Question about PSUs

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by mflo, Feb 6, 2008.

1. mflo
    OP

mflo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    okie doke. I plan on getting an eVGA 512MB 8800GTS. And according to a few google searches, 8800GTS card requires a minimum of 400w with a +12V @ 26amps. I've looked at a lot of PSUs and none of the 12v rails exceed 17-18a. So I'm guessing that the minimum requirement for the 8800GTS is just a sum of the 12v rails?
    So this PSU Here has a total of 35amps on the 12v rails, and that is what counts?

-Thanks in advance

2. Devante

Devante Crescent fresh at best.

Nov 29, 2002
    United States
    How is a regular guy who wants a good graphics card supposed to know about stuff like voltage rails and amps per rail?

Anyway, I'm not completely clear on the whole voltage/rail/amps thing.
    I always though a 500w power supply meant you were getting a 500w power supply. I didn't realize there was so much involved.

3. mflo
    OP

mflo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    I didn't know either. I'm just going to assume that my speculation is correct.

4. Pigiot

Pigiot GBAtemp Regular

Aug 22, 2007
    United States
    New Jersey
    Put it this way. As long as the power supply is sli certified and it is a 8000 series card, it will work. SLI certified power supplies work with all geoforce 8000 series card but make sure it fits in your case.

Edit: forgot to mention that psu will work with that card. dont 4get to take in account every other detail. e.g. proccessor

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice