R4i 3DS Gold setup question

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by neko_koneko, May 2, 2013.

1. neko_koneko
    OP

neko_koneko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2011
    United States
    I`m just about done with the setup of my new r4i 3ds gold rts flash cart, but I don't know whether or not to put a patch on the cart. I went to www.r4ids.cn, downloaded the newest WOOD R4 V1.58 Kernel, extracted all the files into the root of my sd, and now I have the new patch 3DS V4.5.0-10 & DSi V1.45 sitting on my desktop. Is this the right patch if I want to start the cart in my 3DS (firmware Ver. 5.1.0-11) first rather than going through a DS Lite etc.? What should I do next?

Sorry for the stupid question, I have been trying to find some tutorials that make everything clear, but can`t seem to find anything about this so far.

Anyway, thanks in advance:)

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
  3. neko_koneko
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2011
    United States
    thanks for the link. but, i have read that several times over and still don't know what to do exactly. I'll go ahead and try to use the patch I downloaded and put it in my 3DS...

4. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    If the 3DS has blocked the cart, you can't run the patch (because you can't run the cart).

It's a chicken and the egg scenario. If you do need to update, you will need another DS to do it on.

5. neko_koneko
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2011
    United States
    I have a DS Lite to go through first. But, what I want to know is if the patch I have is what I need to put on my cart. And, is it okay with the 3DS firmware I currently have, the WOOD kernel I downloaded etc. I haven't tried the cart on the 3DS yet by the way...

6. neko_koneko
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2011
    United States
    Thank you so much for the information:lol: I will try these things out.

7. tranfeer

tranfeer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 23, 2010
    Australia
    There is no need to update your r4i gold 3ds firstly.
    Just unzip wood r4 v1.58 to the root directory of your tf card.
    That's all.

8. neko_koneko
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2011
    United States
    OK:) It seems that the flash cart is up and running in my 3DS without the patch. When I put the cart in, I saw an icon named, DORASU on the home menu, so I selected that, and it took me into the r4 menu where I saw favorites and my micro sd etc. Does this sound correct?

9. neko_koneko
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2011
    United States
    Cool:lol:Thanks again!