• Views 512,496
  • Replies 3,809
  • Likes 6

jinx2131

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello everybody- Long time site user - first time poster!

I am having a problem getting Wiiflow to run. I can run it fine with my SD card, but I wanted to run it completely from my USB device (the USB device IS compatible, is FAT32 with 32cluster size etc... I have no problem running Wii backups and Gamecube Games on it through USB LOADER GX). So the harddrive is a 2TB and one large partition. It has a /games folder (for GC games) and a /WBFS folder (for wii backups). I was under the impression that I could just put in my /apps folder, same as it is on the SD card... and as I am typing this I realize I have never tried it without the SD card in the slot... I just TESTED it and it now reads it under the Homebrew Channel from the HDD.

Is it that simple (did I just answer my own question?) - the Wii will try to read from an SD card first and then go to the USB if it's in??

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Is it that simple (did I just answer my own question?) - the Wii will try to read from an SD card first and then go to the USB if it's in??
If you're using a forwarder channel, it has to search through the SD and USB drives to find the /apps/wiiflow/boot.dol file to run and because of how Wii stuff is programmed it's easier to start with the SD card and then go through all the HDD partitions in order so it'll probably pick up anything on SD first. Once WiiFlow starts, it also has to look for the wiiflow.ini settings file that tells it where all the rest of it's config files are. It's a similar process.

If you want to be able to leave the SD card in or just not have to worry about if there's a SD in the slot or not, just make sure the SD card has no wiiflow files on it.

Also, the HBC will just show apps in the last place it looked. It won't look for and change from USB to SD or visa versa unless there's nothing to show in the place it's currently set to. Now that you took out the SD and HBC had to look to the HDD for apps, it'll probably stay looking at USB drives no matter if there's a SD in or not UNTIL the day you decide to run HBC again and don't have a USB drive connected with apps on it (OR until you manually change the setting of where to look .. I think you press the 1 or 2 button to bring up the settings.)

BBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I don't know if this is the proper place to ask this but anyways I just got the USB loader up and running and downloaded a copy of SSBB but whenever I either beat the solo classic mode or finish the first battle in the subspace emissary the game just goes to a black screen and freezes. I downloaded n ISO file for it. I'm not really tech savvy so a friend has been helping me do this but he's stumped too. Does anyone know how to fix this or if it is fixable at all?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So I don't know if this is the proper place to ask this but anyways I just got the USB loader up and running and downloaded a copy of SSBB but whenever I either beat the solo classic mode or finish the first battle in the subspace emissary the game just goes to a black screen and freezes. I downloaded n ISO file for it. I'm not really tech savvy so a friend has been helping me do this but he's stumped too. Does anyone know how to fix this or if it is fixable at all?
There are copies of the game out there that have been modified (for example, removing all the videos to save space and fit it on a single density disk) ... or it could just be a bad rip / download / file copy / conversion / whatever.

I'd suggest checking the SHA1 of the disk image with Wii Backup Manager to see if the file is complete and unaltered.

Also, since it's a big game that's usually on a double density disk, it won't fit on FAT32 without splitting the image. I've heard every once in a while of someone having that cause problems. You can try defragging the drive or trying to have the image split in a different spot ( although perhaps complicated to do ) or switching to a file system like NTFS that allows large file sizes.

Reactions: BBlaze

BBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are copies of the game out there that have been modified (for example, removing all the videos to save space and fit it on a single density disk) ... or it could just be a bad rip / download / file copy / conversion / whatever.

I'd suggest checking the SHA1 of the disk image with Wii Backup Manager to see if the file is complete and unaltered.

Also, since it's a big game that's usually on a double density disk, it won't fit on FAT32 without splitting the image. I've heard every once in a while of someone having that cause problems. You can try defragging the drive or trying to have the image split in a different spot ( although perhaps complicated to do ) or switching to a file system like NTFS that allows large file sizes.

Thank you very much. I'll see what happens.

MarkoBrolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hey sorry to be that guy but I am really stuck with an issue that has me going bananas. I created a thread here:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/no-usb-drives-working-sd-card-working.350499/

Would extremely appreciate any help, I haven't had this wii too long but so far (apart from this experience trying to hack it) has been great and Im looking to get the best out of the system for what I have paid for it and its games so far. Thanks guys.

Elxar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I want to buy a hard disk for my Wii ad have some questions. is it better to have an external hard disk with its on Power Supply or just a external without one. If the former, then is WD Cavier Green a will be compatible for the wii? TIA.

KineticMods

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. Quick question, hopefully someone can help out. I just installed Dios Mios on my wii, and am using it with cfg USB loader. I formatted my hard drive so the first partition is fat32 with 32kb clusters and installed the games using the tool that comes with dios mios. The first game I booted up was tales of Symphonia, and it works perfectly. I can't get any other games to work though. I tried Summoner2, Wind Waker, Fore Emblem POR and Pokemon XD. All I get is a black screen, nothing else. Why would Tales work but no others? I used the latest Dios Mios, v2.10 and my cfg loader is also up to date, 70R51 I believe. I know my Hermes and d2x are old versions, but would that make a difference? Also, when I boot up cfg loader, it defaults to the ntfs partition even though the fat32 partition is first. Is it supposed to default to the fat32 partition?

Is Dios Mios the best way to load gc backups on the wii, or is Swiss? Or my Wiikey Fusion?

Thanks in advance for anyone with advice!

Kinetic

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having problems. Got a copy of Tales of Symphonia on hdd and SSBB. Tales doesn't load at all. Music and background plays on the title screen on the loader. And Brawl freezes after the Mario and Kirby fight on Subspace Emissary. Are they just bad dumps/copies? I tried the Wiiflow and CFG thing and the USB Loader GX. Sorry still working my way on wii hacking...

Dandy Lion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hiya! I just sprouted up here. :)

I'm running the latest DiosMios. My USB is FAT32, 32KB. I used GCIsoTool to "DiscEX" all three of my roms. (What does discEX do/mean?)

Mario Sunshine and Smash Bros Melee seem to work flawlessly.

Kirby's Air Ride, however, fails to load the "Stadium" at the conclusion of "City Trial" mode. This makes a third of the game unplayable, and some features permanently locked! This game was listed as having no problems on the compatibility list, so I'm assuming I did something wrong? It says it can't be compressed... is that what "DiscEX" does...? (I deleted my saves folder, and switched off NMM to no avail.)

Also, is there anything better than "Wii64" for N64 Emu? It seems to not be updated anymore...

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Hiya! I just sprouted up here. :)

I'm running the latest DiosMios. My USB is FAT32, 32KB. I used GCIsoTool to "DiscEX" all three of my roms. (What does discEX do/mean?)

Mario Sunshine and Smash Bros Melee seem to work flawlessly.

Kirby's Air Ride, however, fails to load the "Stadium" at the conclusion of "City Trial" mode. This makes a third of the game unplayable, and some features permanently locked! This game was listed as having no problems on the compatibility list, so I'm assuming I did something wrong? It says it can't be compressed... is that what "DiscEX" does...? (I deleted my saves folder, and switched off NMM to no avail.)

Also, is there anything better than "Wii64" for N64 Emu? It seems to not be updated anymore...
The short version of what DiscEX is in this context is that the disk image has extra garbage in it meant to push the real data to the end of the file where it's faster to read on a real disk and DiscEX takes that out to save space.
HOWEVER
There are games that doing that to them breaks them and Kirby's Air Ride is one of the 3 mentioned here
https://code.google.com/p/diosmios/wiki/GameIssues
(There might be others, though)
The most compatible option is the RAW option which basically just copies your disk image into a folder and renames it "game.iso" with no changes.

As for Wii64, it's original creators are taking a REALLY long time to do a BIG update that has to be done all at once so there's another guy making his own updates to it and calling it Not64
http://gbatemp.net/threads/not64-update.333569/
And it's actually a huge improvement over the currently available Wii64 for many games.

Reactions: Dandy Lion

Dandy Lion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! It works! Thanks a lot Maxternal!

I lurked here a while before I joined. You and Cyan have been a great help! (Is there a +rep option? EDIT: I hit like on your post. Anything else? :3)

Thanks for the Wii64 & Not64 info as well. I guess I'll keep an eye out as planned. Maybe those two groups should be introduced...?

rodan100919

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably a redundant question and I managed to look over something, but is there a way to play gamecube backups from an SD/USB and use a classic controller? I'm one of the unlucky people who got a blue wii and wanted to play his old gamecube games.

I heard that Devolution has support for wii controlers, but I'm not sure if that's a planned feature or finished.

Dandy Lion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably a redundant question and I managed to look over something, but is there a way to play gamecube backups from an SD/USB and use a classic controller? I'm one of the unlucky people who got a blue wii and wanted to play his old gamecube games.

I heard that Devolution has support for wii controlers, but I'm not sure if that's a planned feature or finished.

I'm no expert, but I believe not. Sorry Rodan:

http://code.google.com/p/diosmios/wiki/FAQ#Will_the_Wiimote/Classic_Controller_ever_be_supported?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Ninty can still make money filing false DMCAs.