NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I'm currently using an HP 24ea monitor and it's creating this bizarre coil whine noise that I'm unable to stop. Could someone please help me diagnose the cause?

The monitor is connected to a power source, 3.5mm audio out to external speakers, and HDMI port is connected to an HDMI switcher (the monitor only has one HDMI port). The coil whine sound is coming from the HDMI port itself and not the monitor's built-in speakers, it goes up and down rapidly in pitch much like a police car siren accompanied by another constant-pitched noise in the background. This sound only occurs when an HDMI device is plugged in and the monitor is on standby, if the monitor is turned on by either an HDMI signal or pressing one of the menu keys, the noise immediately stops. It resumes instantly when the monitor returns to standby. Usually it's quiet but it can turn louder at random times.

I have tried the following things, which did NOT fix the issue:
- Use a different power cable with the same wall socket
- Use the same power cable with a different wall socket
- Use a different power cable with a different wall socket
- Use a different HDMI cable connected to the same HDMI output device
- Use the same HDMI cable connected to a different HDMI output device
- Use a different HDMI cable connected to a different HDMI output device
- Unplug everything and leave for an hour before plugging back in
- Relocate the monitor to a different room of the same building
- Unplug the audio-out cable
- Unplug other devices from the power source at the wall
- Enabling/disabling auto-switcher in the monitor's menu

I have tried the following things, which DID stop the sound, but also defeats the point of having a monitor in the first place:
- Turning off the monitor's power while leaving it plugged in to its power supply
- Unplugging the power cable from the monitor but leaving it plugged in at the wall
- Unplugging the power cable from the wall but leaving it plugged in at the monitor
- Disconnecting the HDMI cable from the monitor but leaving it plugged in at the output device
- Disconnecting the HDMI cable from the output device but leaving it plugged in at the monitor

Oddly enough, if I plug certain brands of HDMI capture card at the HDMI source and then pass through to the monitor, sometimes it can eliminate the alternating pitch but the constant-pitched noise still remains. This is sporadic and only happens 75% of the time even when repeating the test using the same capture device. I also prefer not to use this method because the capture devices either add a 20-second delay in detecting a signal (e.g. turn on games console, wait 20 seconds for the capture device to detect an HDMI signal before turning on the monitor), or it degrades the passthrough signal and produces a poor-quality image on the monitor.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
That sounds very concerning and you should probably open a support ticket with the monitor manufacturer with everything written here in it
Thanks, I'll get in touch with HP about it.

I also noticed that a powered USB hub elsewhere in the room was making the same noise from its power cable, which didn't happen before. Strange.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head