Questions about modding my wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by nervx, Feb 16, 2009.

Feb 16, 2009

Questions about modding my wii by nervx at 10:14 AM (1,145 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. nervx
    OP

Member nervx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    With some good stuff on the way for wii i'm thinking it's time to get mine modded. Thing is i haven't been following the mod scene all that much lately and have some question:

1. is the wiikey2 + wii-clip the best option out there for a solderless mod? are there any games that dont work with this combo or any problems? i plan to only backup ntsc wii games.

2. if i dont care about home brew or pirating VC games doing system updates is safe correct?

3. drivekey sounds interesting but limiting the drive to 3x speeds has me unsure. what problems does this cause?
    is it possible that the 3x limit will be fixed via chip update or revision?

4. i remember reading something about a usb backup method where games are run off your computer to the wii. did this method turn out to be fake? if not are there any rumblings about a version that uses an external hard drive only?

thank in advance. more questions as i think of them.

2. mcjones92

Member mcjones92 Forest Fam

United States

3. madmods

Newcomer madmods Member

Canada
    We are tested that there is no difference between 3X and 6X when launching games as some may believe.

4. BMasterP

Member BMasterP GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands

3 if the drivekey at 3x speed works the same as a softmod(and i dunno if it does that for sure) the only thing you'll encounter is that in some games loading times are a bit longer(only in some games). for example in metroid prime 3 the doors will openup a bit slower than the original disc. but nothing to be really concerned about.
    one thing i've read is that at least one game(dunno its name but it's the one you are in the water looking at all the fish) will give problems when playing online against someone with the original and thus 6x speed it will lag or something.

5. nervx
    OP

Member nervx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    anyone else know anything about an external harddrive solution or if future drivekeys will support 6X?

6. Wilson735

Member Wilson735 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, technological advances are always being made, so I'm sure the next version of DriveKey (or the one after that) will have 6x read speeds. And yes, a Wii with hard drive does exist, it's been confirmed to be used by certain Canadian hospitals for the sick kiddos to play games. However, we still don't know exactly how they pulled it off.

7. Sir_Shaggy

Member Sir_Shaggy GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    1. I have the wiikey 2, installed it myself and it has worked great for me. I've only had minor problems trying to get SSBB to work.
    2. System updates are fine. I believe the latest firmware version is 3.4. If you want to play wiiware wads, you have to downgrade to 3.2 to install.
    3. When I first started burning backups, I tried the 3x speed on the config disk for the wiikey2. This was due to the disk not reading, so I tried the 3x speed. Some games did load with the 3x speed option but had sound issues. I found out that I wasn't burning the backups correctly at 4x burn ( I was burning at max speed ), once I reburnt the game it loaded and played great at 6x speed.
    4. I don't know. I think this is something new featured through Flatmii. There is a review of it on GBATemp.