy!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Microsoft is worth 3.2 Trillion according to Google lol