OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
What is this thing?
A modified Wood R4 firmware to work under R4iTT v1.6 (the purple one). It has all features and works almost as expected.

I'm a skeptic person, show me the proof!!!
Ok, watch the following video. Go to 4:10 to see this working on DSi and 8:20 to see on 3DS (thanks Kashif for the video).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ0sxZFw9qQ&feature=feedu[/youtube]

Cool! Where I can get this thing?
You can download the latest version on FileTrip. Since this is not a official Wood version sometimes it'll be released without some function/bugs, so maybe you'll want to use an older version to get these things working. See "Known Issues" for more information.

How to install?
The same as any other firmware, move the contents of the folder to the root of your SD card. If you're new to this flashcard thing, I recommend you to read the "New DSTT FAQ" from Bri.

Will this work on DSTT/DSTTi and their clones?
Probably not, at least on these flashcard it was proved that didn't work: official DSTT, official DSTTi, DSTTi Gold, R4i3DS, R4iLL, R4-III. Your best shot would be the other R4iTT, the R4iTT2 (the black one), but nobody that has this flashcard answered to this topic yet.

But the R4iTT is a DSTT clone too, so maybe it will work on some another exotic clone. Didn't hurt to try, and if you can get it working just let me know. Remember to change the "r4.dat" file to match your flashcard.

I prefer to modify the firmware by myself. Can't really trust on some stranger, you know.
Ok, just follow this tutorial. It works on all versions until now, but keep in mind that there are some issues with the latest version (1.34).
As many of you know, R4iTT is just yet another cheap copy of DSTTi. The official firmware is crappy: it doesn't run Pokémon B/W and other heavily copy-protected games without patching, the UI is the ugliest I ever seen (let's not forget the lame background sound) and there is that Wi-Fi mode that I just don't know what it does. I was pretty happy with RetroFanGame firmware (great work BTW), but the YSmenu is ugly too and didn't have as many options as AKAIO/Wood. So I was messing with Wood firmware and Wood4TT (that already works on R4iTT) and finally get the lastest Wood's 1.33 firmware running on this flashcard, as you can see on this photo:

How to get R4iTT to load Wood
As many of you know, R4's _DS_MENU.DAT is actually just a normal .nds encrypted file (http://gbatemp.net/t269241-wood-r4-nds-fil...oad-wood-r4-ck3). Thanks to the great Yasu, nowadays is very easy to encrypted or decrypted this file. And apparently, the R4iTT just search for a "R4.DAT" file, that is essentially a normal .nds file with another name
tongue.gif
. So it's very easy:

1) Let's download the latest Wood version (at least until today it's 1.33: http://filetrip.net/f25629-Wood-R4-1-33.html).
2) Download the r4denc too (Yasu doesn't like hotlinking or mirrors, so just go to his website and search for "r4denc": http://home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/index_en.html).
3) Decompress everything to a temporary folder.
P.S.: I was actually using Linux, but the Yasu did include the source code for r4denc and it's very easy to compile using gcc ("gcc -o r4denc r4denc.cpp").
4) Open command line (on Windows press "Win+R" and type "cmd" without quotes) and go to the temporary folder you just created.
5) Execute "r4denc.exe _DS_MENU.DAT", now you will create another file ("_DS_MENU.DAT.DEC").
6) Rename this new file ("_DS_MENU.DAT.DEC") to "R4.DAT" (CAUTION: Windows by default hidden the file extension. Be careful to not create a "R4.DAT.DEC" by mistake!!!).

Ok, that's it. Now you just have to put this newly created "R4.DAT" and the rest of Wood's firmware ("__rpg") on the root of your SD card and you're ready to go. But you will have two problems...

Fixing problems
This part is not essential since it's pretty more complicated and the only thing you lose by not doing this is the soft reset and theme change (the theme will change but you will have to manually reset your DS), but since I have a Nintendo 3DS and the boot is really slow I will show how to fix these issues. Thanks for animex2k9 for the hint (http://gbatemp.net/t281585-wood4tt-theme-changing-fix).

1) You will need a hex editor. Anyone with a pretty decent search engine will do. I used hexeditor for Linux. For Windows I think the freeware HexEdit (http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~prewett/hexedit/) will do the job.
2) Open your "R4.DAT" file that you created with the r4denc.
3) Now using "ASCII search", search for this pattern: /_DS_MENU.DAT.
P.S.: hexeditor's search is CASE SENSITIVE, and there is sometimes Wood used "/_ds_menu.dat" instead of ALL CAPS. If your hex editor are the same, remember to search for this pattern too.
4) Just change everything you found to "/R4.DAT". Remeber to "00" (NULL) the characters that aren't used.
5) Save your modifications and enjoy your 100%(?) functional Wood firmware.

I don't know if this is a problem too (didn't test before), but I changed the auto-dldi patch file too.
1) Download the lasted R4iTT firmware (http://www.r4itt.net/?c=gamekernel).
2) Decompress the file, and copy the "/SYSTEM/dldi.dat" to some safe place.
3) Rename this file to "r4_sd.dldi".
4) Substitute the "/__rpg/r4_sd.dldi" file to that one.
P.S.: you can hexedit the "R4.DAT" too and change this for a more appropriate name (like "tt_sd.dldi" as on Wood4TT), but I just didn't bother to try.

I tested some clean (trimmed) roms: Pokémon White (E) and Sonic Classic Collection (U). Tested one homebrew too (Lameboy v0.12) just to check auto-DLDI and everything worked as should on my 3DS 2.10-3U (using latest R4iTT kernel for 3DS). Soft reset and theme changing both worked flawlessy too. Tried usrcheat.dat from GBATemp Database (http://cheats.gbatemp.net/), working as expected. It may work on other DSTT clones too, but I really don't know, since I'm just a curious person and not a developer and I have just this piece of hardware to test. But I will try to answer any question that come, unless they're plain stupid.

Happy hacking
yaynds.gif
You just did the same thing everyone would do. Pretty lame.
Yeah, I know, but why it worked on this flashcard specific is a mystery for everyone. And I don't know any other report before mine of Wood working on R4iTT (except the Wood4TT, that is heavily modified and pretty old). Still, it's nice to see the latest Wood running on this (crappy) flashcard.

One thing I want to make clean: this is only for users that already owns this thing. I don't recommend anyone to buy this flashcard and since I'm not a developer, if Wood changes something on his firmware that break this method I will probably not update this firmware anymore.

Known Issues (excepting upstream bugs)
1.35v2
-Blank screen when you try to load any game. The party is over, I guess.

-Soft-reset didn't work.

-No known issues.

Reactions: some1ne

m45t3r

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Pong20302000 said:
worth a look into

you can post the firmware i believe

no one seems to bother with Yasu
as his updates have stopped
Ok, this is just the R4.DAT, the rest you can grab from Wood's official package: http://www.multiupload.com/5WJAQKYGOP

But I still prefer to share the knowledge, so anyone can create a modified launcher after this (and saves my time anyway).

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not a surprise to me to see this crappy r4itt running wood 1.33.
I saw a firmware update on the r4ids.cc a couple of months ago allowing you to run directly wood r4 kernel on it.
The r4itt is almost the same crappy clone.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The DSTTi does not have r4 commands in its firmware.
I doubt they succeed to run wood r4 1.33 kernel without updating the DSTTi firmware.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me, or did the OP do pretty much the exact same thing as practically everyone else did before they noticed that something failed when using WoodR4 on their clone? The only REAL difference is that there is the extra bits with softresetting that none of those other people seemed to care about and the dldi that nobody cared about because they were all bent on getting the commercial ROMs to work (you would have to be really dim if you saw that dldi file and not think to change it ._.).

Oh right, just because the commercial ROMs run, doesn't mean that it is working. A couple of clones have had the ability to get WoodR4 to rum commercial ROMs, it's the other game-breaking stuff that stops them from using it.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
master00d said:
im sorry to ask this
but this guide will work for r4 III revolution as the r4III needs a file called R4_III.dat that may be similar to the file R4.DAT?

no idea work on this list as a principle

no clue what card you have

CODENatively Working (Replaces ORIGINAL Firmware) :
DSTTi Gold - www.ndstti.cn -> Just copy files (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
DSTT-Advance - www.dstt-adv.com -> Just copy files (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4Top Revolution - www.r4top.com -> Just copy files (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4iTT - www.r4itt.net -> Rename TTMenu.dat to r4.dat (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4i V1.45 Revolution - www.ndsiLL.net -> Rename TTMenu.dat to iLL.iL (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4i SDHC Upgrade Revolution - r4i-sdhc.com.tw -> Rename TTMenu.dat to iLL.iL (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4i Gold Upgrade Revolution v1.4.1 - www.r4igold.cn - > Rename TTMenu.dat to iLL.iL (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4i Gold Upgrade Revolution v1.14b - www.r4igold.cn - > Rename 1 copy of TTMenu.dat to R4i.dat (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4i SDHC Upgrade Revolution - r4i-dshc.com -> Rename TTMenu.dat to R4i.TP (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4i King LL - www.r4-king.com -> Rename TTMenu.dat to R4KING (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4i DSi XL - www.r4i-ndsill.com -> Rename 2 copies of TTMenu.dat to iLL.iL and R4i.TP (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4V-R4i v2.2 and v2.5 - www.r4-v.com -> Rename 2 copies of TTMenu.dat to iLL.iL and R4i.TP (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4 Deluxe v1.20 - www.r4deluxe.com -> Rename TTMenu.dat to _DS_MENU.DAT and then DLDI patch _DS_MENU.DAT (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4IIISDHC v3.07 - www.r4iiisdhc.com -> Rename TTMenu.dat to R4.dat (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4i-SDHC 1.41 and v1.42 - www.r4ll-net.com -> Just copyfolder (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4SDHC v1.34 - www.r4sdhc.com -> Just copy files (Use R4SDHC folder)
M3Real/M3Simply/M3iZero - www.m3adapter.com -> Just copy files (Use M3Real_M3iZero folder)

Working as Dual Boot (Keep your ORIGINAL Firmware) :
TTi Upgrade Revolution - www.nds-tti.com -> Rename TTMenu.dat to YSMenu.nds (Use DSTT_DSTTi folder)
R4 SDHC Upgrade Revolution - www.r4i-sdhc.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4i SDHC Upgrade Revolution - www.r4i-sdhc.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
Supercard DSONE - eng.supercard.sc (Use DSONE_DSONEi folder)
Supercard DSONEi - eng.supercard.sc (Use DSONE_DSONEi folder)
R4Top Revolution - www.r4top.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4i SDHC Upgrade Revolution - www.r4i-sdhc.com.tw (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4i SDHC Upgrade Revolution - www.R4i-dshc.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4DSiXL3D - www.r4dsixl3d.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4i Advance v2.0 - www.r4i-advance.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4-IIIi v4.03 and v4.04 - www.r4dsl.net (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4i SDHC Revolution v2.07 - www.r4sdhc.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4i SDHC Revolution - www.r4i.cn (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4v-r4i using v1.46 (red PCB, 1.4 'new' sticker) (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4v-r4i using v1.41 (red PCB, 1.4 with sticker) (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4 Pocket - www.r4ipocket.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4i Pocket - www.r4ipocket.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4i3D - www.r4i3D.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4i-Gold - www.r4i-gold.eu (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4i-Gold - www.r4i-gold.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4iSDHC Revolution - www.r4ita.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4xDS - www.r4xds.com (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC folder)
R4-III Upgrade Revolution - www.r4iiinew.com (Use R4_Clone folder)
R4i-SDHC Revolution - www.r4-pro.com (Use R4_Clone folder)
R4-III Revolution Upgrade - www.r4dsl.net (Use R4_Clone folder)
N5/i - www.dsn5.com (Use R4_Clone folder)
R4iNDSiXL - http://r4indsill.com (Use R4_Clone folder)

bottom half of list means change r4.dat to NDS and try and boot it like a game

top half means rename it to whatever you current firmware boot DAT is

m45t3r

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
jurassicplayer said:
Is it just me, or did the OP do pretty much the exact same thing as practically everyone else did before they noticed that something failed when using WoodR4 on their clone? The only REAL difference is that there is the extra bits with softresetting that none of those other people seemed to care about and the dldi that nobody cared about because they were all bent on getting the commercial ROMs to work (you would have to be really dim if you saw that dldi file and not think to change it ._.).

Oh right, just because the commercial ROMs run, doesn't mean that it is working. A couple of clones have had the ability to get WoodR4 to rum commercial ROMs, it's the other game-breaking stuff that stops them from using it.
Say something that would not work and I'll test, since I'm testing this thing for almost 4 hours and I didn't had any issues yet (and yeah, I tried pretty everything I could think that would break). Even Pokémon White (unpatched) that it's a pretty difficult game to run right it's working flawlessy.

And hell yeah, I know that just everybody already tried this on DSTT, but I just couldn't stop my curiosity and try on this (cheap and crappy) clone. And I got some interesting results that I thought it would be nice to report. But if it doesn't matter to you, why bother to post?

P.S.: just had some fun on Mario Kart DS(U), using cheats. Until now, no problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto