GCN Qoob Pro vs xenoGC and other questions..

justin138

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Hi, everyone. I've stumbled upon this community by searching google for a review of the Qoob Pro and knew I had to make an account.

I've recently been wanting to mod my Gamecube, but I'm not sure with which chip. The Qoob seems to be sold out nearly everywhere and retails for $55. The xenoGC, however, is $15 and easily attainable. What is the difference, though? I can't really see a difference of $40 just because the Qoob can run multi-game discs and be updated..is there better game compatibility?

Also, some more noob questions;
- How easy is it to compile a multi-game disc? Is it even worth it(no case mod here so I'm using 1.46 GB mini-DVDs)?
- Do any retail games go over 1.46GB?
- Is there a recommended Gamecube model to get? Do certain revisions have better lasers or better luck with various burned media like with the Playstation 2?
- Pot mod ..if I have a launch Gamecube am I going to have to tinker with it? What if I buy a new Gamecube?
- Some emulators look crippled and I could only find 2 homebrew releases..are these things still being developed?
- Do a lot of games have sound problems or other problems? I saw a couple were noted in the review of the Qoob chip, but is this just a rare freak occurance or does it happen often?
- Is now the time to get a chip? There are some rare betas I am going to be getting my hands on of certain games and I'm tempted now more than ever to do this but the scene still seems a bit slower than I would like it to be. That sort of makes me want to step up now, though -- as it seems there won't be many more new chips from this point forward.
With a chip in my Cube, will it be detected as a hack if I play online with PSO?

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Morning,
Okay I have the QoobSX not Pro as I didn't need a MP3player. But to answer your questions

Compiling a multi game disc is easy but pointless as the gamecube can't read past the 1.4 mark anyway. So it's only good if you find some games to shrink and combine.

I wasted a LOT of money on mini DVDs till even though I had the flip top mod cause I like things to be original.....in the end FULL SIZE DVDs are the way to go. Mini DVDs and your Cube....the media will determine it's compatability by what DVD BURNER you have.

The later versions (V3) Of the gamecube are more of a bitch as you have to run wires to the underneath....and I recently found out Nintendo got rid of the component hook up (assholes) but way I see it, go for the newest one you can find and the laser should be at its best. I have not had to adjust my pot yet....I smoked a lot of pot....but never adjusted any....also the laser is sensitive so do you want some 1st gen cube that some 9 year old shit beat the hell out of everytime his Pokemon died? (No offense to 9 year olds)

I have no sound problems if you use the right MEDIA. At first there was some sound issues but now I use full size TDK+Rs and life is orgasmic.

Is now the time to get a chip.....pretty much...however the Viper Xtreme has a 2.0 something or another that will allow USB support? Uh what? Meaning you can use your computer as an HD LOader? Dunno I don;t have one but check this out:
Info on Viper Xtreme
Sounds pretty f'in sweet to me....not sure how reliable that product is...sounds nice but I can tell you my Qoob rocks some socks.

No idea on homebrew, sorry cochese to busy playing all the fantastic Gamecube games to want to go backwords. Plus Nintenty officially ported over the Zeldas so I am alllll good....

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have easily put a 1000 hours on my cube with no issues as of yet. Here is the situation, I spent 75 bucks finding mini media that works with my DVD burner/Gamecube combo...then spent another 80 burning a shit load of mini dvds to find they had some audio issues and were not good back ups (failed the disc check) Way I see it, I use full discs and if the laser goes bad you can buy a new gamecube for what? 50 bucks? and go and replace the laser and not have to remod your cube. Take top half of new cube and swap with old half of gamecube. In other words the fact that cubes are so cheap and it should take 7 minutes to swap out the laser to me makes it more cost effective and easier to use full and shit if you really wanted to go return the cube you just bought.....well that's what I would do. Like I said 1000 hours on full size and nothing wrong so far...except that they take a while to spin down. I was just like you though and like everything being stock hence why I spent so much trying to find the right mini media.....now I have accepted the large discs and love their much cheaper cost.

justin138

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Okay, I think that's everything. In the end, I might just take a gamble with the mini-DVD's..hopefully nothing bad will happen. Really, I only want to play a couple of games..so it probably won't matter.

Thanks a lot!

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
if u only want to play a few games.. then use the bba method...
biggrin.gif
that's what I've grown up with and come to love... kthx, bye
biggrin.gif

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
With the new WIP bios (official version coming soon) out for the Viper Extreme, it introduces streaming straight from your PC to the USB port - eliminating the need to play around with the laser/media (not sure how well it works). Anyway, it looks like it's gonna have tons of features in the future, so that's what I'd go for if I was looking to buy a chip now (and if you didn't like the Cobra bios for some reason you could just load the excellent GCOS on there instead
smile.gif
).
As far as media goes, it'll depend on your cube and your burner, but RitekG04s are almost always agreed on to be the best, however they're very difficult to find these days (but you can get mini-DVD versions of them saving a lid mod if you could find them). Second choice for me are Verbatim DVD+Rs (DataLifePlus) which work excellent in my cube.
As far as the different revisions go, I say get one of the ones with the digital out port (latest model had these removed) so you can get a component cable and plug it in if you wish in the future (enables progressive scan for some games).

Personally, I have a softmod setup, with an SD adapter (homemade) which boots GCOS by using Action Replay, and a replacement lid to let me use full size discs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up