Hacking R4's.....don't exist anymore :(! what should I get?

Surexius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey I haven't posted on here for ages! Been so busy hence now also only discovering that R4's no longer exist.

I myself have an R4 and I've recently managed to convince my wee brother to get himself a DS and stop nicking mine and I was going to get him an R4 card, but now they no longer exist!

So here's my question, what card would you guys recomend and do you know of any cheap and realiable websites to get it from?

Thanks in advance!

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd say get an m3 real. It is a fully-featured, frequently updated card. If you don't want that (I'm not sure but I think it's a pretty expensive one), then get an EZ-V, CycloDS, Edge, or DS-TT. For places to buy, I've used DealExtreme and RealHotStuff before with great shopping experiences, and I don't know if it will help you since you live in the UK, but RealHotStuff ships from New Jersey and it only took 2 days for my 3-in-1 to get to AZ. DealExtreme took 3 weeks for my M3Simply, but it ships all the way from China, so you get what you get. Hope this helps
smile.gif

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend the Acekard (or the new DSi ready Acekard). It's pretty simple to setup and use, yet it's also got a pretty active community around. It was one of the first cards to come out with a work around to Chorno Trigger's new copy protection. I gave one to my brother in law's cousin, and he was able to use it without a problem. You can pick one up at Dealextreme for about $11 when it's in stock, but right now they only have the $20 DSi model.

You should consider giving him your R4 is he's used to using it, and then ante up and get a new card yourself. The CycloDS seems to be one of the more popular and feature complete cards on GBATemp, but it goes for about $50+ when you can find one in stock. The Supercard DS One is another feature loaded card, but it's a bit more complex to use. However, it's quirks are worth dealing with at it's $25 pricepoint.

Finally, the cheapest card on the market right now is the DSTT. It has no features to speak of beyond cheat codes, and a clunky UI. For $5 more it's better to just go with the Acekard.

*All prices are in US Dollars.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that depends how much you want to pay for one if you want a cheap one that still has good support get the acekard 2i

blanco613

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if money isn't the concern then get a cyclods evolution that is the best if you want to spend a little less then go to this website www.dealextreme.com they have tons of really cheap flash cards with free shipping i just think you shouldn't get an r4 from this website they sell all the clone r4's you should try a dstt, acecard 2, or maybe an ezflash if you buy ffrom this website. I personally just ordered a cyclo ds evolution from dealwoot.com and can't wait for it to come. anyway hope this helped

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
I'd say give him your R4 and get yourself an M3 Real or M3i Real (both the same, one works also on DSi) it imho is the best flashcart around. Either that or you can browse the forum and look at the features of each flashcart and find the one that suits you best.

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dmonkey21 said:
I'd say get an m3 real. It is a fully-featured, frequently updated card. If you don't want that (I'm not sure but I think it's a pretty expensive one), then get an EZ-V, CycloDS, Edge, or DS-TT. For places to buy, I've used DealExtreme and RealHotStuff before with great shopping experiences, and I don't know if it will help you since you live in the UK, but RealHotStuff ships from New Jersey and it only took 2 days for my 3-in-1 to get to AZ. DealExtreme took 3 weeks for my M3Simply, but it ships all the way from China, so you get what you get. Hope this helps
smile.gif
boycott the m3 team.

also to OP, please don't double post
the r4 equivalent (cheap, pretty reliable) is the dstt
if you want to get something really nice, get the acekard 2 (you don't need i, as its a ds lite)
cyclods is much more expensive, and i don't see how it justifies the price.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
QUOTE said:
cyclods is much more expensive, and i don't see how it justifies the price.
It justifies the price with loads of really cool features and ongoing support. And if you are wondering about the recent lack of updates for it, they're working on a DSi solution.

Surexius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brillant, so its really between this cyclops, Acecard and M3. I'll probally give my girlfriend my R4 and get me and my brother the same card.

Quick question I've got the EWIN card for the second slot to let me play GBA games. Will all of these cards
a) let me play GBA games directly through the card
b) still allow me to play GBA games through my EWIN card as the R4 had.

Thanks again for any help.

Surexius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Was reading the reviews, is there any real difference in the Acecard2 and Acecard2i for a DSL user, excluding the price of course?
Is the software and updates the same and does it run the same?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?