Quake 1 gets a silent release on the Nintendo Switch, PS4/5, Xbox One and Series plus PC.

Out of the blue, one of the games from the id's Holy Trinity of Classics, Quake, hits the Nintendo Switch, PS4/5, Xbox One/Series and PC on a rather quiet release, with the price of $9.99.

The original Quake released back in 1996 saw the main protagonist go against an ancient evil and its hordes of Lovecraftian creatures. This port is an enhanced version of the original, featuring widescreen and 1080p support, enhanced models, revamped lighting, and much more, including the original 2 Expansion packs and 2 new ones added in this exclusive release.

You can check out the full list of features that this port includes in the official Nintendo eShop page.

eShop Page said:
Developed by the award-winning id Software, Quake® is the ground-breaking, original dark fantasy first-person shooter that inspires today’s retro-style FPS games. Now, experience the authentic, updated, and visually enhanced version of the original.

Experience the Original Game, Enhanced
Enjoy the original, authentic version of Quake, now with up to 1080p* and widescreen resolution support, enhanced models, dynamic and colored lighting, anti-aliasing, depth of field, the original, atmospheric soundtrack and theme song by Trent Reznor, and more. There’s never been a better time to play Quake.

Play the Dark Fantasy Campaign
You are Ranger, a warrior armed with a powerful arsenal of weapons. Fight corrupted knights, deformed ogres and an army of twisted creatures across four dark dimensions of infested military bases, ancient medieval castles, lava-filled dungeons and gothic cathedrals in search of the four magic runes. Only after you have collected the runes will you hold the power to defeat the ancient evil that threatens all of humanity.

Get the Original & New Expansion Packs
Quake also comes with both original expansion packs: “The Scourge of Armagon” and “Dissolution of Eternity,” as well as two expansions developed by the award-winning team at MachineGames: “Dimension of the Past,” and the all-new “Dimension of the Machine.”

Discover the All-New “Dimension of the Machine” Expansion
In the deepest depths of the labyrinth lies the core of lava and steel known only as The Machine. Crusade across time and space against the forces of evil to bring together the lost runes, power the dormant machine, and open the portal hiding the greatest threat to all known worlds—destroy it...before it destroys us all.

Enjoy Online & Local Multiplayer and CO-OP
Fight through the dark fantasy base campaign and expansions in 4-player online or local split-screen co-op, and compete in pure, retro-style combat with support for 8-player (online) or 4-player (local split-screen) matches. Featuring dedicated server support for online matchmaking and peer-to-peer support for custom matches.

Download Additional, Free Mods & Missions
Expand your experience with free, curated, fan-made and official mods and missions such as Quake 64, which is available to download and play now. More fan-made and official mods and missions coming soon.

Play Together with Crossplay
Play the campaign and all expansion packs cooperatively or go toe-to-toe in multiplayer matches with your friends regardless of platform! Crossplay is supported among PC (controller-enabled), Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch.

Motion Aiming Ready
Improve your gunplay with an option that allows you to aim using gyro controls. The option can be used in conjunction with the control stick for the perfect blend of immersion and accuracy.

*Maximum display resolutions vary by platform.

:arrow: Source

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download Additional, Free Mods & Missions
Expand your experience with free, curated, fan-made and official mods and missions such as Quake 64, which is available to download and play now. More fan-made and official mods and missions coming soon.

Hmm... I wonder if there will be a way to put your own in there somehow. I still have a Malice total conversion CD floating around somewhere, and something makes me want to show off Quake Rally to my friends on my Switch really bad for no good or sensible reason.

bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I wonder if there will be a way to put your own in there somehow. I still have a Malice total conversion CD floating around somewhere, and something makes me want to show off Quake Rally to my friends on my Switch really bad for no good or sensible reason.
Probably not without homebrew. Bethesda has these mods as pre-approved DLC only. They did it with Doom 1&2 and I don't think they have any plans on changing it.

Switch loses again.

Last edited by bonkmaykr,
Reactions: orangy57

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not without homebrew. Bethesda has these mods as pre-approved DLC only. They did it with Doom 1&2 and I don't think they have any plans on changing it.

Switch loses again.

Oh, I most certainly expected hacking would need to be involved. I just hope it's something that becomes a thing. It would be nice to be able to play some of those old TC's and mods on the go w/ the graphical improvements (higher rez and lighting). Sure we can play it w/ Retro Arch, but this would be better I think.

TheXpertXD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neither did I haha
It came as a really lovely surprise, apparently it got unveiled on QuakeCon.
What a lovely way to go back to Quake, I hope they do the same for Quake 2 as I'd really love to experience that one.
Quake 1, 2 and 3 are all up on the microsoft store + game pass, at least on the xbox side of things :D

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, I most certainly expected hacking would need to be involved. I just hope it's something that becomes a thing. It would be nice to be able to play some of those old TC's and mods on the go w/ the graphical improvements (higher rez and lighting). Sure we can play it w/ Retro Arch, but this would be better I think.
Quakespasm was ported to Switch and is much better than this Nightdive port.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

After playing quakespasm on switch countless times the aiming feels way off even at max sensitivity. Otherwise a great port
I think its possibly a vsync issue? This port has tons of shaders and stuff which people on pc have said that those with vsync on has caused input lag and so most have been turning vsync off. We don't get that choice.

spriteice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think its possibly a vsync issue? This port has tons of shaders and stuff which people on pc have said that those with vsync on has caused input lag and so most have been turning vsync off. We don't get that choice.

It feels like a form of look acceleration to me, hopefully they add an option to disable it

Reactions: bonkmaykr

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It feels like a form of look acceleration to me, hopefully they add an option to disable it
They probably will. The people who worked on this port (as well as the Doom 1/2 Unity ports) are very responsive to issues and feedback. That's why the Unity Doom ports are as good as they are now ; )

Last edited by Wavy,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Even yesterday I was playing some Quake 3 (through ioquake on FreeBSD), never played Quake 1 but will most likely get this and try it out!

Reactions: bonkmaykr

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: