XP
Country
United States
yabba1972 said:
I know there cheap cards but they should still work
Welcome, newbie.
tongue.gif

Let me give you a timeline.
[*]DS games released.[*]Flash carts released.[*]DS games released with AP (Anti-Piracy), which is a general term for "special programming that makes them not run on flash carts".[*]Flash carts get a software/firmware update to bypass the AP of newer games.[*]DS games released with new/different AP.[*]Flash carts get a software/firmware update to bypass the AP of those newer games.[*]DS games released with new/different AP.[*]Flash carts get a software/firmware update to bypass the AP of those newer games.[*]DS games released with new/different AP.And repeat on and on and on.

So if the cart you have does not have proper updates, recent games will not run. Doesn't matter the price of the card, doesn't matter how cool it looks, doesn't matter how professional the site looks, if there's no recent software/firmware updates then it will not play recent games.

So, here's what to do, in order of ease.
[*]Check the site for updates. If there's one, download the latest onto your card and hope it plays the games.[*]If your cart hasn't been updated in ages (some haven't in years and some just fake update dates to make you THINK they fixed games when they didn't), then seek out a replacement firmware. The only "universal" firmware is YSmenu, you have to do some work to get it working, and it's not very good anymore (hasn't been updated in ages either), so this is uncommon for many R4 clones. The better alternate is Wood (it's great and constantly updated and plays all the latest games), but it doesn't run on knockoffs (which you bought two of, it seems).[*]Buy a flash cart that doesn't suck. This is quite often what people who buy knockoffs have to do nowadays, because pretty much any "R4" other than a small select few... suck.
You have three choices for carts that have proper support/updates.
[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i", NOT "R4 Gold", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution".
  • Price: $6 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Can use Wood R4, giving it compatibility with modern games.
  • Disadvantages: No DSi support, limited to memory cards 2GB and lower, no special features.
  • Rank: The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play some games on a DS/Lite.
[*]Acekard 2i
  • Price: $15 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Can use AKAIO, giving it compatibility with modern games. Can update itself and cheats over wifi, supports the DSi/XL, and supports memory cards up to 32GB.
  • Disadvantages: Can't do any of the special stuff the DSTwo can.
  • Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.
[*]Supercard DSTwo
  • Price: $35 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Supports the DSi/XL, can update itself even if the DSi won't run it, supports memory cards up to 32GB, real-time save (save states), in-game guide (show text and images from walkthroughs without having to reset the game), "free cheat" which lets you modify memory while the game is running, GBA and SNES emulator, slow motion, and more.
  • Disadvantages: The onboard processor and such means it eats into your battery life a bit.

yabba1972

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
yabba1972 said:
I know there cheap cards but they should still work
Welcome, newbie.
tongue.gif

Let me give you a timeline.[*]DS games released.[*]Flash carts released.[*]DS games released with AP (Anti-Piracy), which is a general term for "special programming that makes them not run on flash carts".[*]Flash carts get a software/firmware update to bypass the AP of newer games.[*]DS games released with new/different AP.[*]Flash carts get a software/firmware update to bypass the AP of those newer games.[*]DS games released with new/different AP.[*]Flash carts get a software/firmware update to bypass the AP of those newer games.[*]DS games released with new/different AP.And repeat on and on and on.

So if the cart you have does not have proper updates, recent games will not run. Doesn't matter the price of the card, doesn't matter how cool it looks, doesn't matter how professional the site looks, if there's no recent software/firmware updates then it will not play recent games.

So, here's what to do, in order of ease.[*]Check the site for updates. If there's one, download the latest onto your card and hope it plays the games.[*]If your cart hasn't been updated in ages (some haven't in years and some just fake update dates to make you THINK they fixed games when they didn't), then seek out a replacement firmware. The only "universal" firmware is YSmenu, you have to do some work to get it working, and it's not very good anymore (hasn't been updated in ages either), so this is uncommon for many R4 clones. The better alternate is Wood (it's great and constantly updated and plays all the latest games), but it doesn't run on knockoffs (which you bought two of, it seems).[*]Buy a flash cart that doesn't suck. This is quite often what people who buy knockoffs have to do nowadays, because pretty much any "R4" other than a small select few... suck.You have three choices for carts that have proper support/updates.[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i", NOT "R4 Gold", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution".
  • Price: $6 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Can use Wood R4, giving it compatibility with modern games.
  • Disadvantages: No DSi support, limited to memory cards 2GB and lower, no special features.
  • Rank: The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play some games on a DS/Lite.
[*]Acekard 2i
  • Price: $15 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Can use AKAIO, giving it compatibility with modern games. Can update itself and cheats over wifi, supports the DSi/XL, and supports memory cards up to 32GB.
  • Disadvantages: Can't do any of the special stuff the DSTwo can.
  • Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.
[*]Supercard DSTwo
  • Price: $35 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Supports the DSi/XL, can update itself even if the DSi won't run it, supports memory cards up to 32GB, real-time save (save states), in-game guide (show text and images from walkthroughs without having to reset the game), "free cheat" which lets you modify memory while the game is running, GBA and SNES emulator, slow motion, and more.
  • Disadvantages: The onboard processor and such means it eats into your battery life a bit.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply would the Acekard 2i $15.00 also work on the original DS as well as the DSi

yabba1972

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
RoMee said:
short answer..yes, games does work on those carts, just not all of them
could have avoided the headache and get a decent cart

Tottaly agree mate thats why I asked you guys

what card would you recomend then and where would you get it

thanks

yabba1972

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Yes, the Acekard 2i will work just fine on an original DS or DS Lite as well.

I will go for a couple of them then mate '
cheers

last question its says below on the site anything to worry about

PLEASE NOTE: While the Acekard 2i is compatible with the DSi and DSi XL (1.4 firmware and above), the cart may need to be patched with firmware update that enables this compatibility. You will need a regular Nintendo DS or DS Lite to perform this update, or alternatively we can do it if you choose the Premium Flashing Service.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If your DSi or DSi XL is on firmware 1.4 or 1.4.1 (most are), then you need the acekard updated before it'll work. The problem is you can't run it until it updates, but you need to run it to update... so you'd need to run the update on a DS or DS Lite first. I didn't mention this because you asked if it'd work on a DS/Lite already, so I assumed you actually had one (or wouldn't have bothered asking).

Like they say, you can pay for a flashing service and they'll update it for you before shipping it to you.

yabba1972

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
If your DSi or DSi XL is on firmware 1.4 or 1.4.1 (most are), then you need the acekard updated before it'll work. The problem is you can't run it until it updates, but you need to run it to update... so you'd need to run the update on a DS or DS Lite first. I didn't mention this because you asked if it'd work on a DS/Lite already, so I assumed you actually had one (or wouldn't have bothered asking).

Like they say, you can pay for a flashing service and they'll update it for you before shipping it to you.

your a great help mate is there a tutorial for updating it yourself then

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy