Hacking Qcma versus vitaFTP and other things.

shadowcopalypse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, is there a difference between adding files to the SAVEDATA folder with qcma and vitaFTP?

In addition I'm using 138menu and have put the emulators in a folder in PSP/VHBL/GAMEFOLDER
it doesn't register though. Is that approach wrong? (both ark and tn-v are available. don't know if it's even necessary)

Also I'm on a macintosh and when zipping an install file I'm not sure if 'store' mode carries.
- am considering using linux as an alternate. Are there archiving programs that would work for that?

thanks

Last edited by shadowcopalypse,

Clanver

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Germany
I think that for some applications, QCMA/OpenCMA is needed.

If you simply use vita FTP, they wont work. An example would be some emulators (-> or homebrew in general?). You need to "install" them via transferring them as savedata with CMA. (Like you got TN-V on the vita in the first place) and later install them in the PSP OS.

Transferring Isos/Cso works fine through vitaFTP though.

But like always, i only have semi knowledge and i dont even know why it works like that.

Last edited by Clanver,

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
thats not true you can copy the emulator folders over via vitaFTP it doesnt really matter, i always use vitaFTP its less messing around and more convenient just a bit slower thats all

shadowcopalypse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so after some testing it turns out that for roms to work they have to be moved through qcma, Through vitaFtp they do not. \

Just for supNes, haven't tried any others.

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
There are naming conventions that need to be followed in order for files to be transferred via save. The file name must be all caps [including the extension] and the name must be short, can't recall how long but old school 8.3 should be fine. With emulators from what I recall at least with TN-V they needed to be installed [if your doing it via the save method] in a file called INSTALL.ZIP with the directory structure of PSP/GAME/[Homebrew/s]. So I would assume that would be where they are installed to. As Razor has said, FTP is significantly slower but less fiddly.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually you can transfer multiple ZIPs at once via qCMA, not just one at a time called INSTALL.ZIP. So if you wanted to get a few homebrews across this way you can have ones like FILER.ZIP, FTP.ZIP, FF7.ZIP (PS1 games too, yes), push them all across and install/delete the original file after it's done. Just follow the all uppercase 8.3 naming convention and you can't go far wrong.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so after some testing it turns out that for roms to work they have to be moved through qcma, Through vitaFtp they do not. \

Just for supNes, haven't tried any others.
So this is a fairly old post, but I thought I would share my experience... At first, I transferred all my roms with VitaFTP and FileZilla; I couldn't figure out why practically none of them worked. Then I tried transferring with CMA and was surprised to find they worked... So I decided to do some more experimenting. What I found was that the roms got corrupted over FTP if I tried to transfer of batch of files. If I just sent one file at a time, they worked flawlessly. I don't know if this is an issue with VitaFTP or with the PC client, but try sending one at a time with FTP and see if that helps! (And by one-at-a-time, I simply mean 1 per transfer. You don't have to close out VitaFTP altogether before sending the 2nd file and so on.)

Last edited by TehCupcakes,

shadowcopalypse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
^ ^ everyone seems to have a knack to get theirs to work.

Thus far snes, gpsp, daedalus, pico\Drive, and scummMv work well through transfer with qcma. No install file needed even.

psp iso's work either way.
Psx iso's work through qcma (after being renamed to FBOOT...etc, not going to get into that)
psX don't work on TN-V and appear to be corrupt

emulators that I've not yet had much investment in are Cps1 and Cps2, and NeoGeo. though eagerly am curious.....love those save states.

anyway thanks for the interest and game on

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
psX don't work on TN-V and appear to be corrupt

I've had a couple of Vitas. It's odd but PEOPS for PS1 games via TN-V11 worked on one but not the other, even though I did almost exactly the same setup on both. Doesn't matter though, PEOPS isn't great for emulation, graphics get screen tear and the sound slows the whole game down. TN-X is much better, it's essentially identical to the PS1 support on the PSP. Drawback is older firmwares only...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: