Quake 3 Arena heading to DS !!!

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Icarus, Aug 4, 2007.

Aug 4, 2007

Quake 3 Arena heading to DS !!! by Icarus at 8:30 AM (1,412 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Icarus
    OP

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    John Carmack and IGN says so. I don't like Carmack that much but this is great news for DS. 8 Player multiplayer please !!!!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/810/810648p1.html

2. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    When I first saw this I thought "fucking rickrollers!" lol. But I guess that's kinda died down now. I do love some multiplayer FPS'ing, but I'm not so sure about no touch control.

3. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Well I really liked quake 3 arena on the PC, but at least that had a mouse. I do think that aiming will still also be done via the stylus really (it is the closest thing to a precise aiming device on the DS). How else would they manage aiming in large maps with height differences? Probably they will add auto aim with auto center (meaning you'll have auto aim but if you need to aim lower or higher you use your stylus). Can't really imagine them doing it any other way.

4. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    They could always use the ABXY buttons for aiming, Scorpei

5. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Not using touch controls for mouse-look is bloody ridiculous. Sounds more like Quake than Quake 3....

Can the DS even handle Quake 3? I'd have thought not.

6. Flozem

Member Flozem GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Good to hear the gothfather of FPS is looking into making games for the DS... We certainly need some more good FPS (and RTS - Blizzard!!!!) games.

Quake has mousecontrol - you prolly mean Doom, where aiming up/down was not necessary as everything was fake 3d.

As for handling Quake3 - I guess it could be done with tuned down graphics. If homebrewers have gotten Quake and Duke3d running and Quake2 upcoming, then why not a Quake3 officially redesigned for the NDS; maybe with a new engine? Metroïd Prime Hunters was basically the same deal, though with limited "Arena" options and less players...

PS: I agree the "not-using-touchscreen-control" is worrying... I kind of like there being some need of skill to aim in-game. I would hate to feel like using an aim-bot all the time. [​IMG]

7. Canadacdn

Member Canadacdn GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    If this is real, and has no touch support, that would be EXTREMELY disappointing.

8. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    not using the touch screen makes this 100% worthless to me, just cancel the whole damn game.

9. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Lets play the Quake homebrew project instead! [​IMG]

10. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    The title of this topic is a little misleading. Carmack never said Quake 3 Arena.....he said QUAKE ARENA! So I'm guessing its Quake with Q3A's multiplayer setup [​IMG]

11. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    They should include the dedicated server executable, or a DS equivalent.

12. grifter

Member grifter GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    goldness

13. Pedro UK

Member Pedro UK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Maybe the payoff for simplified controls and restricted looking could be faster, smoother framerates and more players online. I do think calling it Quake would be a misnomer though. DooM seems like a good name to me!

Regardless, I have faith that John Carmack will create something cool. His track record ain't that bad! And his Mobile phone games are really impressive. [​IMG]