War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I'm new to this softmodding thing... I used to have a Fat PS2 but was forced to give it away (long story). Anyway, I'm thinking of getting one and softmodding it, but I have a few questions...

-Will the soft mod work with the sexy Slim PS2?
-If I buy a memory card that has FMCB installed, is that really all I need?
-If I want to load backups, will I have to use the program called ESR?
Example:
-If yes to the above, do I have to patch the iso before burning it to a DVD?
-How does the HD Loader work? Does it work for Slim PS2s? Can I hook up an external HDD to the PS2 and play the games from there?

I think that's it for now, thanks!

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
War said:
I'm new to this softmodding thing... I used to have a Fat PS2 but was forced to give it away (long story). Anyway, I'm thinking of getting one and softmodding it, but I have a few questions...

-Will the soft mod work with the sexy Slim PS2?
-If I buy a memory card that has FMCB installed, is that really all I need?
-If I want to load backups, will I have to use the program called ESR?
Example:
-If yes to the above, do I have to patch the iso before burning it to a DVD?
-How does the HD Loader work? Does it work for Slim PS2s? Can I hook up an external HDD to the PS2 and play the games from there?

I think that's it for now, thanks!

1. Yes it will, I have a fat and a slim. (I think its only creating the FMCB memory card that requires a fat PS2 or a certain Action Replay)
2. Yes. I have that memory card and I can use it on ANY PS2 and load backups without any additional things.
3. Yes, ESR is what loads the backups.
4. Yes, I cant recall the program I use because I patch them using a Mac.
5 - Not sure.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Since you only need the answer to number 5 for a full set (The ISO patching app is in the main ESR topic linked to via Bootlegninja's guide):

5. HDLoader will only work with internal HDD's connected up to the PS2 via a Netowk Adapter (and therefore Chubby PS2 only). However, if you're prepared to take a major hit on compatibility and compromise smooth running (because the PS2 USB ports are 1.1 and not 2.0 and therefore this really screws up transfer speeds for games) then you can use USB Advance (NOT HD Advance!)to load games from an external drive hooked up via the USB ports. You'd need to format the USB drive you're intending on using and install games with the USB Advance software (not the HDLoader stuff), and then launch USBAdvance from Ulaunch (via FMCB).

However, it's next to worthless with ESR working fine for the Slim and only really viable if you're tolerant to poor compatibility and have a duff laser.

velocity37

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FMCB will definitely work on any slim that doesn't have a power supply built in. The ones with the power supply built-in (SCPH-9000X series) are very unlikely to work, but apparently older ones work.

And lastly, a proper HDD can be installed to a slim PS2 via the XCM HD Connect kit. You have to be super awesome at soldering if you're going to attempt to install it though.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Not just very unlikely to work....yes some people have said it works for them but with no conclusive proof i'm dubious to disregard what people like dlanor say. The old stype power block Slims work fine with FMCB.

HD-Combo
is also definitely an option for the Slim PS2 if you're keen on an internal HDD, although as pointed out unless you're confident with hardware it's a minefield and an above average install (which is kind of why i didn't mention it)

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Phat PS2 + Network Adapter + HD + HDLoader = win. (aka best solution)
Heh, in your WTB thread I linked to Amazon for the PS2, soooooo....
You just need a PS2 NA ($40-50 on eBay, don't need disc) plus a MC with the exploit after that. I have spares, sooooo.... I need to get rid of them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: These cotton candy grapes be pretty addictive