OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
tagzard.tk
XP
Country
United States
Well i got a r4 from realhotstuff and it might be a clone. The plastic cover says it was made from r4ds.com. But it still works with wood 1.30 so im good.
Oh ya almost forgot.
I LOVE THE R4!!!

Generation 16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a 1:1 clone, a clone that is the exact same thing as a R4 just the except the cartridge is different. It has the same stuff on it that the R4 has, meaning it can run everything it can, including the official firmware. The original R4 hasn't been made by the official R4DS team since around 2008, IIRC.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
Sausage Head said:
and what the fuck was the point of this thread?

I never thought I'd say it, But I agree with Sausage Head.

Of course it's a clone. They all are these days.
Not all of them. I have heard many reviews of sellers, and quite a few sell genuine R4s. Zhuzhuchina is one of them that gets the most positive reviews, and the one from that store I'm 99% sure is original.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii said:
Schizoanalysis said:
Sausage Head said:

Not all of them. I have heard many reviews of sellers, and quite a few sell genuine R4s. Zhuzhuchina is one of them that gets the most positive reviews, and the one from that store I'm 99% sure is original.

The R4 team disappeared around 4 years ago.
No cards that are being made today are by the "genuine" R4 Team. They can't be, as they don't exist!
They are made by other teams who may call themselves "genuine", but they are not the "genuine" (ie. First, Original) R4 Team.

EDIT -- Bottom line: any claims of R4 genuineness are lies told to sell more cards.

Trophies
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
Schizoanalysis said:
Sausage Head said:

No cards that are being made today are by the "genuine" R4 Team. They can't be, as they don't exist!
They are made by other teams who may call themselves "genuine", but they are not the "genuine" (ie. First, Original) R4 Team.

EDIT -- Bottom line: any claims of R4 genuineness are lies told to sell more cards.
Although it was only 3 years ago, and I sort of agree with you, there were probably millions made and not sold. Also although the team broke up, they may have been made for the R4 team by another company, which means they could still be being made.

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
Schizoanalysis said:
Sausage Head said:

Although it was only 3 years ago, and I sort of agree with you, there were probably millions made and not sold. Also although the team broke up, they may have been made for the R4 team by another company, which means they could still be being made.

I doubt it -- to keep 3 year old stock requires a lot of space and money. I doubt many can do this.

Also, I seem to remember supply difficulties before they disappeared -- I don't think they had a warehouse of millions of cards, as some retailers struggled to get cards from them!

Trophies
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
Schizoanalysis said:
Schizoanalysis said:
Sausage Head said:

I doubt it -- to keep 3 year old stock requires a lot of space and money. I doubt many can do this.

Also, I seem to remember supply difficulties before they disappeared -- I don't think they had a warehouse of millions of cards, as some retailers struggled to get cards from them!
Well I suppose, but I'm still pretty sure some retailers sell genuine copies.

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
Schizoanalysis said:
Schizoanalysis said:
Sausage Head said:

Genuine copies?
What is that? A copy of the genuine?

Trophies
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
Schizoanalysis said:
Schizoanalysis said:
Schizoanalysis said:
Sausage Head said:

Genuine copies?
What is that? A copy of the genuine?
Sorry, worded it wrong, I mean genuine cards from the original team. I mean the ones I'm talking about run the original 1.18 firmware, and wood 1.30, so I'm convinced they are real.

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe the OP can tell how the card was packaged.

The original came in a sort of green like box but I think a 1:1 clone is just in a small plastic package (at least the ones I've seen). No box an no light blue game-card container. Just the card and a simple USB SD card device. If this came in such a package then it is a clone for sure.

But if it is a 1:1 clone with the same quality as the original R4 and runs Wood R4 fine then I would not be worried. Only remember to use 2 GB micro SD cards, not bigger since a 1:1 clone, like the original, can not handle SDHC.

Generation 16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
Those ones for sale now are 1:1 clones.
They are just the same as the old ones, just made by a different manufacturer.
Well I suppose, but they still would have to be bloody close!
Not just "close," as you put it, but the exact same thing. I don't know how they do it, they just manage to put the exact same thing, except just a different casing.
For example, the original R4 ONLY came in white, and they never planned on releasing different colors for the cartridge, IIRC.
The original team stop making them in 2007/08, IIRC. But other teams didn't. I beleive that's what other versions were based off, things like many of the different R4i's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, there wasnt even a conversation in place