Hacking R4i SDHC Firmware - Need Help!

jesstheninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I am new to posting, but have been getting help from gbatemp for years just from reading! So here I am finally posting with a problem and I have high hopes that some friendly person will be able to assist me. (:

The first card I ever used was an R4, then one day upgraded to an Acekard and absolutely loved it. Sadly the Acekard team seems dead now and my old one won't work on my 3DS. So I decided on getting a new R4 (without doing a ton of research first...). I believe I saw a post here on gbatemp about a website they trusted to sell me an R4, so I am confident in my purchase, but... I am having an issue with the firmware.

It works just fine, I have been playing all sorts of games on it now, but I just can't stand the menu! The skinning customization is amazing (I can change all the colors while using the 3DS!), but everything else about it totally sucks!! It loads slow, it scrolls slowly, when I scroll down the cheatcode list it reloads every single word on the screen!!! X_X TOO SLOW! I can't do it! Furthermore, I can't use any skins from the theme website I frequent because they are all for a different R4. Honestly, I would really prefer the sleek Acekard skins. So I am attempting to get my R4 to behave like an Acekard OR in the very least like a normal R4.

Now for the much needed specs. I am using an R4i RTS 3DS with the website r4i-sdhc.com printed on the sticker. As previously stated, the kernel from that website is running fine and I am trying multiple games. The menus are just painfully slow.

I have tried the Wood R4 kernel from r4ids.cn to no avail. All I am getting is a "? menu" message. I've read about YSmenu but know nothing about it, let alone how to begin trying it out. Short of trying every single kernel known to man I have decided to start a thread seeking help for the sake of my sanity!!

I am open to PMing and IMing if it would be easier. Thank you for your time!

jesstheninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hacked or outdated Wood? If so then I shouldn't be the only person having this problem.
I found this page http://gbatemp.net/dynamic/nds-card-com-gbatemp-trusted-reseller.91/ and that is where I purchased my card from. I am using the current kernel and firmware from the website on the card.

I went ahead and tried out YSMenu and it appears it is not what I am looking for. I turn on my card and... it is still this piece of crap Firmware. Then I see there is a "YSMenu" ds game, so I turn that on. Sure, it looks like my old R4, but I have to manually do it? I would like to think there is a way to set it to auto-launch YSMenu, but since I can't find the option I don't think it's possible.

For the record I am not having a kernel issue. The card and games all run fine, I just can't get another firmware to work. So, if nobody can help me then it looks like I actually should have bought the R4i Gold and I'm about to spend more money.... :\

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: And that game stick i'm tired of mentioning