Minox

Thanks for the fish
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No offence, it's a good cart, but it feels really outdated so what are your opinions?

DarkWing

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just recently got my R4 and don't see how have been without it .. Just cause it is older than the others doesn't mean its obsolete just yet... Never know might be able to push it even further have to wait and see.. But yes lately it has gone up in price drastically lately since I bought mine..

Dw

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't find any reason to ditch my working R4 and get a new flashcart.
Genshijin doesn't work on R4, but that's pretty much the only game I want to play but doesn't run on R4.

Would I recommend anyone to buy a brand new R4 at this point? Probably not, unless it's A LOT cheaper.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It really depends on what you mean by dead. They still release updates when major games (and only major games) don't work, but they haven't improved the feature set in a long time. I don't expect this to change until they stop supporting the cart altogether. They don't need features, the R4 name sells itself.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've bought some of the new flashcarts, but so far I think that Scds1 is the best (although mine doesn't have Sdhc-support).

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I haven't really been keeping up with new flashcarts and such, what "advanced features" have been implemented to make the r4 seem old?
I'm pretty happy with mine, does what it's meant to.

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4DS does what the primary function of all flash carts does...Plays DS Roms. Period, and don't gimme this "we only use it for homebrew"...Bullsnot! Everyone knows why we use flash carts 99% of the time, to play DS roms. So R4 does its job and does it well. end of story

Minox

Thanks for the fish
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
gblock247 said:
R4DS does what the primary function of all flash carts does...Plays DS Roms. Period, and don't gimme this "we only use it for homebrew"...Bullsnot! Everyone knows why we use flash carts 99% of the time, to play DS roms. So R4 does its job and does it well. end of story
Flashcarts are indeed primarily used for playing roms, but homebrews are a nice too.

skarthebloodchild

Keep It Old School
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I still enjoy R4 because i can play every single rom i like.
Sdhc is not a problem for me and so i think i will move to another brand only when my 2 r4 will be dead.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Every new budget flashcart that comes out does at minimum everything the R4 does plus support SDHC, and at a lower price. Does that mean the R4 sucks as a flashcart? I don't think so, but if I had to replace my flashcart I wouldn't choose an R4.

I don't think most of the bells and whistles on carts like the Cyclo Evo are particularly important. Real time saving sounds neat, but the only DS game I can think of that it would be particularly useful on is NSMB. In game guides? Again, neat, but I don't see myself ever using it. I don't use cheats, so I don't need an in game menu to turn them on and off.

The only features I want that the R4 doesn't provide are in game brightness adjustment without using cheats and SDHC support.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm still use and love my R4. it does exactly what I expect it to do and loads fast. the interface may be simple, but it's clean and easy to use.

to be honest, I've yet to see worthwhile new functionality in any of the newer flash carts that would make me want to ditch my tried and trusted R4.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Dead and outdated mean two different things...
Well, I'd say it's not really outdated, but the R4 team is most likely near dead - can Wii connectivity be such a difficult task?
There's no good reason to switch to a different cart if you have a working R4. New flashcart users shouldn't get an R4 though.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
R4 dead?! the 2 i have have performed perfectly for months... i dont need every ROM at once so SDHC support doesn't matter. to me R4 is superb and has lots of life left.

Kaan

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ive got a better question:
what is it that you additionally want from the r4?

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
the R4 is awesome. i don't need real time saving and i don't see any need for it whatsoever. i don't need sdhc support because my 2gb stick is WAY more than enough. i have like 13 games on it, 80songs, and like 5 or 6 episodes at a time of anime, wat more can i ask for?

i haven't had any problems with any games, or homebrews (except with occasionally ones i need to patch). luckily, i got mine over a year ago when it was decently priced (for $60 CAD).

what would i do if my r4 broke now...? hmm well i'm going to uni soon, so i'll prob just give up my ds anyways.

ismaboof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the r4 does everything I want it to do, and very well at that. Why would you need bigger than 2 GB of memory anyway? How many games can you really play at once?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If I had an 8GB memory card I could probably put every game for every system that can be emulated on the DS on it. Thousands of games. I already have several hundred games on my 2GB card.

You have to keep in mind that different people have different needs. Someone might want to put a bunch of videos & music on their kid's DS to keep them happy on a long car or plane trip for example, and that's not really a situation where they would want to risk losing a microSD card by having their kid swap it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol