ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's not dead, but it's just outdated, and very pricy.

The only reason why it's still alive, is because it has a well known reputation. a while back, it was once called "the best flashkart", and most of consumers still think it's the best, and just chooses it without hesitation, or doing any research of their own. Think of Ipods for example.

Also, each person has different needs, so just because you think 2 gigs are enough, it might not be that way for some others. Even if you don't think SDHC is nessesary, there are a vast majority of members on this site that uses a SDHC cards instead of an ordinary SD.

EDIT: The last paragraph I've wrote is already explained by Destructobot.....

BurlyEd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Getting less pricey: $52.98 incl shipping in US.

http://www.nxpgame.com/product/855b701b-b8...0e040f27f0.aspx

grog.gif
lecture.gif

Ice Cold

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
stormwolf18 said:
the Ds gaming scene is quite dead altough and it wont get better.

Agreed. Nintendo hasn't brought out any hot releases to the table these days...

Well, r4 is a nice cart, but they're becoming outdated. It's just that so many people have them that it'll be a while before they switch to something newer. They might even not get anything newer. I can't see the r4 scene being dead for a while. Although I have a TT, I can say r4 is good too.

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
Like i said in the last thread, As long as the R4 works for me and can play most roms, It doesnt matter.. I dont really need any of the features on these new flashcarts.. The whole point of the card is to play roms, not use all these fancy features and cut back on the rom compatibility.. Like i said, I just want one that plays games, nothing else!!
biggrin.gif

genuisgeek

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I DONT BELIEVE ITS DEAD SINCE PROB MOST PPL I KNOW HAVE R4
i tell them i have a DSTT and they're like a DS-wahhhh

but theres onyl two things lacking in the R4 its non-touchy GUI(i like to use a touch screen)
and SDHC
other than that its still a good cart

Fieryshadowz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
genuisgeek said:
I DONT BELIEVE ITS DEAD SINCE PROB MOST PPL I KNOW HAVE R4
i tell them i have a DSTT and they're like a DS-wahhhh

but theres onyl two things lacking in the R4 its non-touchy GUI(i like to use a touch screen)
and SDHC
other than that its still a good cart
Because the majority of the people don't know what else is out there and only heard of R4 so that's what they get. I have a friend that spent 60 dollars on a Supercard when he could have gotten a CycloDS for a little bit more (He didn't care about price.)

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I just need something to keep me busy when im bored...and when the R4 was still new i got it, and it cured that boredom, and it still does...as long as it does that, and works...im good.
yaynds.gif
grog.gif

*but if something drastic happens...EDGE here i come!
rofl2.gif
(hope it doesnt come to that though...)

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It is not dying, apart of your dictionary's definition of "dead", the team still updates the firmware, and R4 thread is still good, which is proven by the fact you've started this thread
laugh.gif

Just kidding, yeah, R4 is good, and like I said it's still updated (but the features are out-dated). It works fine, and R4 users haven't complained their cart is freezing, yet.

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
my r4 could do anything i wanted it to do, but now that it broke down i got an acekard.
r4 is not exactly on top of things, but still a good cart!

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think you guys even know what half the terms mean you're slinging around
wink.gif

the only major thing the R4 is missing is SDHC support

touch screen menu isn't a functional thing that's missing, just a stylistic choice (I much prefer non-touch screen actually)

are there new carts out that have a some minor differences? sure

do they do the core function of the cart better? no

roms still play
homebrew still plays
it'll play music/video/etc etc

if there comes a day when moonshell v2.0 comes out and the r4 is incapable of running it, then sure, call it outdated

but since it'll do everything the same as every other card, other than support SDHC, it's no where near dead

TaintedWisdom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being that I own an R4 (and never had a problem) I'm a bit concerned that they would one day stop the firmware/kernal updates.
Any talk of this happening soon?

Lastly, could you guys tell me whats the best cart out there which replaces the R4 (if there more than one option could you tell me the: 1)Best regardless of price
2)Best, considering price

Thank you.

-TW

Ad_Enuff

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As a cart that simply plays roms, has almost perfect download play and DLDI home-brew ability, what R4 does, it does well.

If you were to compare it to other carts that have come onto the market recently on the other hand, you can't help realising the R4 has lost some of it's appeal.

However, its important to realise this mainly down to one main factor SDHC hardware support or rather lack of due to hardware limitations.

Personally, I am very happy with my R4 as it is for the moment at least. Higher capacity cards such as SDHC are very appealing, but for other features listed by other cards, don't worry me in the slightest.

With E3 2008 coming up soon and with the alleged rumour of a new DS being shown, if I was Team R4, I'd be developing a new R4 with that in the back of my mind...maybe the new DS will have a new protection that will get around the R4 type flash carts? Who knows.....maybe waiting a while longer may turn out to be prudent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.