Hacking Quick Question: Will we be able to preserve our exploited devices?

jailminer

Joel? Are you up at 6 AM making a Custom Title?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, on iOS, if some of you aren't familiar, there are these things called SHSH blobs, and what they do is they allow you to create an IPSW (restore file Apple uses, mainly for updates but not meant to be able to downgrade) bundled with the SHSH blob to downgrade to the iOS version you have the blob for. Is this possible with an IOSU exploit, or will it be possible? I know, yes, iOS and IOSU aren't the same and two separate genre of technology, but really. Thanks.

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought Apple closed that vulnerability a long time ago.

But I think it might be possible, just not in that way. Once we get access to the NAND, we'll be able to dump and restore it, and probably use emulated NAND to stay on the latest while retaining access to all the exploits.

For anyone that isn't aware: SHSH blobs are special characters that are signed for your specific device and specific firmware, issued every time that you update/restore. If you hack your device (jailbreak), you can dump the SHSH and later stitch it to a firmware file and install it through iTunes, even after Apple stops signing the firmwares. Last I heard, they closed this service (or at least closed the vulnerability that allowed you to downgrade) for newer devices. It's possible for old devices like the iPhone4 because of the limera1n hardware exploit.

Last edited by 7Robins,

jailminer

Joel? Are you up at 6 AM making a Custom Title?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought Apple closed that vulnerability a long time ago.

But I think it might be possible, just not in that way. Once we get access to the NAND, we'll be able to dump and restore it, and probably use emulated NAND to stay on the latest while retaining access to all the exploits.

For anyone that isn't aware: SHSH blobs are special characters that are signed for your specific device and specific firmware, issued every time that you update/restore. If you hack your device (jailbreak), you can dump the SHSH and later stitch it to a firmware file and install it through iTunes, even after Apple stops signing the firmwares. Last I heard, they closed this service (or at least closed the vulnerability that allowed you to downgrade) for newer devices. It's possible for old devices like the iPhone4 because of the limera1n hardware exploit.
It would be very cool! :)

Reactions: 7Robins

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER