[Question] Video playback methods

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by vasalpa, Mar 15, 2017.

1. vasalpa
    OP

vasalpa GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2009
    Hello everyone, I was searching for a way to play videos (with subtitles) with the wii u and the only thing that i found (which works ok) is streaming to html5 via Plex. The bad thing though is that Plex requires a media server, which has to be a PC of some sort. I am searching for a way to do the same thing but with an android device (without using a computer at all). Has anyone found a way to do that?

2. rw-r-r_0644

rw-r-r_0644 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Italy
    Just install a web server app (there are many for android), connect your phone to the same wifi, put the videos in the webpages folder, and start it.
    The you should be able to load
    the videos on the wii u by navigating to your phone's IP Adress.

Last edited by rw-r-r_0644, Mar 15, 2017
  3. vasalpa
    OP

vasalpa GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2009
    Do you know any good app which supports subtitles and most video formats? Because I tried some but most videos wouldn't play.

4. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    The Wii U doesn't natively support subtitles, which means that the subtitles HAVE to be transcoded into the video before watching, which means using PLEX, Serviio, Emby, or something similar. None of these have an android server AFAIK, but they do have NAS variants, which can be installed onto a NAS. Actually, most NAS already have some form of media transcoding already available though. But in short, good luck doing it with just Android.