Question about BootMii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Ganiam, May 18, 2009.

May 18, 2009

Question about BootMii by Ganiam at 12:15 AM (1,402 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Ganiam
    OP

Newcomer Ganiam Member

Canada
    If I've understood this correctly, BootMii lets you backup your entire Wii on an SD card... right? So what exactly does this mean?

Ever since I've downgraded from 3.4 to 3.2, I've been running into Code Dump errors over and over again... could I use another Wii's backup to restore my Wii to a virgin, bug-free state?

Or can the backups only work on the Wii it was made from? Am I misunderstanding what BootMii does?

2. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    only on the wii they came from. all wii's have a different signing on the boot 1 that the boot 0 checks. boot 0 is in an area that can't be written to so that stays the same so the restore will cause the boot 1 to be re written with a different signing on it that boot 0 won't be able to verify. this will cause an un fixable brick. I say unfixable because the boot process fails even before bootmii loads. an infectous could fix it but other than that........

3. Ganiam
    OP

Newcomer Ganiam Member

Canada
    Aw that sucks [​IMG] Guess I'll have to find another solution...

Thanks alot for the fast answer though [​IMG]

4. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    try updating your wii through nintendo and also do you have a custom theme installed

5. Ganiam
    OP

Newcomer Ganiam Member

Canada
    No custom themes.

Would updating through nintendo revirginize my Wii? As in, scan for everything pirated and delete them?

Also, if I update from Nintendo, will it automatically update to the latest version?

6. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It will update you to 4.0, the latest version. You can always downgrade again when you're done if you feel you need to.

No, it doesn't scan for pirated stuff.

7. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    in fact the latest nintendo update fails to delete the pirates greatest tool. the CIOS.

8. Ganiam
    OP

Newcomer Ganiam Member

Canada
    So if the problem is somewhere else, updating won't really change anything will it?

I'm confused :/

Will try it, though.

9. FenrirWolf

United States
    You'll need to install a patched IOS60 to play installed VC games from the SD Card menu, but other than that 4.0 doesn't get in the way of much.

10. Ganiam
    OP

Newcomer Ganiam Member

Canada
    But that can be patched after upgrading, right?

11. FenrirWolf

United States
    As long as cIOS works, yes. Try reinstalling Rev10 to see if that fixes your problem. Frankly, I don't see how that could be causing code dumps.

In fact, when do you get code dumps? Just at random or when entering a certain channel?

12. Ganiam
    OP

Newcomer Ganiam Member

Canada
    I get Code Dumps when staying too long in the game selection screen of the USB Loader, sometimes when installing big WADs in WAD Manager and other times when homebrew program try to access the internet, like the Downgrader and Homebrew Browser, or when I try a network update of another homebrew program.

All of these stop happening (except when installing big WADs) if I install cIOS_FIX.WAD but that prevents USB Loader from working, so I keep going back and forth between cIOS_FIX and Rev10 :/

13. FenrirWolf

United States
    Well, I suppose you could always give Rev9 a shot. Rev10 hasn't given me a single bug, so I don't know why it doesn't seem to like your Wii.

14. Ganiam
    OP

Newcomer Ganiam Member

Canada
    Tried it too, didn't fix a thing :/

I've seen many people with the same problem, no one seems to know what's going on [​IMG]

15. Ganiam
    OP

Newcomer Ganiam Member

Canada
    Also, I even tried following a guide to revirginize my Wii and when I reinstalled everything I ended up with the same error, as if the problem was somewhere else :S