fire walk with me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
John Carmack and IGN says so. I don't like Carmack that much but this is great news for DS. 8 Player multiplayer please !!!!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/810/810648p1.html

IGN said:
August 3, 2007 - At John Carmack's keynote speech tonight at this year's QuakeCon, the millionaire programmer made mention that there may be a version of Quake Arena in the works for the Nintendo DS.

During the keynote he mentioned that, conceptually, he'd like it to be a game that's more restrictive, limited movement via D-pad like Doom and not "touch controlled" like Metroid Prime Hunters.

No other details have been revealed, but we'll keep on this announcement.

Quake 3 Arena is a multiplayer-focused version of the Quake series, originally developed on the PC back in 1999. In the past, Quake has unofficially been ported to the Nintendo DS by the underground programming scene, but not as a full retail product.

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first saw this I thought "fucking rickrollers!" lol. But I guess that's kinda died down now. I do love some multiplayer FPS'ing, but I'm not so sure about no touch control.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I really liked quake 3 arena on the PC, but at least that had a mouse. I do think that aiming will still also be done via the stylus really (it is the closest thing to a precise aiming device on the DS). How else would they manage aiming in large maps with height differences? Probably they will add auto aim with auto center (meaning you'll have auto aim but if you need to aim lower or higher you use your stylus). Can't really imagine them doing it any other way.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Not using touch controls for mouse-look is bloody ridiculous. Sounds more like Quake than Quake 3....

Can the DS even handle Quake 3? I'd have thought not.

Flozem

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good to hear the gothfather of FPS is looking into making games for the DS... We certainly need some more good FPS (and RTS - Blizzard!!!!) games.

Not using touch controls for mouse-look is bloody ridiculous. Sounds more like Quake than Quake 3....

Quake has mousecontrol - you prolly mean Doom, where aiming up/down was not necessary as everything was fake 3d.

As for handling Quake3 - I guess it could be done with tuned down graphics. If homebrewers have gotten Quake and Duke3d running and Quake2 upcoming, then why not a Quake3 officially redesigned for the NDS; maybe with a new engine? Metroïd Prime Hunters was basically the same deal, though with limited "Arena" options and less players...

PS: I agree the "not-using-touchscreen-control" is worrying... I kind of like there being some need of skill to aim in-game. I would hate to feel like using an aim-bot all the time.
tongue.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

The title of this topic is a little misleading. Carmack never said Quake 3 Arena.....he said QUAKE ARENA! So I'm guessing its Quake with Q3A's multiplayer setup
cool.gif

Pedro UK

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe the payoff for simplified controls and restricted looking could be faster, smoother framerates and more players online. I do think calling it Quake would be a misnomer though. DooM seems like a good name to me!

Regardless, I have faith that John Carmack will create something cool. His track record ain't that bad! And his Mobile phone games are really impressive.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Microsoft is worth 3.2 Trillion according to Google lol