Quake 1 gets a silent release on the Nintendo Switch, PS4/5, Xbox One and Series plus PC.

Out of the blue, one of the games from the id's Holy Trinity of Classics, Quake, hits the Nintendo Switch, PS4/5, Xbox One/Series and PC on a rather quiet release, with the price of $9.99.

The original Quake released back in 1996 saw the main protagonist go against an ancient evil and its hordes of Lovecraftian creatures. This port is an enhanced version of the original, featuring widescreen and 1080p support, enhanced models, revamped lighting, and much more, including the original 2 Expansion packs and 2 new ones added in this exclusive release.

You can check out the full list of features that this port includes in the official Nintendo eShop page.

eShop Page said:
Developed by the award-winning id Software, Quake® is the ground-breaking, original dark fantasy first-person shooter that inspires today’s retro-style FPS games. Now, experience the authentic, updated, and visually enhanced version of the original.

Experience the Original Game, Enhanced
Enjoy the original, authentic version of Quake, now with up to 1080p* and widescreen resolution support, enhanced models, dynamic and colored lighting, anti-aliasing, depth of field, the original, atmospheric soundtrack and theme song by Trent Reznor, and more. There’s never been a better time to play Quake.

Play the Dark Fantasy Campaign
You are Ranger, a warrior armed with a powerful arsenal of weapons. Fight corrupted knights, deformed ogres and an army of twisted creatures across four dark dimensions of infested military bases, ancient medieval castles, lava-filled dungeons and gothic cathedrals in search of the four magic runes. Only after you have collected the runes will you hold the power to defeat the ancient evil that threatens all of humanity.

Get the Original & New Expansion Packs
Quake also comes with both original expansion packs: “The Scourge of Armagon” and “Dissolution of Eternity,” as well as two expansions developed by the award-winning team at MachineGames: “Dimension of the Past,” and the all-new “Dimension of the Machine.”

Discover the All-New “Dimension of the Machine” Expansion
In the deepest depths of the labyrinth lies the core of lava and steel known only as The Machine. Crusade across time and space against the forces of evil to bring together the lost runes, power the dormant machine, and open the portal hiding the greatest threat to all known worlds—destroy it...before it destroys us all.

Enjoy Online & Local Multiplayer and CO-OP
Fight through the dark fantasy base campaign and expansions in 4-player online or local split-screen co-op, and compete in pure, retro-style combat with support for 8-player (online) or 4-player (local split-screen) matches. Featuring dedicated server support for online matchmaking and peer-to-peer support for custom matches.

Download Additional, Free Mods & Missions
Expand your experience with free, curated, fan-made and official mods and missions such as Quake 64, which is available to download and play now. More fan-made and official mods and missions coming soon.

Play Together with Crossplay
Play the campaign and all expansion packs cooperatively or go toe-to-toe in multiplayer matches with your friends regardless of platform! Crossplay is supported among PC (controller-enabled), Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch.

Motion Aiming Ready
Improve your gunplay with an option that allows you to aim using gyro controls. The option can be used in conjunction with the control stick for the perfect blend of immersion and accuracy.

*Maximum display resolutions vary by platform.

:arrow: Source

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
They added new lighting FX.

Then again... It doesn't look as good as Darkplaces.
Darkplaces tries too hard and ruined the atmosphere for me. The effects in this port are more natural and don't distract me. Except motion blur. That needs to disappear.

Reactions: Wavy

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quakespasm was ported to Switch and is much better than this Nightdive port.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think its possibly a vsync issue? This port has tons of shaders and stuff which people on pc have said that those with vsync on has caused input lag and so most have been turning vsync off. We don't get that choice.

Oh, nice. Thanks for the tip. PSO:NG has been taking up way too much too my time lately and I've not been following Switch stuff as much as I probably should (or I would have known that). I'll give that a shot. Thanks, again.

Reactions: bonkmaykr

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of weird to do a stealth drop but a welcome surprise

Quakespasm was ported to Switch and is much better than this Nightdive port.

I think its possibly a vsync issue? This port has tons of shaders and stuff which people on pc have said that those with vsync on has caused input lag and so most have been turning vsync off. We don't get that choice.

Yes because everyone is going to mod their Switch to play homebrew /s. Also MVG ported it and to call it lazy or inferior is kind of stupid.

Reactions: Wavy and bonkmaykr

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of weird to do a stealth drop but a welcome surprise

Yes because everyone is going to mod their Switch to play homebrew /s. Also MVG ported it and to call it lazy or inferior is kind of stupid.

That was in response to me hoping that we could add our own (and to be clear I don't mean created by me/us, just things I/we have in my/our library) TC's, mods, etc. at some point. I think we all know that if you want to drop in your own PAK's it will require the hacking scene to get us there w/ this release. There are a lot of TC's and mod's that a lot of us Quake players would like to revisit under an improved engine and on the go. You can be assured that MANY of those will not be included in the "curated and free to download" titles available.

I made it clear enough to Purple_Shyguy that I CAN run homebrew on my Switch. His response was to me, not a recommendation to every Switch owner.

That being said... I would STILL like to see a way to use my own PAK's w/ this release. This release is "mainstream" and requires no modification to your Switch. If there were a PC tool to repack PAK's w/ whatever protection measure they are using (encryption, singnatures, ???) and a tutorial on where to put the files on your SD... This will only bring in more players and creators for Quake engine content.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country

The guy I was responding to was literally asking for a way to run mods on a switch that included hacking.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
You tell me.

I never said it was, someone else did. All I’m saying is that the RTX Quake “Mod” is free, but you need a copy of the actual game. Which I had to pay for when I got it. Whether or not the full version of Quake 2 is available for free somewhere now I don’t know.

bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I never said it was, someone else did. All I’m saying is that the RTX Quake “Mod” is free, but you need a copy of the actual game. Which I had to pay for when I got it. Whether or not the full version of Quake 2 is available for free somewhere now I don’t know.
Yes, and absolutely none of this is directed at you, so stop taking it to heart.

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Apparently this is a true Nightdive release, in that it does not actually run on the Quake engine but instead runs on the Kex engine. Which is likely the reason mod support is so limited, each mod they would release would need to be rebuilt from the ground up for a completely new engine. I've also heard the new episode can't run in actual Quake engines yet... don't know what it'll take to fix that.

I get that Nightdive does good work, making old FPSs playable by reworking them into their Kex engine... but this just was not the right way to do this for Quake. It feels like cramming Doom into the Unity engine. It's cute but it's not Doom anymore. And it's not like there's any shortage of Quake source code, id themselves maintains a Github repository for it.
I do realize I'm being overly negative here, it's great that Quake has a rerelease with all the multiplayer bits but this irritates me a lot more than it should.
For the record, KEX isn't really an engine. It's more of a framework with useful utilities to help streamline actual engine development. So you still need to implement the actual engine code (in this case Quake) yourself. So this is still the Quake engine, it's just using the KEX framework.

Last edited by Wavy,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is a great version of Quake. Very enjoyable.
Though, I have a small complain... just in case the developers read this and come up with a patch.

It would be nice to be able to select which axes control aiming in motion controls.

At least in PS5 (and PS4 I guess) you aim vertically rotating over the y axis, and you aim horizontally rotating over the z axis.

The latter I find very uncomfortable, it feels like using your controls like a made up driving wheel and doesn't feel good for aiming for me. I would prefer to be able to set up horizontal aiming to rotations over the x axis.

PS: very badly drawn reference.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 101

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol