Homebrew [Question] Video playback methods

vasalpa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello everyone, I was searching for a way to play videos (with subtitles) with the wii u and the only thing that i found (which works ok) is streaming to html5 via Plex. The bad thing though is that Plex requires a media server, which has to be a PC of some sort. I am searching for a way to do the same thing but with an android device (without using a computer at all). Has anyone found a way to do that?

rw-r-r_0644

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello everyone, I was searching for a way to play videos (with subtitles) with the wii u and the only thing that i found (which works ok) is streaming to html5 via Plex. The bad thing though is that Plex requires a media server, which has to be a PC of some sort. I am searching for a way to do the same thing but with an android device (without using a computer at all). Has anyone found a way to do that?
Just install a web server app (there are many for android), connect your phone to the same wifi, put the videos in the webpages folder, and start it.
The you should be able to load
the videos on the wii u by navigating to your phone's IP Adress.

Last edited by rw-r-r_0644,

vasalpa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just install a web server app (there are many for android), connect your phone to the same wifi, put the videos in the webpages folder, and start it.
The you should be able to load
the videos on the wii u by navigating to your phone's IP Adress.
Do you know any good app which supports subtitles and most video formats? Because I tried some but most videos wouldn't play.

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Do you know any good app which supports subtitles and most video formats? Because I tried some but most videos wouldn't play.
The Wii U doesn't natively support subtitles, which means that the subtitles HAVE to be transcoded into the video before watching, which means using PLEX, Serviio, Emby, or something similar. None of these have an android server AFAIK, but they do have NAS variants, which can be installed onto a NAS. Actually, most NAS already have some form of media transcoding already available though. But in short, good luck doing it with just Android.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: This song has been my latest Kero Kero Bonito obsession. It's just so chill...